FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   new Air China lounge Shanghai Pudong (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1577778-new-air-china-lounge-shanghai-pudong.html)

moondog Oct 12, 2014 9:41 am

Originally Posted by trueblu (Post 23664569)

If this was an only visit to SH, and one had a long layover, would definitely recommend it. However, the travel to and fro ate up 2.5 hours of my 5 hrs, and of course, I wanted to head back a little early too..

Unfortunately, Madison is in one of least convenient areas (inside 内环) to reach from PVG via public transit. If you had stuck close to JA Temple, People's Square, or Lujiazui, you would have been able to reduce the travel time by at least 45 minutes, but the walk itself isn't such a bad thing when the weather is nice, and you were able to pass time in a more relaxed --even if a bit too hipster/trendy-- part of town.

michaelpowell44 Feb 2, 2015 11:43 pm

PEK lounge UPDATE

Per the designair.com post PEK lounges are slated for an update too. Any information on the status of this?

Flying Machine Mar 22, 2015 6:53 pm

Gosh, I have *Gold and Priorty Pass. Flying UA To LAX. I will be at the airport for a few hours before my flight. (Please no bandwith on why not to stay at PVG and use an Airline Club) With that said, which are the best? Thanks and Safe Travels

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Mar 22, 2015 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 24549139)
Gosh, I have *Gold and Priorty Pass. Flying UA To LAX. I will be at the airport for a few hours before my flight. (Please no bandwith on why not to stay at PVG and use an Airline Club) With that said, which are the best? Thanks and Safe Travels

The Air China lounge is perfectly acceptable! If you have free entry to that I'd be staying there.

It's fresh, spacious, modern.

Flying Machine Mar 22, 2015 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 24549374)
The Air China lounge is perfectly acceptable! If you have free entry to that I'd be staying there.

It's fresh, spacious, modern.

Thanks, I am Star Gold, which side does UA or TK Star Golds have access to
When not flying premium cabin, I understand there is a F and Business Section.

Thanks and Safe Travels..

UPDATE: Per Star Alliance Loung Finder Business Class Side
Air China Business Lounge Air China Lounge (Business Class) Terminal 2 4th & 5th floor,
Just after security

Is this Lounge Near Gate 71 Close to UA Gates? Thanks

Seems real nice, why did people state to avoid lounges at PVG?? Just watched a youtube about the lounge..

sniles Mar 23, 2015 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 24549484)
Thanks, I am Star Gold, which side does UA or TK Star Golds have access to
When not flying premium cabin, I understand there is a F and Business Section.

Thanks and Safe Travels..

UPDATE: Per Star Alliance Loung Finder Business Class Side
Air China Business Lounge Air China Lounge (Business Class) Terminal 2 4th & 5th floor,
Just after security

Is this Lounge Near Gate 71 Close to UA Gates? Thanks

Seems real nice, why did people state to avoid lounges at PVG?? Just watched a youtube about the lounge..

The entrance to the lounge is one floor up from the general gate level, take the escalator directly after security, once upstairs walk past the restaurants towards the back, and then through a glass hallway. In terms of location its directly above passport control / security.

moondog Mar 23, 2015 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 24549484)

Bad food, cheap booze v. some okay restaurants and stores in the concourse. I actually don't mind the lounges for 20 minute stretches. But, longer than that means that I've either gotten to the airport too early or I'm on an extended delay (in which case, I try to craft a better plan on the fly).

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Mar 23, 2015 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 24554394)
Bad food, cheap booze v. some okay restaurants and stores in the concourse. I actually don't mind the lounges for 20 minute stretches. But, longer than that means that I've either gotten to the airport too early or I'm on an extended delay (in which case, I try to craft a better plan on the fly).

and on the reverse... I see it as free food, free booze, and if i have an hour to wait and relax then I'm happy. I'd much rather arrive at PVG with an hour to spare than sitting worried in the taxi that I'm running late!

I do miss the massage chairs in the Shanghai Airlines lounge though... (not that i could ever really work out how to use them...)

uanj Mar 27, 2015 11:43 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 24554409)
and on the reverse... I see it as free food, free booze, and if i have an hour to wait and relax then I'm happy. I'd much rather arrive at PVG with an hour to spare than sitting worried in the taxi that I'm running late!

I do miss the massage chairs in the Shanghai Airlines lounge though... (not that i could ever really work out how to use them...)

and several English newspapers!

gwaipor Apr 12, 2015 9:48 pm

Hello everyone

I'm staying over at PVG for overnight and wondered if there were any lounges that I can use. I'm flying in with Asiana J class and I've been told I can use the ticket to access this lounge - is this correct?

Also I have priority pass and a BA ticket departing

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Apr 13, 2015 2:09 am

Originally Posted by gwaipor (Post 24656241)
Hello everyone

I'm staying over at PVG for overnight and wondered if there were any lounges that I can use. I'm flying in with Asiana J class and I've been told I can use the ticket to access this lounge - is this correct?

Also I have priority pass and a BA ticket departing

Hi Gwaipor and welcome to FT!

There's a couple of issues you may need to consider here. I note from the TWOV thread that you have a 10 hour stay at Shanghai. You will be arriving Asiana, and departing British Airways.

If you have bags, you may need to collect them on arrival in Shanghai. If that is the case, you'll have to wait until the BA check-in opens before you can check them in, and return to the departures area. Check-in usually opens around 3 hours before departure.

Even if you don't need to collect bags, you need to find out if the lounge you want access to is open 24 hours. If BA uses the Cathay Pacific Lounge, that closes at around 9pm (or last CX departure for the night).

If all of the above checks out (you can through check bags and the lounge is open), I would still suggest the lounges aren't really a good place for sleeping, and would suggest you book a hotel.

There is a hotel on site at Shanghai, located at the midpoint of the walkway between terminals 1 and 2. It is reasonably priced, and at least you'll be able to get some sleep.

moondog Apr 13, 2015 2:23 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 24656729)

If all of the above checks out (you can through check bags and the lounge is open), I would still suggest the lounges aren't really a good place for sleeping, and would suggest you book a hotel.

+1

gwaipor Apr 13, 2015 3:22 am

Will take your advice and try for a hotel. Our flight departs at 0730 though BA1168 so just wondered how easy it is to get from hotel to T2 in the wee hours of morning?

And confirmed I'll need to pass immigration with 24 hr transfer and collect luggage to check back in.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Apr 13, 2015 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by gwaipor (Post 24656868)
Will take your advice and try for a hotel. Our flight departs at 0730 though BA1168 so just wondered how easy it is to get from hotel to T2 in the wee hours of morning?

And confirmed I'll need to pass immigration with 24 hr transfer and collect luggage to check back in.

the hotel is located right inside the airport buildings - landside - between terminal 1 and 2. You walk out of the hotel about 100 yards, up an escalator, and you're at the check in counters.

Arriving at 9.30pm and departing the next morning at 0730 I can't see any reason for you to go into town unless you were going to pull an all-nighter. Yes the airport hotel will be boring... there's nothing much to see out there... but by the time you arrived in town, found the hotel, and then had to be up at 4am the next morning to get ready it really isn't worth it.

Here are the details of the hotel at the airport, courtesy of trip advisor... you can then search for the best deal: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_...-Shanghai.html

gwaipor Apr 14, 2015 8:51 pm

I am tempted to just sleep overnight on the seats, if not I'l play by ear to check out the hotel.

Question: I arrive 20:55 and have to check out bags etc
Is it possible I check in my next day's bags before the BA desk closes? like a super early check in service