Wiki Posts
Search

Hangzhou Location & Hotel Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Hangzhou Location & Hotel Recommendations

Hi All!

I'm planning my second trip to China. First trip last year was spot on with advice from everyone here!

Just wanted to get some advice about hotels in Hangzhou and things to see.

- Anyone been to this Hilton? Seems to be pretty solid ... right next to metro line 1 -Jinsha Lake stop.

DoubleTree Hangzhou East - link
Google Maps - http://goo.gl/AtqLGJ

- Is Qiandao Lake worth visiting? Looks to be about 2 hours from the main city and doesn't seem that popular.

- How is the metro in the city? Seems to be only 1 line so far?

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2013, 1:40 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
While I can't comment on the hotel, why did you pick a hotel so far away from West Lake?

IMHO, the best part of Hangzhou is to be able to take the scenic walk around West Lake. In the evening, it is beautiful and totally different vibe than during the day.

Instead of going to see another lake, what about going to Suzhou? It is fairly close and there are lots of famous tourist sites to see there.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 2:37 am

[QUOTE=Taiwaned;21621544]While I can't comment on the hotel, why did you pick a hotel so far away from West Lake?

IMHO, the best part of Hangzhou is to be able to take the scenic walk around West Lake. In the evening, it is beautiful and totally different vibe than during the day.

i agree with Taiwaned, it's nice to take a walk around West Lake during night. You can choose Shangri-La or Amanfayun, they are near West Lake. If you got time, you could visit Xixi Wetland park. You will like it.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 3:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

[QUOTE=zoe116;21621671]
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
While I can't comment on the hotel, why did you pick a hotel so far away from West Lake?

i agree with Taiwaned, it's nice to take a walk around West Lake during night. You can choose Shangri-La or Amanfayun, they are near West Lake. If you got time, you could visit Xixi Wetland park. You will like it.
+2
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:04 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=zoe116;21621671]
Originally Posted by Taiwaned

Thanks guys. I choose the hotel because I'm diamond /w Hilton =/
Weest Lake doesn't seem too far via a short metro ride or cab.

I'm definitely going to goto Suzhou. Right now I'm not sure what the order should be, but I'm going to fly into Shanghai and goto both Hangzhou and Suzou.

Any idea how many days per city?
Old Oct 17, 2013, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

[QUOTE=tiblot;21622374]
Originally Posted by zoe116

Thanks guys. I choose the hotel because I'm diamond /w Hilton =/
Weest Lake doesn't seem too far via a short metro ride or cab.

I'm definitely going to goto Suzhou. Right now I'm not sure what the order should be, but I'm going to fly into Shanghai and goto both Hangzhou and Suzou.

Any idea how many days per city?
Stay at a lakeside hotel in Hangzhou; we are not joking about this (best sleep of your life). Your "short" taxi ride from the Hilton will surely entail 20 mins in each direction. Table Suzhou for your next trip.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:35 am

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
Hyatt (it's a Regency, but for me one of the best Hyatts) or Shangri La (a bit dated, but splendid location). Every Hotel not located directly at the lack is a waste of a fantastic experience! Sofitel is a compromise, since this particular Hotel to my experience comes close to 3*.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: BA - Blue
I was in Hangzhou for the first time for work some months ago. We were put up in a Chinese hotel (can't recall exact name, had jin <gold> in it) -- on the opposite (west) side of the west lake from all the big name brands. I have to say, it was wonderful. Whilst the 'main drag' of the lake was teeming with tourists, our side was so tranquil and peaceful, it was really magical.

The hotel was like most other 'fancy' Chinese hotels -- lots of fake gold and marble, but it was OK. But the location was superb.

Would definitely second the recommendation to be on the lake itself. Going for early morning/ evening walks are wonderful, and the traffic in HZ is pretty terrible, as is getting a cab in peak hours.

tb
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:18 pm

Where would you guys stay between the JW Marriott, the Midtown Shangri La, or the Sheraton Xixi Wetlands?

I usually stay at the Hyatt Regency but that's not an option this time. Done West Lake a couple of times...

I was leaning towards the Sheraton but can't make up my mind if the Wetlands Park is worth visiting or not? If not, the Marriott or Shangri La seem to have a more convenient location in terms of local restaurants.

Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
What about the Holiday Inn? Reasonable hotel, western, and about 30 minutes walk to the West Lake.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ardecos
What about the Holiday Inn? Reasonable hotel, western, and about 30 minutes walk to the West Lake.
Sorry, those are the only three options - I'm going for a conference.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
All -
There doesn't seem to be a Hangzhou hotel thread so I'll ask here: Are the "on the lake" suggestions still the consensus recommendations? New to Hangzhou but not to China. I like to walk around take in a city and eat cart-type food. The food streets seem a bit up/north of the lake. I'm also not looking to spend all that much on a hotel since I'll primarily be sleeping there. Poijnts/status with a few western chains. Is the Marriott and/or Courtyard too far away?

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Cheers
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:28 pm

Yes Yes Yes. You want to be able to walk out of your hotel and start strolling around the lake. Remember, it can be a very long stroll, several hours, especially if you include the spacious parklands at the far side of the lake.

For food around the lake, Lou Wai Lou is famous and delicious. Beggar's Chicken and Sweet-Sour West Lake Fish are the classics. I've never come across a place I really like up around the food street.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:38 pm

I second staying on the lake.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
We stay at The National Hotel, it is right on West Lake.,

They have a great free breakfast, and the boat takes us out to dinner on the lake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.