FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1601604-connecting-airport-transit-inside-pvg-shanghai-pudong-merged-pvg-connection-thread.html)

OsoJoe Mar 23, 2011 8:49 am

You do get in free to the Maglev museum with your Maglev ticket. I thought it was mildly interesting. A lot of the signs were written in poor English but the pictures and models were good. Good enough to kill at least 15 minutes.

mnredfox Mar 23, 2011 10:58 am

Originally Posted by OsoJoe (Post 16086576)
You do get in free to the Maglev museum with your Maglev ticket. I thought it was mildly interesting. A lot of the signs were written in poor English but the pictures and models were good. Good enough to kill at least 15 minutes.

Depends on who you are. I am a bit of a tech geek and spent a good hour+ in there and made my time worth it.

As to the OP's question, go into Lujiazui and just walk around. Head into the Super Brand 8 mall to get a scene of shopping in Shanghai and walk outside on the pedestrian bridge for good views of the JinMao, Financial Center, and Pearl Tower. If taking a cab, don't expect to get back to LongYang super fast in case of traffic, you don't want to miss your next flight. I recommend riding the subway (line 2).

Also, keep in mind in China often flights don't open for check-in until maybe 1.5 hours before departure, so if you have bags to check you should check them at the bag check place (not check-in counters) where they can keep it for a small fee.

ls321 Mar 23, 2011 1:42 pm

A number of you have had done this so, although I hesitate to ask questions I could probably answer myself with on-line research, I'll go ahead and ask the experts: (i) what should I expect as travel time between Longyang station and Lujiazui using subway line 2, (ii) is Lujiazui the name of the station, the area or both, and (iii) is the station in the immediate vicinity of the sites that have been mentioned? Thanks again.

OsoJoe Mar 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by ls321 (Post 16088423)
A number of you have had done this so, although I hesitate to ask questions I could probably answer myself with on-line research, I'll go ahead and ask the experts: (i) what should I expect as travel time between Longyang station and Lujiazui using subway line 2, (ii) is Lujiazui the name of the station, the area or both, and (iii) is the station in the immediate vicinity of the sites that have been mentioned? Thanks again.

I can't answer (i) but it can't be more than 30 min. Line 2 trains in the afternoon are very frequent. (ii)Luijiazui is the name of both the station and area. It's the name given to the "financial district". (iii)The last time I rode the subway station about 2 years ago, there was major construction going on. I'm sure there's a more direct route these days. One more thing to consider is there is an open air double decker tourist bus that goes around that area and stops at all the major sites. You can catch a ride on it and get off wherever you'd like.

Not to throw a wrench into things but I would instead recommend you take the subway one more stop to NanJinLu. You can go to the Bund and look across at PuDong, a much more cultural experience IMO.

moondog Mar 23, 2011 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by OsoJoe (Post 16089465)
I can't answer (i) but it can't be more than 30 min.

10 mins, max (plus however long you need to wait for the train)

I would instead recommend you take the subway one more stop to NanJinLu. You can go to the Bund and look across at PuDong, a much more cultural experience IMO.
The next stop (currently named "Nanjing Dong Lu") isn't especially close to the Bund. Lujiazui + (overpriced) sightseeing tunnel would probably work better for the poster in question.

djjaguar64 May 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Shanghai Pudong Transit

Just booked a tkt for my nephew from SIN-YYZ-SIN for CAD 1400.

Now what happens when he arrives in PVG, does he go straight to the connecting flights counter or does he go through luggage collection,immig, customs and then check in to AC??

He is flying in with SQ from SIN and then connecting to the AC flight all on one ticket.

ChrisA330 May 13, 2011 3:01 pm

You have to clear immigration, collect baggage, clear customs and then re-check in with AC.

His bags will be tagged through to YYZ, but the above still applies - no matter what the agents tell you at SIN. I did the same ex-BKK, and the agent told me the bags were checked through even when they weren't.

The immigration agent will have to call a supervisor over to what I assume is authorize the non-visa entry into China, but it's still relatively smooth. Make sure to have a copy of the itinerary to hand the immigration agent.

djjaguar64 May 13, 2011 3:21 pm

Thanks Chris I hope there is burger king or something like that where he can snack.

calligow May 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Are you sure the bags will be checked in thru to YYZ? I seem to recall earlier this year I had to collect the bags then check them in again at the counter CMIIW.

Edit: Woops sorry misread your reply. So yes, agreed, collect the bags then drop them at the counter again.

Spot planes May 13, 2011 4:40 pm

You have to show the ticket, not the itinerary.

If your nephew has time, take the world's only operating public maglev train to Pudong and back.

ChrisA330 May 13, 2011 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Spot planes (Post 16381841)
You have to show the ticket, not the itinerary.

If your nephew has time, take the world's only operating public maglev train to Pudong and back.

All I showed was the first page of my itinerary. YMMV I suppose.

And yes, there is a Burger King to the far left after exiting customs on the arrival level.

YuropFlyer May 13, 2011 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 (Post 16381911)
All I showed was the first page of my itinerary. YMMV I suppose.

And yes, there is a Burger King to the far left after exiting customs on the arrival level.

There is also a Burger King inside the terminal, after security, upstairs in the "food court". Feels more relaxing, me thinks.

Shareholder May 13, 2011 6:36 pm

There's also a KFC in a food court behind the MagLev ticket booth landside.

I just did a transit in both directions through PVG. I know for sure going south your bags cannot be checked through and have to be collected in customs and cleared, then rechecked with your next carrier. One must go through immigration with all other passengers, show the officer the connecting ticket and s/he will call over a supervisor who will put a temporary visa stamp in your nephew's passport. (He will also have to show this to the airline folks when checking in and boarding as they will not let him on the flight without a valid Chinese visa, though should with a connecting ticket.)

On the way north, some airlines can through check bags and thus going landside through customs/immigration is not required if he can get the onward boarding pass from your originating carrier. If he has to repeat the bag pickup at customs, he'll do the exact same thing again.

djjaguar64 May 14, 2011 7:36 am

On the way back he will be routed thru NRT thank God. In PVG, when he exits customs with his luggage(which may or may not be tagged for YYZ in SIN) does he have to go the departures level or is everything on the same level. I dont think he is adventurous enuf to venture out of the airport so no Maglev for him.

YuropFlyer May 14, 2011 8:08 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 (Post 16384116)
On the way back he will be routed thru NRT thank God. In PVG, when he exits customs with his luggage(which may or may not be tagged for YYZ in SIN) does he have to go the departures level or is everything on the same level. I dont think he is adventurous enuf to venture out of the airport so no Maglev for him.

He has to change level, but PVG is a very modern airport, pretty clear signs and safe (think not 50 people trying to lure you into their transports) he shouldn't have any issues. Too bad he doesn't want to check out the city itself a bit, Shanghai is pretty awesome for a short stroll around. (And with the free transit visa, why not.. if he's Singaporean, not even language issues..)