Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ten year tourist and business visa - effective 12 Nov 2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by HGHUA
Well I've had a china visa for 8 years running so I had 1 prior china visa in my new 1 year old passport. I did have to show the HKID and HK visa I was here on (photocopies of both). I got a L visa and they wanted to see flight res and hotel res. They weren't turning Americans away but as everyone knows a lot of this is totally YMMV to whatever the mood the lady dragon behind the counter is feeling. (Avoid counter 9, smallish mean looking girl with big glasses). lol.

So you must have HKID for this route? Landing in HK before a China trip is not good enough?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
UK visa centre emailed me that they are already doing 10yr visas.

Are invite letters still needed these days?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
I picked up my 10 year visa yesterday. No problemo. Yay!
Dropped off app Nov 13 at the Chicago consulate. Had requested
1yr ME on the form, but asked when dropping the apps off. The lady said they automatically provided the 10 yr ones now, and that proved true.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:01 pm
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by flyernick
The lady said they automatically provided the 10 yr ones now, and that proved true.
10 year default with zero conditions.
Good deal.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seaskybound
So you must have HKID for this route? Landing in HK before a China trip is not good enough?
Well I guess technically speaking you need to have a HK visa & HKID to prove you are resident. They were pretty specific of wanting copies of both.

Now I have heard of cases where people are successful IF they go through a agency to submit but I've also heard of cases where sometimes people are successful in getting a single entry without a HKID directly.

Its all a very YMMV situation but I'm guessing you don't have a very good chance without them.

Oh and don't go expecting same day service. They offer this to no-one. Best is 2 day for Rush and 3 normally. 4 if you use a service.

You also can't use a CC to pay the fees like in the US. So that's 140 points down the toilet.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:53 pm

Like Sunrise, Forever Bright in Hong Kong is now also advertising "Good news for American passport holder. You may apply 10 years multi entry visa for each entry to stay 60 days. Contact us for details!" So call these places for details. Remember that whatever today’s policy, it may be different in a few weeks.

There’s also a comment somewhat vague on the point on another board: "Just received a 10 year, 60 day per entry, M visa in Hong Kong. Application process took two days and there were no special questions asked or requirements. Just a typical application."

Last edited by 889; Nov 21, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Glad to see these being issued so quickly. Bummer for me that I literally missed this by a few weeks. Literally applied 10/31.

At least I got a 2 year...
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Same here- I applied a couple days before the new policy took effect, but I'm now stuck with a 2-entry half-year visa. Granted, it was partially because I decided to apply in person at YVR for same-day service rather than deal with a visa agent or fly to the nearest consulate in the US. Hope this new visa generosity sticks around until my visa expires.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:56 am
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I'm in Athens now, flying to China in a few days. I got my passport renewed in Sept. and a Chinese Visa a few days ago in SF. I just noticed the visa expiration is in 2024, and I was about to post in the visa thread thinking this was a mistake. Shows how clued in I was to the visa changes. I applied for a 1 yr multi-entry on the application. The 10yr visa I received allows 60 days/entry and expires a couple of months after my passport. Strangely, I distinctly remember hearing someone else at the consulate when I was picking up my visa complain that he applied for a 2yr multi-entry and didn't get one, and the consular officer explaining that w/o evidence of Chinese relative, 2yr visa won't be issued. So perhaps 10yr visa is not being handed out as default? I had several 1yr visas in my old passport.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Congrats on joining the "10 Year Club" with us, even if unintentionally.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by aau
Strangely, I distinctly remember hearing someone else at the consulate when I was picking up my visa complain that he applied for a 2yr multi-entry and didn't get one, and the consular officer explaining that w/o evidence of Chinese relative, 2yr visa won't be issued. So perhaps 10yr visa is not being handed out as default? I had several 1yr visas in my old passport.
You don't have all the info though. He may have required more than 60 days per stay. I just talked to the Houston office of mychinavisa.com (who have done many 12 month multis/90 days for me in the past) and they said that with just over 13 months of passport life left, I CAN apply for the 10-year but would have to content myself with 60 days per stay, and that if the primary criteria was wanting 90 days or longer, I'd have to stick with a 12 month (as a non-ethnic Chinese without relatives in China). That's nothing new.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:32 am

Also might have been a Canadian or other non-US applicant.

I did come across one agency that said they would handle 10-year applications only from native-born Americans and naturalized former Chinese citizens. That is, they wouldn’t handle applications from naturalized Americans not born in China. Not clear if this reflected official policy or if it was just the agency’s own odd policy.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:53 pm
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by 889
That is, they wouldn’t handle applications from naturalized Americans not born in China. Not clear if this reflected official policy or if it was just the agency’s own odd policy.
LA consulatewill give naturalized us citizens born in China 10 year 60 day. Don't know if
they exclude naturalized Americans not born in China.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:49 pm

My colleague received his 10-year, multiple-entry, 60 day business (M) visa from the NY Consulate last week. Only difference with previous applications was that the original invitation letter was required, whereas before a scan was sufficient.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just got 10-year/90-day M from NYC without even asking for it.

P.S. My invite letter was a copy without any issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.