Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm just asking so why are you getting so fired up about it? Plenty of people have a need to go to China. I understand the issue. I understand what you're saying. However, I want to ask every so often because we have lots of people here that are more aware of the situation than I am. I appreciate your help.
I’m not fired up, I’m just trying to convey that it’s not a good idea to travel to China now, especially with the quarantines. It’s not operating at 100% or anywhere near that. Let them get everything back up and running then come on over. It’s completely safe here as far as the virus which is why they are so strict about outsiders arriving now. You don’t want your holiday ruined by a quarantine. When the quarantine rules go away that should be a signal to you to start booking your trip.
LapLap and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm just asking so why are you getting so fired up about it? Plenty of people have a need to go to China. I understand the issue. I understand what you're saying. However, I want to ask every so often because we have lots of people here that are more aware of the situation than I am. I appreciate your help.
1. I have known travelinmanS for more than 10 years, and we used to hang out often, but this is not possible at present because each of us can only leave our houses 2x per day (there are exceptions to this rule)

2. I'm not so concerned about the virus itself because it's impossible to contract if you don't come into contact with anyone else

3. I'm also not worried about the temperature reporting because those hand thermometers tend to under report (e.g. I actually did have a 38.5 degree fever 4 weeks ago, but the hand scanner reported it as 35.4 degrees)

4. The thing is, your trip will suck unless you are fine being alone in your hotel
LapLap and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:40 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/o...nse-china.html

Seems even the NYC does agree now with what I've been saying..
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/o...nse-china.html

Seems even the NYC does agree now with what I've been saying..
Please don't confuse NYC with NYT.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:46 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
2. I'm not so concerned about the virus itself because it's impossible to contract if you don't come into contact with anyone else
If the virus is asymptomatic in its incubation period, but contagious ...every contact could potentially result in exposure.

If a country locked down their borders prior to worldwide exposure, in theory it would be impossible for residents to be infected. Have yet to read the virus traveled to US through the pacific ocean jetstream.

Old Apr 6, 2021, 7:15 am

Moondog might like that

China Signals Willingness to Open Its Military-Controlled Skies

Not strictly a Shanghai topic, but I couldn't locate a China air traffic control thread, and didn't felt it being necessary to open one for just that link.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Moondog might like that

China Signals Willingness to Open Its Military-Controlled Skies

Not strictly a Shanghai topic, but I couldn't locate a China air traffic control thread, and didn't felt it being necessary to open one for just that link.
This would be great and likely help alleviate a lot of the delays, especially in the summer months. I'm guessing the CAAC airlines have been lobbying pretty intensively as they face so much competition from HSR now and many routes.

In regards to the thread title. I just flew in and out of PVG for a domestic flight last week and I was once again reminded how much worse of an experience it is than Hongqiao. It took an hour from landing to exit the terminal, absolutely ridiculous for a domestic flight. They are using the satellite terminal for domestic flights now that there is no need to use it for international flights and that makes the experience even worse. I will pay $200 more each way to use Hongqiao in the future. PVG just plain sucks nowadays.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
This would be great and likely help alleviate a lot of the delays, especially in the summer months. I'm guessing the CAAC airlines have been lobbying pretty intensively as they face so much competition from HSR now and many routes.

In regards to the thread title. I just flew in and out of PVG for a domestic flight last week and I was once again reminded how much worse of an experience it is than Hongqiao. It took an hour from landing to exit the terminal, absolutely ridiculous for a domestic flight. They are using the satellite terminal for domestic flights now that there is no need to use it for international flights and that makes the experience even worse. I will pay $200 more each way to use Hongqiao in the future. PVG just plain sucks nowadays.
Hongqiao, T1 especially, even if you have to take Spring, is simply sublime since they renovated it. If you're flying to Beijing, you're probably stuck with T2, but those flights are top priority (i.e. your door-to-door times will beat the train 90% of the time and the food options in the terminals are decent).
Old May 2, 2023, 8:38 am

Just a quick question regarding international - international connections in Shanghai: Has anything changed since the last information in this threat?
I am asking because I think about booking a rather cheap ticket VIE - HKG (sold via OS). It would consist of VIE - PVG on OS and PVG - HKG on CX with 3 or 4 hours in PVG. I am not really keen on the whole entering China, picking up luggage, etc. process. Particularly if there is a chance to be randomly selected and tested... flight would be in September 23.
Thanks in advance!
Old May 2, 2023, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I just entered PVG https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35215395-post2877.html
I don't think anyone was randomly tested.
Entering China was quick.

This connection seems doable assuming you have visa (if required) in place. Transit without a visa would be more risky, someone else would know more as I haven't done that myself.
Old May 2, 2023, 12:43 pm

No, I don't have a visa. But as an EU citizen getting a transit visa should not be a problem, or?
Old May 2, 2023, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
If it's on one ticket, it's completely risk-free, since your bags would be checked through and you would stay in the sterile international transit area. You won't need any sort of visa.

If it's on two tickets, there's a slight risk, in that you would have to enter China to collect your bags and re-check them. All EU citizens are eligible for a transit visa upon arrival at PVG to enter Shanghai, at no cost, for up to a week (the day of your arrival + 6 days) on your way to/from a third country/region (HK counts as a different region), but on-arrival transit visas are technically given at the discretion of the border control. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_p..._144-hour_stay

See this thread for more details: China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old May 2, 2023, 6:21 pm

Thanks, that is exactly the information I was looking for. According to the pictures posted by nagspope in this threat a transfer OS -> CX is not possible airside, even on one ticket. Also other posts say that people had to go through immigration, pick up their bags, recheck,... Someone wrote that even for an Air China connection on one ticket it was not possible to check through the baggage and he had to go landside.
Can you confirm that this has changed? In this case I would book the flight and take the 3 hour connection (4 hours would be to other possibility).
Old May 3, 2023, 2:31 am

Luggage can be checked through when flying through PVG, no problem. You will stay airside/transit and not needing to do TWOV (and won’t get it either on such short connection)
moondog likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 8:53 am

That's great news. Thanks a lot to both of you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.