Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: British Airways, AAdvantage, Marriott, Hyatt
this is really helpful! Do you know if this is still the case or if Delta / MU can confirm this?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Update For reference.

T1 when connecting from/to MU (CHINA EASTERN) OR FM (SHANGHAI AIRLINES) to/from AF/DL/KL you usually no longer need to clear immigration, nor pickup bags. There's a transfer desk all the way to left in immigration hall. They'll check your passport/BP and issue BP if needed for onward for onward flight. If you have checked bags, they'll be transfered. If it is closed then of course will be required to clear into China to connect. However bags will still be transfered.

If connecting to/from a domestic flight obviously will still need to clear immigration. However bags will be transfered between these airlines.

Note, your bags will still go to the claim belt. However an employer will collect and then send them on the way to next flight.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:07 pm

I am thinking of booking YYZ-PVG-NRT. YYZ-PVG is on AC, and PVG-NRT is on NH, all on one ticket. There is a 3 hour gap between flights. Does the transfer require clearing immigration and going land side? I have no checked luggage. I've read conflicting reports in which some state you do, some say you don't. Also read that many flights into and out of PVG are usually delayed in which I am wondering if the 3 hour connection time will be enough.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travel_geek
I am thinking of booking YYZ-PVG-NRT. YYZ-PVG is on AC, and PVG-NRT is on NH, all on one ticket. There is a 3 hour gap between flights. Does the transfer require clearing immigration and going land side? I have no checked luggage. I've read conflicting reports in which some state you do, some say you don't. Also read that many flights into and out of PVG are usually delayed in which I am wondering if the 3 hour connection time will be enough.
3 hours is a safe cushion, especially if on one ticket. The delay problem doesn't affect inbound longhuals a great deal. I'm guessing that you will need to exit and reenter. This would not be necessary if you flew MU on the same routing.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:01 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Hi all!

I have a long layover. Arrive 6:30 from BKK on TG in J, depart for USA on UA in F at 17:00. I’m sure I have some sort of lounge acces but that’s a long time. I saw mention of a landslide airport hotel. If I were to go landslide how early would I need to re-enter? I have hand luggage only.

thank you!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by In2ishn
Hi all!

I have a long layover. Arrive 6:30 from BKK on TG in J, depart for USA on UA in F at 17:00. I’m sure I have some sort of lounge acces but that’s a long time. I saw mention of a landslide airport hotel. If I were to go landslide how early would I need to re-enter? I have hand luggage only.

thank you!
If you already have boarding pass, 1.5 hours prior to departure should be fine.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
If you already have boarding pass, 1.5 hours prior to departure should be fine.
That seems tight, as PP will need to reclear security and emigration, which can be an ordeal in China. I'm assuming a visa or PP will use TWOV privileges (should be eligible as travel is A->B->C), but even so will need to go through the typically lengthy lines. I've always figured minimum two hours in China for such. Of course, if OP is okay getting on the plane at the end of the boarding process then perhaps time can be shaved, but as a coach (not F) traveler, I much prefer to claim my seat and some overhead space before others do.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by In2ishn
Hi all!

thank you!
You should be OK, but I would make sure not to be late. Immigration should take 15-45 minutes but for security you can use the business class/first class security lane. It is much faster, not more than 10-12 minutes. If you plan to use the lounge you may want to give yourself another 15 minutes.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:34 pm

I'll be transiting through Shanghai PVG on an upcoming flight. The first segment Detroit (DTW) to Shanghai (PVG) is on Delta, and the second segment Shanghai (PVG) to Kaohsiung, Taiwan (KHH) is on China Airlines. I believe both flights are in PVG terminal.

Does anyone know whether this transit will require going through customs and immigration at PVG? My transfer is just a little over 2 hours so hoping I would make it. The 2 segments are on a single ticket.

Thanks!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:31 pm
Used to be highman123

Lounge access in which terminal?

Apologies if it has been discussed before. With a boarding pass for a domestic flight from Terminal 1 - can I go to domestic departures in Terminal 2 to check out the lounges there (Priority Pass)?

Does it work for International flights/ terminals? I have a multi entry visa.

Lastly is there a commonsystem for inter terminal access/ domestic/ international at other Chinese airport ie CSX or LJG?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by MightyTravels
Apologies if it has been discussed before. With a boarding pass for a domestic flight from Terminal 1 - can I go to domestic departures in Terminal 2 to check out the lounges there (Priority Pass)?

Does it work for International flights/ terminals? I have a multi entry visa.

Lastly is there a commonsystem for inter terminal access/ domestic/ international at other Chinese airport ie CSX or LJG?
Only if the lounge is pre immigration/security.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Is anyone aware of whether a BA-KA airside transfer is possible at KA?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Flying JFK-PVG-DEL on MU later this month in J. I arrive in PVG at 5am and have a 9 hour layover. I'd like to take the Maglev/metro downtown for a few hours when it opens at 7am. Is there any way I can access one of the lounges to take a shower and grab some food before I leave the airport? My understanding is that I'll be forced into the immigration line (for a visa-free visit) and will miss the lounges that are all airside. Can I go to the connections area to access the lounges and then clear immigration, or is it too late at that point?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Flying JFK-PVG-DEL on MU later this month in J. I arrive in PVG at 5am and have a 9 hour layover. I'd like to take the Maglev/metro downtown for a few hours when it opens at 7am. Is there any way I can access one of the lounges to take a shower and grab some food before I leave the airport? My understanding is that I'll be forced into the immigration line (for a visa-free visit) and will miss the lounges that are all airside. Can I go to the connections area to access the lounges and then clear immigration, or is it too late at that point?
No, you can't go to departures upon arrival unless you want to be stuck there for your entire layover.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by moondog
No, you can't go to departures upon arrival unless you want to be stuck there for your entire layover.
That's what I was afraid of, thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
That's what I was afraid of, thanks.
Your inability to shower in the terminal may well be a blessing in disguise (i.e. they are gross). I think the hotels between the terminals might offer hourly rates. If so, in addition to the shower, this would give you a place to relax between 5a and whenever you decide to head out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.