Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt
Connection time at PVG?

On April 1 I intend to fly CKG-PVG on China Southern scheduled arrival at T1 at 6:15 pm. My Delta flight to LAX departs T2 at 8:40 pm. Purchased as separate tickets.
It sure sounds like enough time, but I’d appreciate feedback from you guys who know...
Also, CZ can’t check my bag through to LAX because I need to check in at PVG with travel docs, right?

thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt
Is 2:25 enough time to connect at PVG?

I’m looking to book CKG-PVG on China Southern, scheduled arrival at T1 at 6:15 pm. My Delta flight to LAX departs T2 at 8:40 pm. Purchased as separate tickets, and I’ll have checked luggage.
Also, CZ can’t check my bag through to LAX because I need to check in at PVG with travel docs, right?
My other option is to arrive at PVG on MU at 3:35 pm.
Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:18 pm

I'd go with the MU flight. While 2.25hrs are enough (just about.. doesn't get much reserve, though) on seperate tickets (and even with luggage) I'd not do it if you're using TWOV. While they might let you landside to recheck your luggage, time is tight, and if not, someone would have to be organized to do that for you..

If they don't let you use TWOV (and have you stay airside) and recheck your luggage yourself, they'll do it for you. With 5hrs, that's easy to organize. With 2.5hrs, I'd not try that..
I'd book the MU flight. On the risk of repeating myself

With a Visa, it would look different. I'd still check on-time performance of the China Southern flight, but if it's decent enough, I might risk it if the alternatives are bad.

Personally I'd consider the MU flight as a reasonable alternative, and book that one, especially since your connection Ex-China is a long haul one. For a short haul or a domestic flight, it would be (relatively) cheap to rebook if indeed. Longhaul, not so much. Plus, if you arrive really late into PVG and your flight is gone, you'll NOT be compliant with TWOV and will most probably be forced to buy a compliant ticket out of China on the spot.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Agree 100%. Take the earlier flight with longer layover in PVG. A one hour delay (not uncommon) would make the connection almost impossible.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Agree 100%. Take the earlier flight with longer layover in PVG. A one hour delay (not uncommon) would make the connection almost impossible.
The bigger issue here is the terminal transfer. CZ is in T2. DL and MU are in t1.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:19 am

That’s not the news I wanted, but I guess it’s the news I needed. Thank you all.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by avonlean
Hello,

I will travel from CDG to Taipei via PEK, with 100 min. to transfer (1 ticket China Airline)...From what I read it seems it should be enough, but then again, it will be during lunch time (noon to 2p.m). So do you think I should try my luck ?

Thanks
China Airline does not fly CDG - PEK. What airline/s are you actually flying with?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by edsh
Hi

CA Domestic arrival transferring to UA International departure on separate tickets with no checked bags:

Do I need to exit baggage claim and go upstairs to the departures hall and have a boarding pass printed from the UA ticket counter - or is there a more direct method (using a transfer desk?) that would save time.
No shortcut, Exit, upstairs, and check-in.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:39 pm

Is this a safe booking (I suppose I may be asking, are flights from Japan more likely to arrive at PVG on time)?

As to the I-D transit, if it matters, I hold a US Passport.

Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:57 pm

Assuming you're holding a Chinese visa (and not continue on a seperate ticket from Ningbo using 24hrs TWOV - theoretically, imho even 144hrs TWOV possible since it's within Zhejiang that allows 144hrs together with Shanghai and Jiangsu.. but I suppose on TWOV it wouldn't work time-wise) this connection is doable. Imho requires to recheck luggage, so it's a bit tight, but on time arrival will mean you can make it. Won't have time for anything else.

Worst case, you'll be put into a hotel in PVG for the night if there is some delay incoming (assuming that's the last flight out of Shanghai) or they might set up alternative transport (it's only 2.5-3hrs by car/bus) if there is a low of people missconnecting. Nothing to worry about.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by davie355
Is this a safe booking (I suppose I may be asking, are flights from Japan more likely to arrive at PVG on time)?

As to the I-D transit, if it matters, I hold a US Passport.

Why not fly to SHA and take a bus? The bridge is pretty cool.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by moondog
It might be very well cheaper to have this tag-on flight. I experienced XXX-PVG-NKG to be significantely cheaper than XXX-PVG alone (all on MU)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Riding a Chinese coach at night compared to flying is down-right hazardous.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I will be traveling from Upstate NY to Xiamen in a month and I am mostly considering two flight options: EWR - HKG - XMN and back or BGM - DTW - PVG - XMN and back. The former has 4h+ connections at HKG, the latter has a 3h 15m connection at PVG on the way to XMN and a 1h 55m connection at PVG on the way back. Am I correct to assume that a less that 2 hours domestic to international connection at PVG is likely to be very tight, even when traveling without checked luggage?

While there is a couple of reasons why flying from BGM is attractive for me (avoiding a long drive to EWR and earning miles with Delta), I would definitely very much prefer to avoid missed connections, cancelations, etc.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by ivan89
Hi everyone,

I will be traveling from Upstate NY to Xiamen in a month and I am mostly considering two flight options: EWR - HKG - XMN and back or BGM - DTW - PVG - XMN and back. The former has 4h+ connections at HKG, the latter has a 3h 15m connection at PVG on the way to XMN and a 1h 55m connection at PVG on the way back. Am I correct to assume that a less that 2 hours domestic to international connection at PVG is likely to be very tight, even when traveling without checked luggage?

While there is a couple of reasons why flying from BGM is attractive for me (avoiding a long drive to EWR and earning miles with Delta), I would definitely very much prefer to avoid missed connections, cancelations, etc.
Were it not for the drive to Newark, which I know is awful, option 1 would be no brainer.

So, option 2 clearly makes more sense for you from a convenience standpoint. That having been said, I wouldn't touch that 2 hour connection on the return. Sure, your odds are greater than 50% on most days, but if you misconnect, you're looking at spending a night in a dreadful airport hotel. As such, if going with option 2, I would either plan on spending a night in Shanghai (and picking a decent hotel in advance) or taking an earlier flight XMN-PVG.

Have you looked into NRT or ICN connections by the way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.