Search

Ctrip fares for PRC citizen only?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:50 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Ctrip fares for PRC citizen only?

I was doing a business class fare search on an OTA and for some reason, Ctrip returned a fare that was about 50% the going rate for that particular route. However, when I clicked through to the Ctrip site, I noticed the following:

Note the text at the bottom: " Restrictions apply. Notes: Only applicable to China (PRC) passport holder. For Non-China passport holder, the agency must fax copy of passenger's granted Mainland Temporary Residence Permit to Ctrip at least 2 days prior to ticketing."

I was surprised by the large discount for a ticket that doesn't originate in the PRC proper. Does Ctrip often do this? Moreover, is it enforceable?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by armagebedar
I was doing a business class fare search on an OTA and for some reason, Ctrip returned a fare that was about 50% the going rate for that particular route.
I would hazard to guess that the restriction in question was imposed by CX itself because, as you point out, the fare is 50% less than on their own website.

During Expo, MU and FM were running lots of PRC-citizen only fares (on many channels). Technically, dual pricing is a violation of China's 2005 WTO obligations, but the airlines in question had a clever work around iirc.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: various
Yep, airline-sponsored special fare for RESIDENTS of China. Note that foreigners are included in the promo IF they can provide a Residence Permit for China (which foreigners in China on long-term student visas or working visas can). I should think structured this way, the fare/promo would be enforceable.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
Yep, airline-sponsored special fare for RESIDENTS of China. Note that foreigners are included in the promo IF they can provide a Residence Permit for China (which foreigners in China on long-term student visas or working visas can). I should think structured this way, the fare/promo would be enforceable.
Hotels can print these out pretty easily, even for single night guests.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:04 pm

Considering that the law specifically says that people with a tourist or business visa are not eligible to get a residence permit, can kind of piece of paper will hotel issue? If hotels can now hand out Residence Permits, that is news to me!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
Considering that the law specifically says that people with a tourist or business visa are not eligible to get a residence permit, can kind of piece of paper will hotel issue? If hotels can now hand out Residence Permits, that is news to me!
The OP clearly states that a temporary residence permit is acceptable. Every single foreign hotel guest in China is a temporary resident
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
The OP clearly states that a temporary residence permit is acceptable. Every single foreign hotel guest in China is a temporary resident
Yes, that's what the wording says but I assumed that's not what they meant, and they are actually talking about the Residence Permit that goes in one's passport. I suppose a call to CX or the agent would clear up what is required, if anybody really cares to find out. If it truly only takes that little slip of paper that you can get upon request from your hotel (the Temporary Certificate of Residence), then there's your big loophole right there. Or at least, a loophole exploitable by anybody who's currently in the PRC and can get this little slip.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
Hotels can print these out pretty easily, even for single night guests.
That is not the case.

The Short Term Residence Permit, is for any foreigner holding a student or work permit in China, once they arrived in China, you suppose to register with local policy office (same as what we have in the UK for anyone stay here more than 6 months). This is enforced especially if anyone rent a flat in residential area living with local Chinese.

You can not get any hotel to issue such Permit, it's only be issued by local police force.

Back to the OP, CX (and Thai, China Airlines, etc.) do issue what we call Regional Fares in travel industry. They are cheaper than what the Western travel agents can offer through the three main ticketing platforms.

So they are only available within that particular region, with Ctrip more and more popular with us booking from outside China, I expect to see such restriction happen more often. Because CX know by applying such restriction, it stops us buying the same flight at cheaper price.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by MP (Miles+Points)
That is not the case.

The Short Term Residence Permit, is for any foreigner holding a student or work permit in China, once they arrived in China, you suppose to register with local policy office (same as what we have in the UK for anyone stay here more than 6 months). This is enforced especially if anyone rent a flat in residential area living with local Chinese.

You can not get any hotel to issue such Permit, it's only be issued by local police force.
Assuming the hotel is in compliance with the law, it sends your information to the local PSB on your behalf. If you want a piece of paper proving this, you can either go to the PSB in person or request the hotel to do the same. It is the exact same document I get when registering at the PSB myself (private residence on a business visa).
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:58 am

For the confused out there---

it is not clear which one of these ctrip wanted the prospective special fare ticket buyer to produce.

暂住证 Zànzhùzhèng = Residence Permit. This is what MP is talking about and is pasted into the passport after one enters on a Work or Study visa > 6 months. Issued by the central PSB authorities in a city and participation of one's employer, organization, or university is required to get it. For the term of its validity, it serves as a multiple entry visa with no limit on stays of duration.

临时住宿登记表 Línshí zhùsù dēngjì biǎo = Registration Form of Temporary Residence. This is what moondog is talking about and is issued by the local police station where your hotel, hostel, temporary or permanent residence is located. Most casual visitors staying in commercial lodging never see this since the information is taken from your passport when you check in and transmitted electronically to the police. The form (a slip of paper) is only issued to you (by hotel or local police station) if you specifically request it--for instance, if you need to extend your visa. Longer staying visitors living in apartments or with friends get one and keep it to be shown if the authorities ask for it; it is a fineable offense not to be registered whether or not you get the actual slip of paper in your hands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.