Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Ten year tourist and business visa - effective 12 Nov 2014

Ten year tourist and business visa - effective 12 Nov 2014

Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I'm guessing this courtesy won't be extended to residence permits which will continue to be $160/year....
Residence permits for longer periods (I've heard 2 and 5 years) have been available for a number of years, but mostly only to senior foreign executives at major multinational companies. I know some execs who have them, but the Chinese are very stingy about granting them.

As to the longer-term tourist and business visas, I'm not optimistic the Chinese are going to be doling them out generously. I hope that the USA also starts doling them out sparingly until there is evidence of true reciprocity happening on the Chinese side. Probably more important for this to happen first with 5 and 10 year business visas than with tourist visas.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:51 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
China has allowed the use of a valid visa in an expired passport for years. I have done this several times as I have had two year multiple entry visas when my passport expired. I just brought the old passport with the valid visa along with the new passport and never had an issue.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
Residence permits for longer periods (I've heard 2 and 5 years) have been available for a number of years, but mostly only to senior foreign executives at major multinational companies. I know some execs who have them, but the Chinese are very stingy about granting them.

As to the longer-term tourist and business visas, I'm not optimistic the Chinese are going to be doling them out generously. I hope that the USA also starts doling them out sparingly until there is evidence of true reciprocity happening on the Chinese side. Probably more important for this to happen first with 5 and 10 year business visas than with tourist visas.
Not sure about the 5 year residence permit requirements, but all I had to show the entry/exit bureau to get my 2 year residence permit were my old residence permits showing continuous residence in China for the past 5 years.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by sniles
Not sure about the 5 year residence permit requirements, but all I had to show the entry/exit bureau to get my 2 year residence permit were my old residence permits showing continuous residence in China for the past 5 years.
You must be more exalted than me! The other ingredient is having an employer willing to go for the 2-year on your behalf. Mine wasn't, despite me having continuous residence in China for a lot more than 5 years at the time.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:43 pm
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by jiejie
R
As to the longer-term tourist and business visas, I'm not optimistic the Chinese are going to be doling them out generously.
I am pretty sure 10 year will be the default tomorrow. Will check that at the
LA consulate.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
LA consulate.
Not sure it will be in effect tomorrow. Let us know.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
LA consulate.
Please let us know. My friend is planning on applying there next week (perhaps our first trial balloon!) and would appreciate a heads up. He still has time to arrange invitation documents according to their latest whims.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Dang, just renewed my 2 year last week.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:17 pm

Have colleagues applying in Houston and New York this week, will update results.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:57 am

I will be applying in Houston within the next 3-4 weeks using an agent, will also update.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:14 am

On Monday, the Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman announced that "China and the US have agreed to issue long-validity and multi-entry visas to each other's citizens travelling for business, sightseeing and overseas study, which will be soon confirmed by an exchange of notes." (emphasis added)

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/fyrth/t1209254.htm

Whether that means there's only an agreement in principle with details still be hashed out, or whether it means there's just some paperwork to be formally exchanged, who knows. But it does seem that from the Chinese side the agreement has not yet been formalized.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:28 am

US says it is in effect now but the Chinese said "soon". We'll find out how soon is soon.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:31 am
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
Worth a try.

Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
good luck!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:57 pm

According to China Daily, those 10-year visas are now being issued. The US edition is carrying a story with a photo of the lucky guy who got the first one. He got 60 days per entry according to a photo at Xinhuanet.

Some visa agent sites are now bannering the availability of 10-year visas, as well.

Last edited by 889; Nov 12, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.