Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Any disadvantage of Italian Dual Citizenship for Children who are Half-Chinese by eth

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any disadvantage of Italian Dual Citizenship for Children who are Half-Chinese by eth

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:07 am
Original Poster

My 13 year-old boy and 9-year-old girl, whose deceased Chinese mother was born in Wuhan, are eligible to become dual Italian citizens through me. (My grandfather and grandmother on father's sided immigrated from Italy. I am an American, but it is clear that I have the right to become an Italian dual citizen. My children were born in the U.S.)

My son is fascinated with Rome (as well as China) and would like to become Italian dual citizen. I can't think of any real disadvantages for him, but I am instinctively leery of it. (Myself-- I love Italy, and am too old to be drafted and Italy has free health care). Does anyone have any reactions to this, especially in terms of the ease with which I want to make sure that they continue to keep in contact with their Chinese family and Chinese culture.

Thanks for any assistance that can be given.

DB
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:42 am

How does becoming an Italian citizen help in continue to keep in contact with their Chinese family and Chinese culture?
As US passport holders can travel visa-free to Italy, I don't quite see the advantage unless they move there one day.
Maybe this question should be asked on the Italian forum as I don't quite see the link with China. Maybe I am missing something here.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:45 am
Original Poster

"How does becoming an Italian citizen help in continue to keep in contact with their Chinese family and Chinese culture?"

It doesn't. I want to make sure that it doesn't negatively impact my son. If so, I won't apply for him. However, in thinking about it, I don't logically see why it would matter if my son had 2 passports. Maybe, I am wrong, which is why I am asking the question here.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: HH, MR, BA
Originally Posted by DaileyB
"How does becoming an Italian citizen help in continue to keep in contact with their Chinese family and Chinese culture?"

It doesn't. I want to make sure that it doesn't negatively impact my son. If so, I won't apply for him. However, in thinking about it, I don't logically see why it would matter if my son had 2 passports. Maybe, I am wrong, which is why I am asking the question here.
Although I don't see how this would affect his entry into China, having the Italian passport WOULD help when visiting the EU. Taking the EU lane at immigration is something I've always wanted to experience... meanwhile I'm still 80th in line in T5 at Heathrow in the foreign nationals line (Canadian).
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Having dual citizenship is quite common these days especially if you have a family member who was/is a citizen of whatever Country you wish to gain citizenship.

As for China, whether you use your US passport or Italian passport, you would need to apply for a tourist visa to enter China for a visit.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Having an Italian passport is likely to mean lower reciprocity fees and visa application fees compared to using the USA passport. There must be countries where the EU passport doesn't require a visa but USA does, or where it is easier and faster for a EU citizen to get a visa. If son ever wants to live or work in the EU, having the EU passport makes it much easier. It might mean cheaper tuition at universities in the EU--I don't know whether residency matters for this benefit.

Potential disadvantages: military service, requirement to return to Italy to vote, taxes (USA is virtually unique in taxing citizens on their worldwide income from all sources, but Italy might claim taxes on certain types of investment income or pensions), probable loss of USA consular services for citizens when visiting Italy,....

Before making a final decision, you should consult a good lawyer who specializes in these issues, maybe different lawyers for USA, Italy, and China. Check also if there is a deadline in terms of your son's age or if he would be required to re-do part of the process upon adulthood. Are there issues if you or your son do not know Italian? Documents to sign in Italian? Official interviews in Italian with officials?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
Having dual citizenship is quite common these days especially if you have a family member who was/is a citizen of whatever Country you wish to gain citizenship.

As for China, whether you use your US passport or Italian passport, you would need to apply for a tourist visa to enter China for a visit.
Doesn't the son of a Chinese mother enter China on a Chinese passport?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

MS "Doesn't the son of a Chinese mother enter China on a Chinese passport?"

He was born in the U.S. and is an American Citizen. He travels on an American passport.

DB
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:52 pm

MS "Doesn't the son of a Chinese mother enter China on a Chinese passport?"

He was born in the U.S. and is an American Citizen. He travels on an American passport.

DB
Doesn't China consider him to be a Chinese citizen?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not until an actual application is made to gain citizenship for the child, and assumes that the deceased Chinese mother's status granted the child the right to attain citizenship. She may have been an ex-national.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Fimo,

What is an ex-national? Also, can you point me to any articles stating that my children have a right to apply to become Chinese citizens. I did a fair amount of research on this issue in the past and didn't find much. My girl spent several years in Wuhan and she had to register once a year as, I am assuming a foreigner. I would add that it is very unlikely that I would ever want my children to become solely Chinese citizens.

Another point I would make is that someone on an Italian board informed me that I, if I want to register as an Italian citizen, I have to register my children as Italian citizens, which makes sense from the Italian point of view -- all children of Italians (born before an Italian becomes naturalized as a citizen of another country) no matter how far down the lineage is. Thanks for your comments.

Db
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Since China doesn't recognize dual-citizenship, theoretically, your children would have to renounce US citizenship to become Chinese citizens. Many Chinese do have two sets of passports, but it is generally much easier for the second to be non-Chinese, since the second country doesn't require evidence of renouncing of existing citizenships. From my Chinese colleagues who became US citizens and considering switching back, I'm pretty certain you need to show evidence of renouncing US citizenship. It's not easy to get round this, since to get into China, you need a (foreign) passport, so the government can easily verify whether it is renounced.

Theoretically, your children, if v. keen on the Chinese route (which is the only reason I can think for this thread to be on this forum), could get the Italian citizenship, and then renounce either US or Italian to become Chinese. But as stated, they would need to first show evidence of having been eligible for Chinese citizenship in the first place, and then move to China....

tb
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by trueblu
Since China doesn't recognize dual-citizenship, <snip>
But as stated, they would need to first show evidence of having been eligible for Chinese citizenship in the first place...
Good points!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think so. Per Nationality law of the People's Republic of China:

A person born outside China, including those with parent(s) holding Chinese nationality, does not have Chinese nationality if a foreign nationality is acquired at birth, if a Chinese national parent has settled abroad.

(第五條 父母雙方或一方為中國公民,本人出生在外國,具有中國國籍;但父母雙方或一方為中國公民並定居在外國,本人出生時即具有外國國籍的,不具有中國國籍。)
Does anyone have any reactions to this, especially in terms of the ease with which I want to make sure that they continue to keep in contact with their Chinese family and Chinese culture.
Passports don't speak for culture identity. I really don't see how one's travel documents, aka passports in this case, would have any effect on his/her keeping contact with family members and culture. Visa and registration are simply logistics. If someone wants to maintain contact, s/he makes her/his way.

If you had removed the dual US/Italian citizenship from the equation and asked how to help your offspring learn about Chinese culture for mom's sake, that would make no difference and could have made a good discussion thread in China Forum. If it's focus is about obtaining Italian citizenship, China Forum isn't the right forum, unless you were only interested in the requirements for dual US/Italian nationals entering China.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

lin821 "If it's focus is about obtaining Italian citizenship, China Forum isn't the right forum, unless you were only interested in the requirements for dual US/Italian nationals entering China"

I was asking how Italian citizenship could affect my son's rights and experiences in China and have gotten a lot of good perspectives.

DB
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:26 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
lin821

I was asking how Italian citizenship could affect my son's rights and experiences in China and have gotten a lot of good perspectives.

DB
No impact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.