Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Chengdu to offer 72-hour visa-free policy on Sept 1

Chengdu to offer 72-hour visa-free policy on Sept 1

Old Aug 30, 13, 4:08 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Programs: UA 2P, HY Diamond
Posts: 232
Chengdu to offer 72-hour visa-free policy on Sept 1

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/ch..._132673216.htm

With three days to spend in Chengdu, reserve one day for the pandas and two for local culture and food, Mei Jia suggests.

Known as the hometown of the panda and hotpot, Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan province, will enact a 72-hour visa-free policy on Sept 1 for visitors from 45 countries.

Those transit passengers holding valid visas and a flight ticket to a third country will be allowed to travel in the city and the regions under the municipal government, making Chengdu the country's fourth city to open up such convenient three-day stops for foreigners.
efox is offline  
Old Aug 30, 13, 6:45 pm
  #2  
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: https://society6.com/travelator
Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Posts: 5,830
Ah yes, so next year I'll be able to do SFO-CTU-AUH, if that's how I want it.

I wonder what the international transit passenger numbers are like for Chengdu. Sure, it's a CA hub, but it's not necessarily on the way to somewhere that doesn't already have a non-stop from say, Europe. Perhaps somewhere-CTU-KTM (Kathmandu), but I like widebodies, so going even further out of the way to Southeast Asia to fly one to Nepal is fine too.
BuildingMyBento is offline  
Old Aug 30, 13, 9:03 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,295
Panda Rules!
tentseller is offline  
Old Sep 1, 13, 7:34 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 34,044
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
Ah yes, so next year I'll be able to do SFO-CTU-AUH, if that's how I want it.

I wonder what the international transit passenger numbers are like for Chengdu. Sure, it's a CA hub, but it's not necessarily on the way to somewhere that doesn't already have a non-stop from say, Europe. Perhaps somewhere-CTU-KTM (Kathmandu), but I like widebodies, so going even further out of the way to Southeast Asia to fly one to Nepal is fine too.
I think CTU needs more than SFO/LHR flights in order to achieve critical mass. But, if I'm flying between SFO and SE Asia, I would certainly choose to route via CTU over HKG, PEK, PVG, NRT, or ICN.
moondog is online now  
Old Sep 1, 13, 10:27 pm
  #5  
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: https://society6.com/travelator
Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Posts: 5,830
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I think CTU needs more than SFO/LHR flights in order to achieve critical mass. But, if I'm flying between SFO and SE Asia, I would certainly choose to route via CTU over HKG, PEK, PVG, NRT, or ICN.
I was being facetious. Also, I like widebodies, so flying through CTU to get to SE Asia there's a lower likelihood in getting one-glad to be proven wrong on that case, though.

Moreover, even though you and I can get by in Chinese, English isn't as prevalent as in PEK or SHA, so that might deter some. Though, Chengdu is rather compact by Chinese standards, which is a plus.

At the end of the day, I can't say joining the daily scrum that is flying in China is worth routing through, but TWOV is clearly a good idea for those, both travelers and immigration officials alike, that are aware of it.
BuildingMyBento is offline  
Old Sep 1, 13, 10:33 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 34,044
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
I was being facetious. Also, I like widebodies, so flying through CTU to get to SE Asia there's a lower likelihood in getting one-glad to be proven wrong on that case, though.

Moreover, even though you and I can get by in Chinese, English isn't as prevalent as in PEK or SHA, so that might deter some. Though, Chengdu is rather compact by Chinese standards, which is a plus.

At the end of the day, I can't say joining the daily scrum that is flying in China is worth routing through, but TWOV is clearly a good idea for those, both travelers and immigration officials alike, that are aware of it.
I will withhold judgement until I try it, but I CTU is nothing like PEK or PVG. Furthermore, it is close enough to places like VN and Laos that one doesn't need a wide body to be happy. I think building CTU into a hub is a really smart idea, and I'm glad they got their 72-hour TWOV to help them out.
moondog is online now  
Old Sep 2, 13, 2:31 am
  #7  
Ambassador, China
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southeast USA and Beijing
Programs: various
Posts: 6,710
Chengdu is a great place for a 72-hour TWOV allowance, as there's quite a bit to do in the city, and there are a goodly number of daytrips that one can do and return at end of day to a Chengdu hotel to stay within the bounds of the regulation. Of China's big cities, one of my favorites. Now what we need are more intl-to-intl flight options at CTU.
jiejie is offline  
Old Sep 8, 13, 1:16 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DEN
Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 17,271
Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
Chengdu is a great place for a 72-hour TWOV allowance, as there's quite a bit to do in the city, and there are a goodly number of daytrips that one can do and return at end of day to a Chengdu hotel to stay within the bounds of the regulation. Of China's big cities, one of my favorites. Now what we need are more intl-to-intl flight options at CTU.
+1, except how many international flights transit through CTU?
mnredfox is offline  
Old Sep 8, 13, 1:27 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 34,044
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
+1, except how many international flights transit through CTU?
Well, you're getting your SFO flight next June, plus BA from LHR, and maybe KL or LH from AMS/FRA.

Beyond that, you have HKG, TYO, ICN, and many places in SE/S Asia. There will surely be code shares as soon as the long haul flights launch.

I initially thought this idea was insane, but it's starting to make sense to me now.
moondog is online now  
Old Sep 8, 13, 10:28 am
  #10  
Ambassador, China
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southeast USA and Beijing
Programs: various
Posts: 6,710
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
+1, except how many international flights transit through CTU?
For the Chinese carriers on own metal, CTU nonstops AFAIK:
CA: FRA, SIN, HKG, TPE, KTM, BOM, BLR, KHI
MU: HKT, KBV, BKI, CJU, HIJ (interesting collection, some of these are seasonal)
3U (Sichuan): TSA, MEL, also has YVR via Shenyang but unclear if this is set up to bypass SHE Immigration and therefore qualify for 72 hour TWOV. Also HKT and seasonally, MLE.
CZ is notably lacking in the nonstop internationals out of CTU on own metal.

On foreign carriers Chengdu to East Asia: NRT, ICN, TPE, HKG, MFM
to SE Asia: SIN, KUL, BKK, HAN
elsewhere: AUH, MLE, AMS

So there are a few interesting possibilities right now and hopefully more in the not-too-distant future.
jiejie is offline  
Old Sep 8, 13, 11:11 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 34,044
Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
For the Chinese carriers on own metal, CTU nonstops AFAIK:
CA: FRA, SIN, HKG, TPE, KTM, BOM, BLR, KHI
MU: HKT, KBV, BKI, CJU, HIJ (interesting collection, some of these are seasonal)
3U (Sichuan): TSA, MEL, also has YVR via Shenyang but unclear if this is set up to bypass SHE Immigration and therefore qualify for 72 hour TWOV. Also HKT and seasonally, MLE.
CZ is notably lacking in the nonstop internationals out of CTU on own metal.

On foreign carriers Chengdu to East Asia: NRT, ICN, TPE, HKG, MFM
to SE Asia: SIN, KUL, BKK, HAN
elsewhere: AUH, MLE, AMS

So there are a few interesting possibilities right now and hopefully more in the not-too-distant future.
I'm nearly certain that the HIJ flight is a tag onto the PVG-HIJ route (therefore, no 72 hour TWOV) because I fly to HIJ pretty often, and thus have a good feel for the extent of its international operations (minimal to say the least).
moondog is online now  
Old Sep 8, 13, 12:45 pm
  #12  
Ambassador, China
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southeast USA and Beijing
Programs: various
Posts: 6,710
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I'm nearly certain that the HIJ flight is a tag onto the PVG-HIJ route (therefore, no 72 hour TWOV) because I fly to HIJ pretty often, and thus have a good feel for the extent of its international operations (minimal to say the least).
I'll defer to your superior knowledge on this route, but I could have sworn that there was a nonstop option listed from CTU at least on some days and/or certain times of year. Which I admit struck me as an odd intl city-pair link, though I know zilch about business and industry in Hiroshima and what might be a reason for any linkage with Chengdu.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that in the future, we want more international options in/out of Chengdu!
jiejie is offline  
Old Sep 8, 13, 3:44 pm
  #13  
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: https://society6.com/travelator
Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Posts: 5,830
Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
For the Chinese carriers on own metal, CTU nonstops AFAIK:
CA: FRA, SIN, HKG, TPE, KTM, BOM, BLR, KHI
MU: HKT, KBV, BKI, CJU, HIJ (interesting collection, some of these are seasonal)
3U (Sichuan): TSA, MEL, also has YVR via Shenyang but unclear if this is set up to bypass SHE Immigration and therefore qualify for 72 hour TWOV. Also HKT and seasonally, MLE.
CZ is notably lacking in the nonstop internationals out of CTU on own metal.

On foreign carriers Chengdu to East Asia: NRT, ICN, TPE, HKG, MFM
to SE Asia: SIN, KUL, BKK, HAN
elsewhere: AUH, MLE, AMS

So there are a few interesting possibilities right now and hopefully more in the not-too-distant future.
I don't know if CZ is notably lacking since they've got URC, CAN and even PEK, among others, to toy with. It's a CA and 3U base, of that there is no doubt.
BuildingMyBento is offline  
Old Sep 8, 13, 8:29 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,295
Let see who is the first to "copy" the BR "Hello Kitty" with Pandas?
tentseller is offline  
Old Sep 12, 13, 3:41 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 1,022
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
Let see who is the first to "copy" the BR "Hello Kitty" with Pandas?
AC already have aircraft decorated with pandas.
sl1ppy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: