Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

new Air China lounge Shanghai Pudong

new Air China lounge Shanghai Pudong

Old Jul 14, 14, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by italdesign View Post
I'm wondering how this works. Is the security line never busy, or do you use a priority line? I'm going there tomorrow and flying in J and have a few hours to see the city so it would be good to know.

BTW, flying J on NZ. Anyone know if I'll be directed to the new CA lounge?
I arrive at the airport two hours before for international flights. Check-in and security is normally fairly quick, but on bad days i have been in the passport queue for 30 minutes at Shanghai.

At Shanghai they now have a checked bag security check which means you can't even get your boarding pass until it has passed security. If your bag is flagged, you need to go to a special room where the bag is inspected, and if there are three or four people in front of you it can take some time before you get your bag cleared. A large size aerosol can get your bag flagged.

I then have 1 hour in the lounge(s) before boarding the plane. I don't see any particular need to arrive at the airport just 60 minutes before, or any reason to outright avoid lounges. They are just fine to sit, relax, have a drink and chill.
Old Jul 14, 14, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
I don't see any particular need to arrive at the airport just 60 minutes before,
It's not really a "need", but I prefer spending time at pretty much anywhere else than the airport. Plus, I usually get to see a lot more than I bargained for during my tarmac holds.
Old Sep 3, 14, 10:44 am

Programs: DL Silver/MM, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I am considering booking a domestic first class ticket on Air China from PVG. Does that give me access to the lounge or is it for international flights only?
Old Sep 3, 14, 11:23 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Richard1148 View Post
I am considering booking a domestic first class ticket on Air China from PVG. Does that give me access to the lounge or is it for international flights only?
It will be a different lounge, the Domestic Air China Lounge. Which is not bad, is centrally located up above all the main Air China gates with a great view. Only has only a few simple hot dishes at lunch, some fruit, loads of packages beans and things. Wine that would probably corrode even aluminium, cans and bottles of domestic beer. Seldom crowded, several English newspapers. it's not half bad, but it is a step up from the infamous Shanghai Airlines lounge 77 but below the new Air China International Lounge.

You will get to ride the golf cart to the lounge, and it is rather long so I suggest trying it out, can be fun. If you are seated on the back, hold on. My colleague fell off once.
Old Sep 3, 14, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL Silver/MM, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by uanj View Post
It will be a different lounge, the Domestic Air China Lounge. Which is not bad, is centrally located up above all the main Air China gates with a great view.
Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to stay away from the wine.
Old Oct 8, 14, 1:04 pm

Can you use an United Club pass to access this lounge?
Old Oct 9, 14, 7:12 am

Programs: BA - Blue
I have a bit of a conundrum. This Sunday, I have to be at PVG in the early afternoon -- to be picked up (along with a bunch of incoming academics from overseas) to go to a remote location.

Unfortunately, from PEK, the only flight that gets me to PVG arrives (assuming on time) 6 hours early.... I know that I could fly into SHA later and shlep it across to PVG, but since that seems to take an age, I thought to be honest, it's even more of a hassle.

So I'm going to bring plenty of work with me, as well as my kindle, and just slum it for the several hours wait. Since I've never flown into PVG, only SHA. I'm wondering whether I can get into the airside domestic lounge after arrival...and will they let me in? (I have PP, which should let me in, but since my BP is inbound not outbound, I'm a little doubtful).

It's not a total disaster if I can't get into the lounge: I'll still be able to get the free wifi and just park next to an A/C outlet.

tb
Old Oct 9, 14, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not liking your plan tb. I'll try to msg you later with some ideas. I don't think the lounge plan is going to pan out for you, but this might be a blessing in disguise.
Old Oct 9, 14, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by trueblu View Post
I have a bit of a conundrum. This Sunday, I have to be at PVG in the early afternoon -- to be picked up (along with a bunch of incoming academics from overseas) to go to a remote location.

Unfortunately, from PEK, the only flight that gets me to PVG arrives (assuming on time) 6 hours early.... I know that I could fly into SHA later and shlep it across to PVG, but since that seems to take an age, I thought to be honest, it's even more of a hassle.

So I'm going to bring plenty of work with me, as well as my kindle, and just slum it for the several hours wait. Since I've never flown into PVG, only SHA. I'm wondering whether I can get into the airside domestic lounge after arrival...and will they let me in? (I have PP, which should let me in, but since my BP is inbound not outbound, I'm a little doubtful).

It's not a total disaster if I can't get into the lounge: I'll still be able to get the free wifi and just park next to an A/C outlet.

tb
This is a bad idea. In your situation I'd first ask if it were possible for your party to swing by SHA and pick you up. If not, if take the train from Beijing to Hongqiao with an arrival 1.5 hours before your pudong pickup. Then I'd hop on subway line 2 to Longyang road station and transfer to the maglev to pudong. This shouldn't take more than an hour and 10 minutes. You'll be at Pudong right on time and you'll have saved 6 hours of waiting. You can also take a taxi from SHA to PVG in under an hour.
Old Oct 9, 14, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
This is a bad idea. In your situation I'd first ask if it were possible for your party to swing by SHA and pick you up. If not, if take the train from Beijing to Hongqiao with an arrival 1.5 hours before your pudong pickup. Then I'd hop on subway line 2 to Longyang road station and transfer to the maglev to pudong. This shouldn't take more than an hour and 10 minutes. You'll be at Pudong right on time and you'll have saved 6 hours of waiting. You can also take a taxi from SHA to PVG in under an hour.
Based on the assumption that he already bought a ticket to PVG, I advised him to head into town, get brunch (this is happening on Sunday), do something cool, AND/OR hang out in a nice cafe during the 6 hours in question.

But, I do like your idea about having the rest of the group pick him up in the Hongqiao area; odds are that there isn't much of a detour.

Subway/Maglev is an awful way to get between SHA and PVG, by the way. The #1 bus or taxi are better.
Old Oct 9, 14, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
Based on the assumption that he already bought a ticket to PVG, I advised him to head into town, get brunch (this is happening on Sunday), do something cool, AND/OR hang out in a nice cafe during the 6 hours in question.

But, I do like your idea about having the rest of the group pick him up in the Hongqiao area; odds are that there isn't much of a detour.

Subway/Maglev is an awful way to get between SHA and PVG, by the way. The #1 bus or taxi are better.
Old Oct 10, 14, 5:18 am

I've already bought my ticket to PVG. I asked if I could be picked up at SHA and the answer was "go to PVG". Admittedly, I didn't say that would mean I would be waiting around so long...

And at least according to google maps, non-taxi routes from SHA to PVG looked as if they would take nearly 2 hrs. Since I would want to have at least 1 hr buffer, that would actually only allow me a couple of hours extra time in bed, and if my flight was delayed (distinct possibility at the moment with the awful smog), I figured it could all go horribly wrong.

I'm toying with the brunch idea in Shanghai. Although with the maglev/subway the return trip to town looks around 1.5 hrs so it seems like a very long round-trip for an hour or two in town. On this assumption, any decent brunch spots near public transport that are particularly to be recommended?

tb
Old Oct 10, 14, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trueblu View Post
I've already bought my ticket to PVG. I asked if I could be picked up at SHA and the answer was "go to PVG". Admittedly, I didn't say that would mean I would be waiting around so long...
In my earlier China years, I routinely caved into "group think" demands on the grounds of not wanting to be the squeaky wheel. I endured all sorts of inconveniences towards this end (e.g. taking the CA PEK-SIN flight that stops in XMN in order to travel with the CITIC guys, participation in pointless morning exercises, excruciatingly long KTV sessions that didn't achieve any tangible objectives, traveling half way across town to catch a group bus to a destination that was only Y100 away by taxi).

Except in rare cases when business is on the line, I no longer play it that way. And, honestly, it's not all that hard being the odd man out once you get used to it.

Getting back to your case, I will try to give you some more specific suggestions for spending Sunday in SH tomorrow. In the meantime, it would be useful to know more about your projected time frame.

Last edited by moondog; Oct 10, 14 at 10:36 am
Old Oct 10, 14, 10:10 am

I'm with you on this md...the company in this case is fairly exalted (incl. a Nobel laureate) so perhaps that made me cave. Although the logistics were all in discussion with the Chinese organizer. I'm sure my colleagues will think me insane to agreeing! And in retrospect, a simple to the point explanation from my part would I'm sure have led to reasonable alternatives, but at any rate, it's now done!

I get into PVG around 09:30 and have to be back there by 15:00, although I'd actually aim to be back by 14:30 at the latest. Brunch doesn't really kick off until 11:30, which means I could comfortably make it there, and then start heading back around 13:00 with time to spare...

I do actually have an insane amount of work to do and catch up on, but the thought of being stuck in the airport is pushing me towards heading into SH.

tb
Old Oct 12, 14, 7:27 am

OK, I did decide to go into town, and I'm glad I did, but I don't think staying would have been that bad. I know md says it constantly, but the airport bus was certainly convenient, inexpensive and relatively quick (relatively little traffic on a Sunday).

And the weather was great for strolling around. I went to Jing'An, walked to Madison for brunch, and then headed back, quick walk around the temple area (but didn't go in) and then hopped back onto the bus to the airport.

If this was an only visit to SH, and one had a long layover, would definitely recommend it. However, the travel to and fro ate up 2.5 hours of my 5 hrs, and of course, I wanted to head back a little early too..

If the weather was bad, or I had more baggage, and if like me, you are happy either reading a book or catching up on work, I would consider just staying in the airport. The free wifi is unlimited (unlike some airports) and the seats are comfortable, and for domestic arrivals, you stay airside, so have access to a lot of shops/ restaurants etc.

tb

Search this Thread
Search Engine: