Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2010, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nkedel
Is two hours likely to be enough to drop off and pick up my passport, or should I allow more time?
I've never spent more than 30 minutes in the SF consulate on the drop-off side or 5 minutes on the pick-up. I've heard that those guys don't give out great visas any more, but you should be able to swing 12 months, 30 days/stay as a US citizen. Last time I went (5+ years ago), parking was free.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Here's one set of days that gets this fare around the time I'm going -
946.70 USD AI (834.00 USD before taxes/fees) Fare code is QKX7HP6S - AA segments are mile-earning, KA/CX segments are non-mile-earning (some of the alternative PEK/PVG-HKG flights are actual CX metal but it won't matter)

Weekend days bump it up by about $40, I think. Not sure what the date range is - I'm basically looking from the 15th-30th of Nov.

PIT-PEK is even cheaper ($894 AI, same days); PIT-PVG slightly pricier ($1034 AI, same days). There are some longer domestic routings (DFW, MIA, etc) which could boost the PIT-ORD mileage by a bit.

Nov 16:
AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY AMERICAN EAGLE #4114
Dep: PIT Pittsburgh Nov 15, 2010 06:00 AM
Arr: ORD Chicago Nov 15, 2010 06:30 AM
ER4 Economy miles: 412

AMERICAN AIRLINES #289
Dep: ORD Chicago Nov 15, 2010 10:35 AM
Arr: PVG Shanghai Nov 16, 2010 03:05 PM
777 Economy miles: 7057 Lunch Dinner

Nov 17:
CATHAY PACIFIC OPERATED BY DRAGONAIR-HKG #6861
Dep: PVG Shanghai Nov 17, 2010 01:20 PM
Arr: HKG Hong Kong Nov 17, 2010 04:05 PM
321 Economy

Nov 21:
CATHAY PACIFIC OPERATED BY DRAGONAIR-HKG #6874
Dep: HKG Hong Kong Nov 21, 2010 03:00 PM
Arr: PEK Beijing Nov 21, 2010 06:15 PM
330 Economy

Nov 22:
AMERICAN AIRLINES #186
Dep: PEK Beijing Nov 22, 2010 04:55 PM
Arr: ORD Chicago Nov 22, 2010 03:45 PM
777 Economy miles: 6580

AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY AMERICAN EAGLE #3945
dep: ORD Chicago Nov 22, 2010 08:05 PM
arr: PIT Pittsburgh Nov 22, 2010 10:35 PM
ER4 Economy miles: 412

I have not checked with AA to find out if they'll let me board without a visa. It's a good question to ask this afternoon when I call AAdvantage customer service to double-check that the itinerary is valid for the PIT 3xRDM/2xEQM promo. (The CX/KA legs aside, of course)

update: Spoke to AAdvantage customer service. Don't take the exact itinerary above if you want to use the PITTD promotion; they said in very certain terms that using a different international gateway each way would invalidate the promotion. Out and back via PEK /or/ PVG as long as it is the same one both ways would be fine, however, as would sub-24-hour layovers (24hr+ stopovers are not, and AFAICT also bump the fare to about $1500)
Thanks. THis was the same as I was finding. I was hoping that it was a code share flight with full EQMs.

Yep, open jaws don't work for the promotion.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Thanks. THis was the same as I was finding. I was hoping that it was a code share flight with full EQMs.
Looking at the PDF timetable, there doesn't seem to be such a beast. There is a China eastern codeshare to Guangzhou (CAN); the fares are a couple $100 higher.

Not going via China, there do seem to be a few days in Nov (eg: out 21st, back 30th, $995 AI) where the same range of fares can get you PIT-ORD-NRT-HKG with the NRT-HKG as a AA codeshare number on either CX or JL.

Yep, open jaws don't work for the promotion.
I would not have thought a sub-24-hour stay in two gateway cities would count as an open jaw, but can't be helped.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, DL, BA, LH
Is two hours likely to be enough to drop off and pick up my passport, or should I allow more time?
I go to the consulate in SF once or twice a year, the situation has really changed this year and the lines have gotten much longer. In May, I came near closing at the end of a mid-week day, I waited 30 min. for drop off, some people ahead of me had waited 60-90 min. For pickup, I waited an hour, again on a mid-week afternoon. I've usually been able to find parking within a couple blocks on the street for free.

As for the visa length, they have given me 60 day multiple entry visas every time, no discussion, I just put my stay down as some period over 30 days and they've given me 60.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by fsfguy
As for the visa length, they have given me 60 day multiple entry visas every time, no discussion, I just put my stay down as some period over 30 days and they've given me 60.
I'm really convinced that we need to wipe SF and NY off our radar screens if we want to get good visas. I have a hunch that DC is still good, but none of us have stepped to the plate there in order to prove it.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, DL, BA, LH
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm really convinced that we need to wipe SF and NY off our radar screens if we want to get good visas. I have a hunch that DC is still good, but none of us have stepped to the plate there in order to prove it.
Just curious, what do you consider good? What's the best you've gotten?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by fsfguy
Just curious, what do you consider good? What's the best you've gotten?
2 years is good in my opinion, and these certainly still exist. I was most recently offered one in DC in early 2009 (post Olympics is key point here), but I settled for 1 because they wanted me to go to the nearby Kinko's to forge an invitation letter, and I didn't have time.

Other than that, F is better than L because you can simply write "business" on your arrival card, rather than explaining you intend to visit the Great Wall and wil be staying at the St. Regis (not a huge deal, but business visas are often easier to work with).

Finally, I often try to bump my days/stay up by 30 with each successive visa.

I'm at 120 now, and don't foresee the need to go much higher, in part because if I ever get stuck in China on a 180 day project, I don't want my hosts to even think about keeping me there for 6 months straight. But, the 30 to 60 day jump is definitely useful.

Best I've had is 2 year F, 120 days/stay.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 3:41 pm

Shanghai Airport Transfer Question

I am flying into Shanghai Pudong on a China Eastern flight from Xi'an that arrives in Terminal 1 and transferring to a United flight to San Francisco that departs from Terminal 2. I assume I will have to go through check in for Untied in Shanghai. I have 2 hours 40 minutes between flights. My travel agent said there is a 3 hour min transit time. I will only have carry on luggage. Anyone know if I have enough time to make this connection?

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2010, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I've been through PVG many times I've never connected through there. I can't imagine it taking 3 hours, though.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by brollend
I am flying into Shanghai Pudong on a China Eastern flight from Xi'an that arrives in Terminal 1 and transferring to a United flight to San Francisco that departs from Terminal 2. I assume I will have to go through check in for Untied in Shanghai. I have 2 hours 40 minutes between flights. My travel agent said there is a 3 hour min transit time. I will only have carry on luggage. Anyone know if I have enough time to make this connection?

Thanks!
If your domestic flight arrives on time, you won't have any problem with carry-on only. You can walk from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 in less than 20 minutes.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, B6
Originally Posted by oldmonster
If your domestic flight arrives on time, you won't have any problem with carry-on only. You can walk from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 in less than 20 minutes.
I agree.

Even with bags, you'd probably be OK assuming the MU flight arrived on time. I've arrived 2 hrs before UA departures with bags to check and had plenty of time. (I've also done a T2-T1 international to domestic transfer, including re-checking luggage, in 1:40... it worked out, but it was cutting it a little close - wouldn't recommend it as regular practice!)
Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I will have to keep my fingers crossed that the first domestic flight will be on time.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Without checked luggage or customs you should be completely fine. I've had long lines there, but security has always been really efficient in getting through them. The walk is 10 minutes at a fast pace and maybe more like 20 at a slow pace.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by astroflyer
Without checked luggage or customs you should be completely fine. I've had long lines there, but security has always been really efficient in getting through them. The walk is 10 minutes at a fast pace and maybe more like 20 at a slow pace.
I've seen total gridlock a handful of times, but only missed one flight due to security (airlines tend to hold flights when a significant portion of their passengers are held up).

Anyway, I agree that security generally moves pretty quickly.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moondog
I've seen total gridlock a handful of times, but only missed one flight due to security (airlines tend to hold flights when a significant portion of their passengers are held up).

Anyway, I agree that security generally moves pretty quickly.
+1. OP, you should be fine. The only risk is if your MU flight is delayed out of XIY which always could happen. Getting out of T1 wont be a problem, no security. Getting to T2 should take 10-20 min max and security should be pretty quick. I've never had an issue with security lines in China ever, esp at PVG (and for international flights).

Just in case, do OLCI with UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.