Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Craziest Things Witnessed in China

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Craziest Things Witnessed in China

This thread is only for fun. So don't get all up in arms please.

For me personally it was a man riding a motorscooter, talking on the phone, smoking a cigarette, AND holding a ladder.

This one is pretty darn close.

http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2013/0...-riding-moped/
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mnredfox
This thread is only for fun. So don't get all up in arms please.

For me personally it was a man riding a motorscooter, talking on the phone, smoking a cigarette, AND holding a ladder.

This one is pretty darn close.

http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2013/0...-riding-moped/
During the summer that the World Cup was in Japan and Korea, I associated with a pretty crazy crew, which included a bookie named Little Bird. Every Saturday night, Little Bird rented the presidential suite in the Great Wall Sheraton and invited everyone under the sun over to hang out (movie stars, punk bands, even party officials). The hotel didn't care about inevitable damages because Little Bird always paid up upon check out.

She was really rolling in money because betting on China was heavy, and they lost every single game... but, she went down hard on one particular game and was so angry that she ended up hurling the TV out the window. Fortunately, no one was injured (or worse), but she did manage to silence the room.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:32 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
In a bathroom at KTV and attendant comes up from behind, while I was utilizing the facilities, and starts a back massage.

Wrote about this here several years ago. Apparently its not common, but also not uncommon.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Was in a 4th level city bus, grand mother realized that the child needed to do a number 2.

Dropped the pants, dropped the window - stuck child's rear out of the window and the child did his "job".

No one batted an eye, no one complained - it was like it was common practise.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:26 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Was in a 4th level city bus, grand mother realized that the child needed to do a number 2.

Dropped the pants, dropped the window - stuck child's rear out of the window and the child did his "job".

When I visited Nanjing back in 2011 (first trip to China), I saw a mother help her kid take a dump on the street. First time I ever saw that in my life. I guess nowadays whenever I'm in China for vacation, I'll always look at where I step.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck
When I visited Nanjing back in 2011 (first trip to China), I saw a mother help her kid take a dump on the street. First time I ever saw that in my life. I guess nowadays whenever I'm in China for vacation, I'll always look at where I step.
Yes and some people photograph it.
http://m.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/lightbox
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:59 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Sadly, it happens in 1st tier cities too.

http://shanghaiist.com/2012/12/20/wa...bway_platf.php
http://shanghaiist.com/2013/08/23/ch...ghai_metro.php
http://shanghaiist.com/2013/09/07/ba...to_nanjing.php
http://shanghaiist.com/2013/05/21/sh...y_platform.php
http://shanghaiist.com/2013/03/01/te...ro_station.php

And I guess when in Rome....
http://shanghaiist.com/2013/03/26/ou...ai_highway.php
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:29 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
It's not that the child was dumping in public was surprising.

It was the fact we were on a public bus, grandma just opened the window and stuck the kids butt out of the window.

If there was a car or a scooter driving by, they would literally had been dumped on.

Going to the washroom in public is not even surprising or crazy anymore. It's too common.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Going to the washroom in public is not even surprising or crazy anymore. It's too common.
Unfortunately.... doesn't seem to be a mindset that will change soon. I read some local reactions to the fight that broke out on Shanghai on the peeing/pooping child, and most thought it was not a problem, just a child after all, and that one should be more tolerant. Blamed the guy for instigating a fight over such a trivial matter.

That's when I pretty much gave up on this topic altogether! It is what it is.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:44 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Talking

You know mate - If it's a million to one chance of ever happening, it happens 1,359 times everyday in China.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by davistev
You know mate - If it's a million to one chance of ever happening, it happens 1,359 times everyday in China.
Excellent point.

Hopefully this thread will not focus only on toilet habits. I do have an anecdote in a completely unrelated vein....happened about 7-8 years ago in Beijing.

I was walking down Chang'An Boulevard towards Wangfujing, between 2nd Ring Road and International Hotel, on a remarkably deserted sidewalk for such a fine fall day, when a cyclist in the bike lane passed me, quite normal. Up ahead was one of Beijing's fine Street Sweeper Ladies (SSL) keeping this section of the bike lane clean, raking fallen leaves into a series of little piles, spaced about 20 meters apart. Well, the cyclist thought it was fun to slalom around and through the little piles, scattering leaves a bit. Our SSL was not amused, and as he slowly passed by her, she took the opportunity to reach out and give him a shove, sending him and bike off-balance and crashing to the pavement. He got up, left bike on the pavement, and starting aiming punches at her. Which didn't work too well since she had the broom and started bopping him with it in a fury. Some dodging and weaving went on, he heaved her metal dustpan over into the lawn of the nearby building, being chased and bopped all the time. He finally picked up his bike and started holding it up as a shield between himself and angry SSL. This little impromptu martial arts display went on for a good 10 minutes. Of course I had to stop and watch the show, which ended when the cyclist decided he was getting the losing end and used the bike as an escape vehicle.

The weird thing about it was, not a word or yell passed between them. It was a completely wordless, soundless drama except for the clunks, thuds, and bangs of blows being landed.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by davistev
I think you numbers are way too low, mate!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by tentseller
I think you numbers are way too low, mate!
1359 x 1, 000, 000 = 1, 359, 000, 000 . I think the numbers are correct.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
We first went to china in 2000. Our children were teenagers we went to a restaurant having a nice dinner and a snake was brought out for the next table to make snake soup. After the table approved the snake was slit and The gentleman were very happy with their dinner, but my son didnt eat a thing for the next couple of days. He wouldn't even go to the macdonalds. food is always an adventure while traveling.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
We first went to china in 2000. Our children were teenagers we went to a restaurant having a nice dinner and a snake was brought out for the next table to make snake soup. After the table approved the snake was slit and The gentleman were very happy with their dinner, but my son didnt eat a thing for the next couple of days. He wouldn't even go to the macdonalds. food is always an adventure while traveling.

Cheers!
I think I was the "gentleman".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.