Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ten year tourist and business visa - effective 12 Nov 2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
MyChinaVisa has important information on permitted stay under the ten-year visa. It seems it will be sixty days for L and M visas. According to the FAQ there, you may be able to get a longer stay, but not on a ten-year visa, unless you qualify for an S2 or Q2 visa.

"All US passport holders can apply for a 10-year multiple entry visa in the following categories: tourist (L), business (M), and family visit (Q2 & S2). For 10-year multiple entry visas, the duration of stay (the number of days you can stay in China per entry) is 60 days for L & M visas; 90 days for S2 visa and 120 days for Q2 visa. If you want to stay for more than 60 days (L & M visas), 90 day (S2 visa) or 120 days (Q2 visa) per entry, you may be issued a 1- or 2-year multiple entry visa, not a 10-year visa."
Has anyone found out if USA passport holders are able to receive the 10 year M visa in HK? I will apply in early January if this is the case (my current visa expires end of December).
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:58 am

Sunrise International is a visa agent in the same building as the HK Visa Office, and their website now advertises the availability of ten-year visas to American passport holders. It's too late in the day to "call for details" so we don't know yet whether this is available to all Americans or only those with HK IDs.

Last edited by 889; Nov 15, 2014 at 8:38 am
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well I'll drop by on Monday and try... again.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by 889
MyChinaVisa has important information on permitted stay under the ten-year visa. It seems it will be sixty days for L and M visas. According to the FAQ there, you may be able to get a longer stay, but not on a ten-year visa, unless you qualify for an S2 or Q2 visa.

"All US passport holders can apply for a 10-year multiple entry visa in the following categories: tourist (L), business (M), and family visit (Q2 & S2). For 10-year multiple entry visas, the duration of stay (the number of days you can stay in China per entry) is 60 days for L & M visas; 90 days for S2 visa and 120 days for Q2 visa. If you want to stay for more than 60 days (L & M visas), 90 day (S2 visa) or 120 days (Q2 visa) per entry, you may be issued a 1- or 2-year multiple entry visa, not a 10-year visa."
This is an important point. Especially for those of us who have 90-day and longer stay durations on our L's and M's and would like to keep them.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:38 am

According Chinese foreign ministry statement, condition to get ten years visa is same as one year visa before. Thus,DC embassy with first timer visitor still correspond with this statement. The condition of 60 day is already attached to 10 years visa. I expect more condition will be added after a while.
It seems to be every Chinese get 10 years visa if get visa approval ,right now.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travel69
According Chinese foreign ministry statement, condition to get ten years visa is same as one year visa before. Thus,DC embassy with first timer visitor still correspond with this statement. The condition of 60 day is already attached to 10 years visa. I expect more condition will be added after a while.
It seems to be every Chinese get 10 years visa if get visa approval ,right now.
I am far from convinced that the 60 day/stay limit is set in stone.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:20 pm
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
Maximum duration of stay

checked a few websites that mention the new 10 year visa.

http://www.visarite.com/faq.htm#.VGe8jDTF-So

A: The minimum condition is: passport has more than 15 months validity and has at least 2 blank visa pages. Duration of stay needed is no more than 60 days/per visit for M or L Visa. If you need over 60 days stay, Chinese Consulate will issue only up to 1 year visa.

http://www.expressvisa2china.com/

** To apply 90 days or longer for each entry stay, please fill a reason at section 3.7 of"Visa Application Form of the People's Republic of China" (Form v.2013)*

China tourist visa (L visa),China business visa (M visa), China short term private affairs visa (S2 visa) 10 years* Multiple 60, 90 days**

http://www.visa2china.com/fees/
Chinese visa for US passport holders
Processing time Number of entries Duration of stay
(days per entry) Consular
fee Service
fee Subtotal
regular 6-7 days single 60 (max 180) $140.00 $100.00 $240.00
1-2-5-10 year multiple 60 (max 90/180)

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Nov 15, 2014 at 2:35 pm
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxytxn
I am so excited about this. My visa agent contacted me yesterday about this. I'll apply in
January for this after my new passport is in my hands. This will save me so much time and less stress.
Yeah, we got an e-mail from the place we get visas, they had a photo of someone with a 10-year visa.

While they of course blacked out the personal info I noted that the visa type was Q2--the visa for those with family over there.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
So I went in and submitted sucessfully for a 10 year, 60 day visa at the HK visa office. They started accepting apps today. Yah! =

Pickup in 3 days.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:56 am

Congratulations!

Were there any conditions whatever? Did you show a HK ID card? Did they look through your passport for previous China visas? Did you get an L or an M, and did you need tickets or reservations or any other suppporting documents? Did they seem to be turning any Americans away?

My memory is sometimes off, but I have a vague recollection that there was a time long ago when the HK visa office did not like brand new passports because they didn't have a HK entry stamp (now an entry slip). Applicants first had to go to Macau and re-enter Hong Kong to get the stamp. If there still is such a policy it'll be a hassle for the many who are going to start showing up at the visa office in two or three weeks with their new ten-year passports.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:23 am

Well I've had a china visa for 8 years running so I had 1 prior china visa in my new 1 year old passport. I did have to show the HKID and HK visa I was here on (photocopies of both). I got a L visa and they wanted to see flight res and hotel res. They weren't turning Americans away but as everyone knows a lot of this is totally YMMV to whatever the mood the lady dragon behind the counter is feeling. (Avoid counter 9, smallish mean looking girl with big glasses). lol.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:30 am

Thank you!

(I'm willing to pay Sunrise just to avoid dealing with those women at the counter.)
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Can't extend recently acquired 1 yr multi entry visa and 10 yr FAQ

I asked CVSC, the visa service I use, if I could extend a recently acquired 1yr multi- entry. The answer:

"You cannot extend your current visa. You will have to apply for a whole new one."

They also sent me the following FAQ for the new 10 year"

Frequently Asked Questions about 10-Year Chinese Visas

Who is eligible for a 10-year visa?
All US passport holders can apply for a 10-year multiple entry visa in the following categories: tourist (L), business (M), and family visit (Q2 & S2). US passport holders who apply for a student visa (X) will get 5 years. 10-year visas are not available to non-US citizens.

How long can I stay in China on a 10-year visa?
For 10-year multiple entry visas, the duration of stay (the number of days you can stay in China per entry) is 60 days for L & M visas; 90 days for S2 visa and 120 days for Q2 visa.

Can I still get a 10-year visa if I need longer stays in China?
According to the Chinese Embassy visa office, longer stays are not granted on the 10-year visas. If you want to stay for more than 60 days (L & M visas), 90 day (S2 visa) or 120 days (Q2 visa) per entry, you may be issued a 1- or 2-year multiple entry visa, not a 10-year visa.

Can I work in China with a 10-year visa?
No. The 10-year visa is for short term tourist or business visits only. If you want to work in China, you must obtain a work visa.

Does it cost more to get a 10-year visa?
No. The cost of 10-year visa is the same as other shorter term visas for US citizens.

Does it take longer to get a 10-year visa?
No. The processing time remains the same. CVSC has 4 levels of service, regular (6+ business days), express (4-5 business days), rush (2-3 business days) and emergency (24 hours).

Are there any special requirements for a 10-year visa?
No. The requirements for a 10-year visa are the same as that of a 1 year visa. Our website, www.mychinavisa.com, always has up to date information. You can check requirements by visiting our site.

My passport expires in less than 10 years. Can I still get the 10-year visa?
Yes. You can get a 10-year visa as long as your passport does not expire in less than 14 months. Once you get a 10-year visa, you can travel on this passport even after it expires provided it is used together with a valid new US passport bearing the same name, sex, date of birth and place of birth. If any changes are made to the above mentioned information on the new passport, you must apply for a new visa.

I’m going to China for a scientific conference. Can I get a 10-year visa?
No. As mentioned earlier, 10-year visas are only available in the L, M, Q2 and S2 categories. Among them M visa is for business people going to China for business and trade purpose. People who visit China for cultural and educational exchanges and academic conferences are granted F visas, which is generally good for 6 months or 1 year.

The Chinese Visa Application Form does not have a 10-year option. What do I do?
You can make a request for a 10-year visa on the Chinese Visa Application Form. On Section 2.2, you can choose “Other” and write “10 Years” in the blank space.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
I’m going to China for a scientific conference. Can I get a 10-year visa?
No. As mentioned earlier, 10-year visas are only available in the L, M, Q2 and S2 categories. Among them M visa is for business people going to China for business and trade purpose. People who visit China for cultural and educational exchanges and academic conferences are granted F visas, which is generally good for 6 months or 1 year.

The Chinese Visa Application Form does not have a 10-year option. What do I do?
You can make a request for a 10-year visa on the Chinese Visa Application Form. On Section 2.2, you can choose “Other” and write “10 Years” in the blank space.

This appears very harsh to me!! It seems to suggest that it's good only for tourists, but not for cultural/academic exchange, which appears rather short-sighted to me.

tb

PS I'm on residence/ work permit, and don't have a US passport, so doesn't personally effect me.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by trueblu
This appears very harsh to me!! It seems to suggest that it's good only for tourists, but not for cultural/academic exchange, which appears rather short-sighted to me.

tb

PS I'm on residence/ work permit, and don't have a US passport, so doesn't personally effect me.
I'm surprised in that many countries seem to consider speaking at a research conference to be a business purpose and require a business visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.