Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Ten year tourist and business visa - effective 12 Nov 2014

Ten year tourist and business visa - effective 12 Nov 2014

Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HGHUA
Data point: Went to the chinese embassy in HK. Was told they didn't offer the ten year yet and to come back on Monday. Did I mention they are a cheery lot?
If it works like other special Visa arrangements you will probably need to request in the USA- for example also with the 10 year India visa with USA you can only request it in the United States and not at other India consulates. If you are able to get in HK please keep posted as this would be incredibly useful. Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 4:25 am

That's very interesting, because the one-year visas were generally not available outside the U.S.

Did you get the sense they would be available to all Americans, or only HK ID holders?

The recent US-Russia visa agreement is explicit that the three-year visas are to be available worldwide, and the Russians do seem to observe the agreement; let's hope the US-China agreement contained a similar provision. The State Department is certainly aware of the issue. The State Department FAQ is clear that the US will be making these visas available to Chinese worldwide:

"Q: Can I apply for a ten-year visa if I am a Chinese national living in a country other than China?

"A: Yes, maximum visa validity is determined by the reciprocity arrangement with the country that issued your passport and not the country in which you apply."
(emphasis added)

Let's not forget that uncertainty about this new arrangement isn't limited to Americans. Chinese travellers seem concerned that the U.S. may turn out to be more strict in handing out visas for ten years than one.

Last edited by 889; Nov 14, 2014 at 4:50 am
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:53 am

I am so excited about this. My visa agent contacted me yesterday about this. I'll apply in
January for this after my new passport is in my hands. This will save me so much time and less stress.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: various
call me skeptical

I have to agree with travel69. I think there may be a small window of opportunity now due to a PR push by both sides. A few luckies might get a 5 to 10 year validity. But then I think things will stay fairly restrictive, without fanfare, with a few long-terms issued here and then just so the Chinese can point out "compliance" to doubters. But in reality still handing out 12 months, sometimes less. We've seen this before with the Chinese "Green Card" that only a small number of foreigners have been able to score in the years that it has been supposedly available. And I'm not sure the Consulates will like to give up those lucrative visa fees from people who would otherwise have to come back annually for a new visa. I'll probably try it but am not holding my breath.

As to being issued a long term visa that will outlive the validity of the passport, I suppose one could do what one does with Residence Permits that span old and new passports: in China go to a major PSB and have a replacement visa (same terms) put into the new passport, so the need to travel with old and new (which tends to confuse airline check-in staff the world over) is dispensed with.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by 889
That's very interesting, because the one-year visas were generally not available outside the U.S.

Did you get the sense they would be available to all Americans, or only HK ID holders?

The recent US-Russia visa agreement is explicit that the three-year visas are to be available worldwide, and the Russians do seem to observe the agreement; let's hope the US-China agreement contained a similar provision. The State Department is certainly aware of the issue. The State Department FAQ is clear that the US will be making these visas available to Chinese worldwide:

"Q: Can I apply for a ten-year visa if I am a Chinese national living in a country other than China?

"A: Yes, maximum visa validity is determined by the reciprocity arrangement with the country that issued your passport and not the country in which you apply."
(emphasis added)

Let's not forget that uncertainty about this new arrangement isn't limited to Americans. Chinese travellers seem concerned that the U.S. may turn out to be more strict in handing out visas for ten years than one.

I went with my friend to the visa office of the Chinese Embassy in DC this morning. Couldn't believe there were so many people there(both Chinese and Americans, about half and half)

She was only given a single-entry visa. The lady at the windows told her that because she had never visited China before, only a single-entry visa would be issued. Her prior dozen or so visits to Hong Kong, China did not count as visits to China.(duh, Hong Kong is not considered "China" for that purpose) She must actually use that visa to physically enter China at least once. The next time she applies, they will give her a 10-year multiple-entry visa. At this point, my friend became very upset and started arguing with them. She had to be "politely" asked to leave the office by a security guy.

Next Monday, she will be visiting the Russian embassy to apply for a Russian visa. She is taking a trip on the Trans-Siberian Railroad so she needs both Chinese and Russian visas.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:44 am
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
phoned mychinavisa.com

They guarantee 10 year for $260
but did ask about previous entries to china and type of visit.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I called mychinavisa also and they told me that their fee was still $49 but that my current visa still having more than a year left on it could be a problem. They suggested that I call the consulate myself for clarification on this point.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:33 pm

"She was only given a single-entry visa . . . because she had never visited China before."

So Obama now has quite a bit of egg on his face and, along with Kerry, looks like a trusting fool when it comes to dealing with China. This has implications beyond the comparatively minor issue of visas.

I am surprised the Chinese didn't wait a bit and then backtrack quietly when nobody's watching; at this early point there's sure to be some awkward publicity when people test the ten-year visa and find it's not there for many.

The practical message, of course, is take your old passport with those entry/exit stamps along when you apply.

Last edited by 889; Nov 14, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
"She was only given a single-entry visa . . . because she had never visited China before."

So Obama now has quite a bit of egg on his face and, along with Kerry, looks like a trusting fool when it comes to dealing with China. This has implications beyond the comparatively minor issue of visas.

I am surprised the Chinese didn't wait a bit and then backtrack quietly when nobody's watching; at this early point there's sure to be some awkward publicity when people test the ten-year visa and find it's not there for many.

The practical message, of course, is take your old passport with those entry/exit stamps along when you apply.
Well the first to get a 10 year China visa in DC had 4 previous entries to China. How many visas is unknown.

A first timer, one year only.

Post above suggests if you have a year left on an existing visa, a company which processes visas won't touch it for the ten year.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by 889

Egg on his face? Not giving a first time applicant a 10 year visa hardly seems like an unreasonable move. Do you think the US doles out visas to everyone under the sun?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:24 pm

Point is, the U.S. is stressing reciprocity here, and there've been no signs the U.S. is issuing ten-year visas only to Chinese applicants who've already visited the U.S. at least once.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Post above suggests if you have a year left on an existing visa, a company which processes visas won't touch it for the ten year.
They didn't tell me they wouldn't touch it. They simply said that the consulate might refuse to process the application. I will report back here after I speak with the consulate on Monday.

Bear in mind that the agency's main function is to hand over paperwork. It's up to applicants to make sure the paperwork is up to snuff.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
They didn't tell me they wouldn't touch it. They simply said that the consulate might refuse to process the application. I will report back here after I speak with the consulate on Monday.

Bear in mind that the agency's main function is to hand over paperwork. It's up to applicants to make sure the paperwork is up to snuff.
"They suggested that I call the consulate myself for clarification on this point."

Sounds like pound sand to me.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:10 pm

MyChinaVisa has important information on permitted stay under the ten-year visa. It seems it will be sixty days for L and M visas. According to the FAQ there, you may be able to get a longer stay, but not on a ten-year visa unless you qualify for an S2 or Q2 visa.

"All US passport holders can apply for a 10-year multiple entry visa in the following categories: tourist (L), business (M), and family visit (Q2 & S2). For 10-year multiple entry visas, the duration of stay (the number of days you can stay in China per entry) is 60 days for L & M visas; 90 days for S2 visa and 120 days for Q2 visa. If you want to stay for more than 60 days (L & M visas), 90 day (S2 visa) or 120 days (Q2 visa) per entry, you may be issued a 1- or 2-year multiple entry visa, not a 10-year visa."

Last edited by 889; Nov 15, 2014 at 10:51 am
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
"They suggested that I call the consulate myself for clarification on this point."

Sounds like pound sand to me.
Why? I've never had much trouble getting through to humans at PRC consulates when I had questions to ask. I'll also be sure to ask about that 60 days/stay cap (I don't like this idea).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.