Search

Ten year tourist and business visa - effective 12 Nov 2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:59 pm
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by iahphx

Second, would the 10-year visa be for the life of the passport, or would it extend to a new passport?
I recall reading that persons having valid China visas in expired passport were able to enter showing both expired passport (with visa) and new passport.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Has anyone seen any info on the current 30 day stay rule for tourists? It'd be nice to be able to stay longer at each entry as well.

But still great news!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:25 pm

Chinese press made the point that that the 10-year is a MAXiMUM. Not given automatically. Probably available once you have a good history of travel to China.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPDM
Chinese press made the point that that the 10-year is a MAXiMUM. Not given automatically. Probably available once you have a good history of travel to China.
I'm betting that 10 years will be more or less automatic as long as the US offers the same.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Should be in effect on 11/12/14.

No more work than before. Just add ten years to issue date and enter that on
line for "enter before".

Apparently only effective on tat date for the US. Chinese said "soon". See this good analysis of it by one of the top experts: http://lawandborder.com/u-s-china-re...visa-validity/
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPDM
Apparently only effective on tat date for the US. Chinese said "soon". See this good analysis of it by one of the top experts: http://lawandborder.com/u-s-china-re...visa-validity/
Yes, The US needs to implement the policy immediately, no delays!
It's all about job growth.

White House:
FACT SHEET: Supporting American Job Growth And Strengthening Ties By Extending U.S./China Visa Validity for Tourists, Business Travelers, and Students

1.8 million Chinese travelers visited the United States, contributing $21.1 billion to the U.S. economy and supporting more than 109,000 American jobs.

A competitive visa policy will help us meet projections that suggest as many as 7.3 million Chinese travelers will come to the United States by 2021, contributing nearly $85 billion a year to the economy and supporting up to 440,000 U.S. jobs.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...g-ties-extendi
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm betting that 10 years will be more or less automatic as long as the US offers the same.
Agreed. This is how it has been implemented elsewhere and I doubt that the US would offer reciprocity to PRC nationals otherwise.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Good news for me as the Chinese consulate in New York won't be seeing me every year and sucking a few bucks from my firm. The real good news is for all those Chinese students that have to renew every year which is a pain especially those who don't have families with deep pockets.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:49 pm

It does mean, though, that the Period of Stay you get now becomes real important: you don't want to be stuck with a 30-day limit for 10 years. Especially if China continues its normal practice of cancelling your existing multiple-entry visa if you need to get an extension of stay.

It'll also be interesting to see whether the fine print of the agreement allows 10-year visa applications outside your home country. The US-Russia agreement on 3-year visas has such a clause, but apparently the US-India agreement on 10-year visas doesn't.

As to the new passport problem, perhaps China will follow the Indian practice, in which you can either use your old passport or pay a small fee to have the old visa transferred to your new passport. Or perhaps China will be difficult and not issue a visa longer than your passport validity, which is the Russian approach.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by 889
It does mean, though, that the Period of Stay you get now becomes real important: you don't want to be stuck with a 30-day limit for 10 years. Especially if China continues its normal practice of cancelling your existing multiple-entry visa if you need to get an extension of stay.
I don't know. Day/stay is pretty important to me now (i.e. I make sure to never overstay). My attitude wouldn't be any different if I was on a 10-year visa than it is for the 2-year visas I've been getting. And, I will still try my best to never let my days/stay number drop below 120.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Good idea

Get a fresh passport add the 120 day visa stay.
Move to Shenzen and disappear in China for a decade.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm guessing this courtesy won't be extended to residence permits which will continue to be $160/year....
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good news for both countries.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I'm guessing this courtesy won't be extended to residence permits which will continue to be $160/year....
What does the USA charge for a Chinese citizen to get a residence permit?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What does the USA charge for a Chinese citizen to get a residence permit?
It depends on the type and duration of visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.