FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1601604-connecting-airport-transit-inside-pvg-shanghai-pudong-merged-pvg-connection-thread.html)

MSPeconomist Jul 3, 2013 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Andy123ca (Post 21019195)
Hi,
I am flying out from PVG at 7am, my hotel is pretty far away from PVG, meaning i need to leave hotel around 4:30am.
Will it be possible to go to airport at midnight and stay there for couple hours till i board the flight ?
Is the airpot open 24 hours ? I am getting conflicting information.
Anyone been there recently?

thanks
Andy

You can find answers to a lot of these questions as well as practical advice at the sleeping in airports website. However, I agree with others here that PVG is likely to be uncomfortable and have nothing at all open.

ECDW Jul 10, 2013 12:56 am

Shanghai Pudong transit help

Hey guys!

I hope that someone will be able to help me and answer my questions here, sorry if I'm in the wrong forum.

So I'll be flying with China Eastern from Frankfurt over Shanghai and Beijing to Sydney.
My flight itinerary can be seen here:
http://i.imgur.com/Fk9wsU1.jpg

My questions are:
1. Do I have to claim baggage, check in again or go through immigration in Shanghai (because I'll have a domestic flight in China to Beijing)?

2. Are the 2h and 20m enough to get to my next flight or can i prepare myself to rush?

It'll be my first time at Shanghai airport, just worried a bit that the time won't be enough to catch my connecting flight because of delays or long queues.

Thanks a lot in advance, cheers.

wjv144 Jul 11, 2013 8:05 pm

Dear ECDW,

To answer you questions:

1) Yes you have to go through immigration and pick up you baggage and re-check in.

2) Going through immigration takes some time, but if you don't loose too much time going to the toilet you should be able to re-check you luggage on time.
Just follow the exit sign and once outside find the elevator (or escalator) and go to the departure level (level 3) and check in at aisle D

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.46578...h=106&c=7&rs=1.

A few notes:
- In Beijing you will have to pick up and recheck your luggage once more.
- Your PEK-SYD fligh has another intermediate stop in nanjing. Since you have a visa to enter China (right?) an option would be to travel 330km from Pudong to Nanjing by car/bus. http://goo.gl/maps/wdkXJ
Will take some 4 hours, which is still quite a trip, but much less than the hassle of multiple checking in, flying all over China and high stress levels due to airplane delays.

If you opt to take the shortcut, make sure that MU allows you to skip two sectors of your ticket.

MSPeconomist Jul 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by wjv144 (Post 21082288)
Dear ECDW,

To answer you questions:

1) Yes you have to go through immigration and pick up you baggage and re-check in.

2) Going through immigration takes some time, but if you don't loose too much time going to the toilet you should be able to re-check you luggage on time.
Just follow the exit sign and once outside find the elevator (or escalator) and go to the departure level (level 3) and check in at aisle D

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.46578...h=106&c=7&rs=1.

A few notes:
- In Beijing you will have to pick up and recheck your luggage once more.
- Your PEK-SYD fligh has another intermediate stop in nanjing. Since you have a visa to enter China (right?) an option would be to travel 330km from Pudong to Nanjing by car/bus. http://goo.gl/maps/wdkXJ
Will take some 4 hours, which is still quite a trip, but much less than the hassle of multiple checking in, flying all over China and high stress levels due to airplane delays.

If you opt to take the shortcut, make sure that MU allows you to skip two sectors of your ticket.

AFAIK if the total time spent in China is under 24 hours, the OP is allowed to transit without visa with most passports. This is common for itineraries that connect in both Shanghai and Beijing, so the OP should check whether the additional stop (direct flight?) in Nanjing has any effect on the rules or whether ground transportation from Shanghai to Nanjing would by allowed under the transit without visa rules.

Also, there's been some discussion here of some flights and some passengers between Shanghai and Beijing being treated as international rather than domestic. The OP should check whether the flights within China are treated as international or domestic.

moondog Jul 11, 2013 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 21082727)
AFAIK if the total time spent in China is under 24 hours, the OP is allowed to transit without visa with most passports. This is common for itineraries that connect in both Shanghai and Beijing, so the OP should check whether the additional stop (direct flight?) in Nanjing has any effect on the rules or whether ground transportation from Shanghai to Nanjing would by allowed under the transit without visa rules.

Also, there's been some discussion here of some flights and some passengers between Shanghai and Beijing being treated as international rather than domestic. The OP should check whether the flights within China are treated as international or domestic.

For stays of less than 24 hours, you can go wherever you want.

BTW, the OP's itinerary is among the most brutal I've ever witnessed.

jiejie Jul 11, 2013 11:42 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk and the China forum. It is the right place to ask your questions.

However, I've never seen such a mess of a ticket. What would possess you to book this sort of trip FRA-PVG-PEK-NKG-SYD? I wouldn't do this on an award nor even if the ticket was being given away for free.

If you do not have a Chinese visa in your passport, you will have to do all your connections by flight and within 24 hours. First see if MU can switch you to the MU561 nonstop flight PVG-SYD departing 20:20. Work on this starting asap, and be very insistent since you have nothing to lose except future hassles. You'd have a long layover in Shanghai but you can roam the city and infinitely preferable to ping-ponging around China.

If you have a Chinese visa, and if the suggestion to switch to MU561 fails, then you can try wjv's suggestion of seeing if MU will allow you to skip the PVG-PEK and PEK-NKG flight and just board at NKG, which has Immigration/Customs capability. I don't hold out a lot of promise, but you won't know unless you try. In this case, I would not subject myself to being cooped up for hours on a bus/car connection, but would get from Pudong to Shanghai Hongqiao rail station and take next-available bullet train to Nanjing. Nanjing is a friendly and interesting city if you have to kill time. You will not be able to entertain this possibility if you have no visa, since intercity overland transfer does not meet Transit Without Visa regulations.

ECDW Jul 12, 2013 5:40 pm

First of all, thank you for all your responses!

I went to the travel agency where I booked the flights today and asked her if she could switch me to the MU561 but unfortunately it wasn't possible. Since I don't have a visa the overland transfer won't be a option, so I'm stuck with my itinerary which is ok. I don't mind the long travel time. The only thing what worries me is that I will miss a connecting flight due to delay or other events and I wouldn't know what to do then?

However, I've never seen such a mess of a ticket. What would possess you to book this sort of trip FRA-PVG-PEK-NKG-SYD? I wouldn't do this on an award nor even if the ticket was being given away for free.
Unfortunately I'm a poor student and it was either save or spent about 400€ for this itinerary or a better connection. So I decided to save the money and rather spent it in Australia. Today, I would have rather spent the 400€ but that's anyway too late now.

Cheers

Taiwaned Jul 12, 2013 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 21082880)
BTW, the OP's itinerary is among the most brutal I've ever witnessed.

I though the exact same thing.

Almost 34 hours in an airplane and doesn't include all the time in layovers, transfers and delays.

I got tired just looking at the itinerary.

Keep well hydrated and bring lots of entertainment on your tablet and ipod.

benzemalyonnais Jul 12, 2013 6:19 pm

And he'll be lucky to get 50% FFP credit :(

Globalist Aug 31, 2013 1:50 am

mct in shanghai and immigration

I am looking to go to Beijing and have a 1 entry visa secured.

Now something came up and had to change my flight via HK.
Using miles I have a flight in F from LHR to PVG, arriving at 7.55am. I would like to connect to dragon air in C at 8.40am to HK. (separate tickets).

1, is that possible or is the connection to short?
2, international to international do I pass immigration? I will go to Beijing a day later and would not want my one entry taken in PVG.

Thanks,
Globalist

mosburger Aug 31, 2013 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Globalist (Post 21366820)

Using miles I have a flight in F from LHR to PVG, arriving at 7.55am. I would like to connect to dragon air in C at 8.40am to HK. (separate tickets).

2, international to international do I pass immigration? I will go to Beijing a day later and would not want my one entry taken in PVG.

Thanks,
Globalist

Yes, you have to pass immigration and customs plus pick up and check-in your luggage.

There is no chance you would make it so catch a later HK bound flight.

I just arrived with CX at PVG this week and there were boards advertising American Airlines to Cathay connections where you do not have to leave airside. This as well as Star Alliance connections from/to Air New Zealand and Lufthansa/Swiss/Virgin flights from/to Europe.

Globalist Aug 31, 2013 2:34 am

Originally Posted by mosburger (Post 21366885)
Yes, you have to pass immigration and customs plus pick up and check-in your luggage.

There is no chance you would make it so catch a later HK bound flight.

I just arrived with CX at PVG this week and there were boards advertising American Airlines to Cathay connections where you do not have to leave airside. This as well as Star Alliance connections from/to Air New Zealand and Lufthansa/Swiss/Virgin flights from/to Europe.

Thanks mosburger,

Transferring within Oneworld (BA to KA) would not have the same service?

Globalist

mosburger Aug 31, 2013 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Globalist (Post 21366896)
Thanks mosburger,

Transferring within Oneworld (BA to KA) would not have the same service?

Globalist

At PVG, only Lufthansa & partners had this privilege before, now it seems AA has done some serious lobbying. That's the rare exception, not the norm.

Give something, take something...My guess is both LH and AA have had to make some concessions in exchange for getting transit privileges.

moondog Aug 31, 2013 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Globalist (Post 21366820)

Thanks,
Globalist

I don't think you have any worries on the visa front, as long as you make it clear to border control person that you don't want any entry/exit stamps associated with that visa.

However, flying directly to HK should be a top priority for you. If you paid cash for that F ticket, the switch is very easy. If you used BA miles, start looking for seats ~7 days in. J is usually pretty easy to fetch, and F isn't especially hard either (in spite of the fact that CX only has 6 F seats).

Globalist Aug 31, 2013 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 21369295)
I don't think you have any worries on the visa front, as long as you make it clear to border control person that you don't want any entry/exit stamps associated with that visa.

However, flying directly to HK should be a top priority for you. If you paid cash for that F ticket, the switch is very easy. If you used BA miles, start looking for seats ~7 days in. J is usually pretty easy to fetch, and F isn't especially hard either (in spite of the fact that CX only has 6 F seats).

Thanks moondog,

I agree my priority is to find a seat direct from LHR to HKG, as I am using miles it is a challenge as nothing is available at this point and hope more will become available on BA or CX in the last 7 days.

If I have to go through immigration in PVG and cant make the 8.40 flight to HK i would not be on time anyway.

Globalist

RichardInSF Sep 4, 2013 4:52 pm

I am about to book KIX-PVG-SYD because it is the only routing available on the day I want to go with flat bed seats PVG-SYD. It shows 2:10 between flights. I have to change from T1 to T2 (NH->AC).

I've been to PVG a number of times (although not recently) but never done this particular transfer. I gather I have to go through inbound immigration/customs, walk across the parking lot to the other terminal, and then go through outbound immigration/security. Seems a bit close time-wise but doable. Do the gurus here concur?

If the inbound is late, come visit me at the Park Hyatt! :)

moondog Sep 4, 2013 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 21389913)
I am about to book KIX-PVG-SYD because it is the only routing available on the day I want to go with flat bed seats PVG-SYD. It shows 2:10 between flights. I have to change from T1 to T2 (NH->AC).

I've been to PVG a number of times (although not recently) but never done this particular transfer. I gather I have to go through inbound immigration/customs, walk across the parking lot to the other terminal, and then go through outbound immigration/security. Seems a bit close time-wise but doable. Do the gurus here concur?

If the inbound is late, come visit me at the Park Hyatt! :)

NH uses T2 for sure. By AC, I assume you meant CA given the routing. In any event, both AC and CA also use T2. If you meant MU, on the other hand, then you will have to walk across the parking lot.

RichardInSF Sep 5, 2013 12:41 am

I meant CA, I still get it wrong. And you're also right, I re-checked, they both use T2. Cutting out the walk should make it considerably more manageable and make me a lot less worried. Thanks.

jmj9905 Sep 6, 2013 3:45 pm

connecting time ?

I am about to book ord(aa)-pvg(ka)-hkg. My connecting time is 1hr 15min.
I have never been to pvg. Is tis enouch time?

cxfan1960 Sep 6, 2013 6:52 pm

This is on MCT in China. I am moving this thread to the forum on China.

cxfan1960
CX Mod

moondog Sep 6, 2013 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by jmj9905 (Post 21401046)
I am about to book ord(aa)-pvg(ka)-hkg. My connecting time is 1hr 15min.
I have never been to pvg. Is tis enouch time?

As long as your connection is legal, you should be fine because KA has many flights between PVG and HKG. In year's past, Mondays and Fridays were tough, but I haven't had a single problem getting a seat on a KA flight during the past 1.5 years.

swy Sep 30, 2013 7:02 am

Connection time at PVG (AA to KA)

I have already bought a ticket for an AA flight that arrives at PVG at 3:05 pm, but I actually need to be in HKG. If I book the KA flight that departs 4:20 pm, I should be able to make it pretty easily, right?

I will mostly likely book it using Avios. If for whatever reason I can't make it, would KA put me on the next flight without fees? Thanks!

Short hair Francis Sep 30, 2013 8:02 am

I'm presuming you're coming off AA 289, what I usually would is take CX 369 which usually departs around 5:30pm range.
For PVG connections, you would need to enter/exit China, pick and recheck bags, reclear security.
There isn't a full airside connection for AA>CX like other airports

If you're a foreigner, forget it, you are 99.9% not going to make it
Even if you have a Chinese passport, It still would be doubtbul you can do it within 1 hr.
When I do this connection, by the time I'm airside, I usually see the KA flight rolling towards the runway :D

mosburger Sep 30, 2013 8:14 am

I think to have seen airside advertisements of a "special" arrangement for AA/CX/KA connections when arriving at PVG in late August.

Before only Star Alliance carriers got "real" transit rights, probably due to the influence of Air China. But I'm pretty sure to remember a "real" transit from AA to CX/KA or vice versa was what they claimed to offer.

CanucksHKG Sep 30, 2013 2:53 pm

75 minutes might be a bit tight for such a connection at PVG...

Which flight are you arriving from?

Fly2Where Sep 30, 2013 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by swy (Post 21528321)
I have already bought a ticket for an AA flight that arrives at PVG at 3:05 pm, but I actually need to be in HKG. If I book the KA flight that departs 4:20 pm, I should be able to make it pretty easily, right?

I will mostly likely book it using Avios. If for whatever reason I can't make it, would KA put me on the next flight without fees? Thanks!

I would book 5:30 as connection. For 1 time, I arrived early, I am able to "change" to 4:20 flight at the KA counter. So just book a later flight and not to worry about delay in flight or baggage.

Short hair Francis Sep 30, 2013 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG (Post 21530840)
75 minutes might be a bit tight for such a connection at PVG...

Which flight are you arriving from?

Should be AA 289 from ORD, the other AA flight comes in around 7:30-8:30pm, 183 from LAX

brenc3 Oct 1, 2013 12:09 am

I would book a longer connection. As others have said, the transit process is not straightforward. You will need to clear China immigration and customs, and the wait times can be variable. You can't even have your bags tagged through to HKG for quick dropoff after customs, as you could with most US transits - you need to take your bags up to the departure hall and check in for your KA flight as if you were not connecting. The OP doesn't mention if he has any status or is in J for PVG-HKG, but if not, you'll need to contend with the Y check-in line for that KA flight. Keep in mind that the AA flight ORD-PVG could be delayed also.

I don't know whether KA will put you on a later flight if you miss the scheduled one. PVG-HKG is a busy route, though, and these flights (especially evening ones) can and do sell out.

Any info on improved transit procedures at PVG would be much appreciated.

swy Oct 1, 2013 12:36 am

Thank you for all the responses!

Yes, AA 289. I chose it mostly for the AA SWU... I will be in Y for PVG-HKG, but can use the priority line check in (AA EXP).

It's pretty lame that PVG makes (pretty much) everybody recheck their bags. I don't think I will connect at PVG again unless I have no choice.

mosburger Oct 1, 2013 5:13 am

Originally Posted by swy (Post 21533116)
Thank you for all the responses!

Yes, AA 289. I chose it mostly for the AA SWU... I will be in Y for PVG-HKG, but can use the priority line check in (AA EXP).

It's pretty lame that PVG makes (pretty much) everybody recheck their bags. I don't think I will connect at PVG again unless I have no choice.

Please check with AA about the transit procedure, I am rather sure to not have been dreaming when seeng those posters...And if possible, please report on the reply.

swy Oct 1, 2013 11:49 am

Originally Posted by mosburger (Post 21533741)
Please check with AA about the transit procedure, I am rather sure to not have been dreaming when seeng those posters...And if possible, please report on the reply.

I called the AA EXP desk, and the agent told me that I could check the bags all the way to HKG. She didn't seem to realize that this is at least not possible for most airlines, and/or until not so long ago. I am not sure if she just assumed that because most airports would be able to do this.

I could call again and see if another agent knows better, but try to ask this in the AA forum, but this is kind of frustrating.

travelinmanS Oct 2, 2013 8:55 am

Originally Posted by swy (Post 21533116)

Very lame, it's not like there are any other countries that make you do this;)

brenc3 Oct 2, 2013 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 21540982)
Very lame, it's not like there are any other countries that make you do this;)

The US transit process is onerous, especially given how many nationalities need a visa just to transit. But in the US, at least you can (in many cases) already have your onward boarding pass and have bags tagged through to your final destination. You simply drop your bags off after customs and proceed to your next departure gate.

PVG transit doesn't even allow this much. You need to move bags to the departure hall, check in and retag them. If you don't have status or a F/J ticket, the wait to recheck bags at PVG could be substantial. So I'd say this is even more onerous than US transit.

azepine00 Oct 2, 2013 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by brenc3 (Post 21544682)
.. You simply drop your bags off after customs and proceed to your next departure gate.

hmmm - the "simple" process includes a long immigration line, followed by frequently long customs line and capped by near always long TSA line... but you do get your bags tagged...

i would feel fairly comfortable with 2 hr connection in PVG but i would strongly advice against trying it in LAX for example...

deltaflyer08 Oct 6, 2013 1:15 pm

I highly doubt you can make your connection as after you get off of AA 289 you have to go to go to customs in which around 3:05 pm are usually full since most foreign flight tend to arrive in the afternoon and then you have to get your bags and find the airline your connecting to in order to re check your bags and by that time you don't have any time left to catch your connecting flight so I would recommend booking the next KA flight to HKG.

tanyakarn Oct 16, 2013 2:39 pm

2 hr connection time at PVG

Hi,

I'm flying from YYZ to BKK via PVG (AC->TG business class) with a 2h10m transit time. I've been reading up on the airport and it seems that I'll have to collect my bags and recheck them. I was wondering whether I'll be able to make my connection in time (given I have my boarding pass for the TG leg)?

Thanks.

swy Oct 19, 2013 6:44 pm

just saw this over in the AA forum

If you fly AA to PVG and are connecting to HKG on CX or KA and are doing carry-on there is a transfer desk for CX that will let you cut through to security for your next flight without having to go out to customs and pick up your bag. I believe that they will also fetch the bag for you and re-check it as the person in front of me at the transfer desk had checked a bag from LGA and the agent was asking him how many bags need to be retrived. I saw the person in front of me going through security again as i was approaching making me deduce that he did not have to get his bag and recheck it, not did either of us have to go through customs. There is a side door that is unlocked for transfer passengers connecting with CX, someone else flying China Airlines asked and was directed to customs and the whole process. Good information to know, so the 1.5 transfer time was more than plenty for me.
I wonder if this is the "airside advertisements of a 'special' arrangement for AA/CX/KA connections" mosburger was referring to.

EZobes Oct 21, 2013 12:58 pm

Process for International Connections in Shanghai

Hello,

I am in the process of booking my honeymoon to Thailand, and one of the few routes that meets my timing and reward seat criteria is a United flight from ORD to Pu Dong with a 3.5 hour layover before my Thai Airways flight to Bangkok.

I've heard some horror stories about transferring in Chinese airports. However, I have also heard that PVG has recently made the process less difficult. Does anyone have any insight into what is involved in a transfer from one international flight to another at Pu Dong? I've heard everything from "you will need to claim and recheck your bags" to "you'll have to cross through multiple check points that will take well over 3 hours." Basically, I am trying to separate fact from fiction to determine whether or not this is a reasonable itinerary, or whether it is not worth the hassle to start off a relaxing honeymoon.

Thanks everyone.

Eric

Soros004 Oct 26, 2013 3:47 pm

Pudong Airport connection to Hong Kong

Regards from Japan,
After so many horror stories, I wonder if 2 hours are enough to connect in T2 from International flight to Hong Kong (Dragon Air). Not checking in baggage to avoid line in customs. Any special advice?
SG

Taiwaned Oct 26, 2013 5:41 pm

Who are you coming into PVG with?

If it is China Eastern, you are in Terminal 1

If it is Air China, ANA you are in Terminal 2