Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Indulgent Sunday Brunch or Dim Sum Recommendations - Shanghai

Old Jul 10, 14, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Time Gold, AA Exec Plat, UA Premier Platinum, *A Gold, SPG Gold

Spending 4 nights in Shanghai, at the JW, for the 2nd week of our trip to China. Planning ahead for a lazy Sunday. Get a reservation, eat, enjoy and head back to the hotel (maybe walk it off a bit) and relax with a food coma. Any recommendations for an indulgent sunday brunch or dim sum? I'm allergic to eggs so please hold the fantastic eggs benedict recommendations. For this rare instance, I don't care if it's touristy as much as it's easily accessible and great food - the free flowing champagne is also welcome. Would prefer a restaurant that is not overly stuffy either. Suggestions?

Thoughts on the Vue? Or the Langham? Is the food at the Westin as good or are you also paying for the show? Doesn't need to be a hotel - these were just the suggestions I've found so far. And not too many children running around please.

Thanks! My stomach thanks you too!
Old Jul 10, 14, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used to be a big fan of the hotel brunches but the quality has gone down and the prices have gone WAY up over the years... the westin by a factor of 5x for example. You can do far better by going to a standalone restaurant like Madison.
Old Jul 10, 14, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Time Gold, AA Exec Plat, UA Premier Platinum, *A Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I used to be a big fan of the hotel brunches but the quality has gone down and the prices have gone WAY up over the years... the westin by a factor of 5x for example. You can do far better by going to a standalone restaurant like Madison.
Thanks! Madison's brunch menu looked a little egg heavy with all the other options being fried or heavy from the various posts I've seen so I skipped it. Saw a post on brunch at T8? Any thoughts on that?
Old Jul 10, 14, 8:13 pm

I like the "la vie en rose" brunch at the Le Meridian. Although by no means a good value, it's a better value than the westin or shangri la for what you get. Moondog is right though, the days of the glorious champagne brunches on the cheap are over.
Old Jul 10, 14, 8:24 pm

I like the "la vie en rose" brunch at the Le Meridian. Although by no means a good value, it's a better value than the westin or shangri la for what you get. Moondog is right though, the days of the glorious champagne brunches on the cheap are over.
Old Jul 10, 14, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
Isn't there a risk of lots of kids running around at LRM?

It will be crowded on Sundays, but afterward you could walk to and along the Bund and then maybe do one of the excursion cruises from there.

It could be fun to try Sunday brunch in one of the historic hotels like the Peace Hotel (Fairmont), the Park, one of the ones just beyond the Bund or in the French Concession (maybe not so great for the brunch itself).

Since OP doesn't want eggs, maybe a brunch where you order from the menu (one of the Bund restaurant? although they can be pretentious) instead of buffet or even just a nice a la carte lunch place. There are many nice places for lunch in the French Concession, although it's not a gentle stroll from the JW.
Old Jul 11, 14, 6:57 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Zhabei features some Shanghainese teahouses where you get either traditional or modernized dumplings and other small dishes to be had with tea or juice. And here the other customers are often born in Shanghai so both price and quality tend to be agreeable.

I'd also consider a day trip out to Suzhou for a Sunday lunch/brunch. Kempinski sunday brunch at Dushu lake, local fish and seafood at Taihu lake or elegant Suzhou classics at the more traditional hotels in the old town.
Old Jul 11, 14, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Made a reservation at LRM so it's in the books as we leave tomorrow and not sure how much researching I can do after that. Bummer that it's not a better value but it's a holiday!

How does LRM compare to Vue? LRM seems like a more fun atmosphere.

Also looking at Ye Shanghai or Crystal Jade.

Day trip to Suzhou doesn't quite fit with our roll back to the hotel plans but will keep it in mind for another day!
Old Jul 11, 14, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This article is pretty good, apart from the westin plug (the stage honestly isn't anything special).

http://chubbyhubby.net/travel/5-best...hanghai-china/
Old Jul 11, 14, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
This article is pretty good, apart from the westin plug (the stage honestly isn't anything special).

http://chubbyhubby.net/travel/5-best...hanghai-china/
Ding! Napa checks all the boxes!! Brilliant.
Now it's a matter of seeing who wins as travel partner is quite intrigued by the "nurses" at LRM.
Old Jul 11, 14, 9:52 pm

Nurses should swing it towards the LRM! It's a fun time and how often do you get unlimited pink champagne!
Old Jul 11, 14, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
Nurses should swing it towards the LRM! It's a fun time and how often do you get unlimited pink champagne!
While I'm unable to refute the nurse argument, I feel compelled to point out that today's mass market nv champagnes are generally crap.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: