FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Getting a Chinese Drivers License (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1395674-getting-chinese-drivers-license.html)

trueblu Oct 27, 2012 8:17 am

Originally Posted by carbacca (Post 19574828)
i just did the test here
http://jxks.jxedt.com/exam/exam.asp?type=c#Bottom

got 80/100, i guess just have to keep working on it...yes some of the questions are pretty out of the leftfield. and now i know that you can drive 120 on the highways.....

You can't rely on being a competent driver to pass the test: you need to memorise the questions. I did a few practice tests before my test, and could never score above 80%. So I spent a day or two memorising the 1500 or so questions, and got it over and done with. Have no idea what the actual driving laws in China are, but that's not the point...

tb

pushmyredbutton Nov 15, 2012 7:50 am

Just an update of my semi-fail of trying to get my license:

Did all this in Hangzhou
Got my US DL translated at Police Station
Had my Temp Residence Permit from Police
Had passport and US DL with L visa, 12 month multiple, 60 day stay

Go to room doing foreign licenses, everything seemed fine, until they input Visa information into system and they say cannot do it with 60 day stay, only 90+.

They said even if they do it for me, it will get kicked back at the next stage. Not sure if its a new thing or not, but they seemed like their hands were tied.

So had to resort to going to traffic police station to get temporary DL. Had to get health check and they did the license for 10rmb.

Only catch is, it's only good til the end of your current stay. So I only have 45 more days til I must leave and renter, so my temp DL expires in 45 days. Looks like I'll have to get a new one everytime.

Last data point, when I got denied, they said if I have any 90+day stay visa, I can get 6 year perm license.

payam81 Jul 21, 2013 9:27 am

Originally Posted by code808 (Post 19566211)
The worst city for driving - DALIAN - hands down. You take your life in your hands crossing the street with the green light in your favor, crosswalks are a joke, the sidewalk is unsafe as cars drive on it honking at pedestrians - NEVER stopping, and totally clueless, it is unheard of for a driver to actually look in the rear view mirror before backing up. ...just a few of the risks .... actually too many to list completely. Good Luck!

A good driver can actually adapt to any situation. Lousy drivers, well, not so.

It's actually funny in a few years of being in DLC, I've seen maybe a handful of accidents which are usually fender benders and such. Reason being, drivers are actually skilled here and have 360 situational awareness, even if they don't seem 'civilized' to the average western joe.

Of course there are some reckless and yuppie drivers who have zero consideration for others but all in, it's not really as exaggerated as you make it out with "crosswalks being a joke" etc. as even the most reckless of the cabbies I've taken obey the traffic signals.

Another point, here in Dalian I've noticed friends and colleagues are dead serious about ZERO alcohol if they drive! Compare that to 'back home' where a drink or two are both legally and socially accepted. How's that for civilized driving?

jiejie Jul 21, 2013 11:57 am

Originally Posted by vforni (Post 19687716)
Go to room doing foreign licenses, everything seemed fine, until they input Visa information into system and they say cannot do it with 60 day stay, only 90+.

Yes, This 90+ day duration of stay requirement seems to be applicable everywhere in China as a precondition for completing a temporary drivers license.

Originally Posted by payam81 (Post 21133614)
Another point, here in Dalian I've noticed friends and colleagues are dead serious about ZERO alcohol if they drive! Compare that to 'back home' where a drink or two are both legally and socially accepted. How's that for civilized driving?

There are many countries with an zero tolerance policy for alcohol while driving. China is one of them. There are often Friday and Saturday night police checkpoints at major intersections (near party areas) in major cities, stopping all private passenger cars in a quest for drivers who have been drinking--even if not "drunk".

Loren Pechtel Jul 21, 2013 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie (Post 21134292)
Yes, This 90+ day duration of stay requirement seems to be applicable everywhere in China as a precondition for completing a temporary drivers license.

There are many countries with an zero tolerance policy for alcohol while driving. China is one of them. There are often Friday and Saturday night police checkpoints at major intersections (near party areas) in major cities, stopping all private passenger cars in a quest for drivers who have been drinking--even if not "drunk".

But what's it like after a ticket?

I know a guy who got a DUI over there, a bit of money to the cops and it went away.

payam81 Jul 22, 2013 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 21136478)
But what's it like after a ticket?

I know a guy who got a DUI over there, a bit of money to the cops and it went away.

When was this, during Jiang Zemin?!

Loren Pechtel Jul 22, 2013 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by payam81 (Post 21137291)
When was this, during Jiang Zemin?!

I don't remember. Probably the mid 2000s.

payam81 Jul 22, 2013 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 21140064)
I don't remember. Probably the mid 2000s.

I say so cause I know DUI enforcement has drastically changed in the past few years. It's not likely to be able to get away with it so simply these days.

anacapamalibu Jul 23, 2013 12:42 am

Originally Posted by payam81 (Post 21141444)
I say so cause I know DUI enforcement has drastically changed in the past few years. It's not likely to be able to get away with it so simply these days.

Looks like they amended the law that drunk driving is a crime.
Previously if there was no accident or damage, it wasn't a crime to drive drunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEkZg...e_gdata_player

payam81 Jul 23, 2013 1:56 am

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu (Post 21142847)
Looks like they amended the law that drunk driving is a crime.
Previously if there was no accident or damage, it wasn't a crime to drive drunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEkZg...e_gdata_player

In fact these days DUI is so serious that even if you're riding a bicycle and get in to an accident, you'll be criminally investigated even if not at fault. No matter how 'uncivilized' Chinese appear to drive in the eyes of westerners, their approach to DUI is far far ahead of places like States and Canada, both socially and legally.

jiejie Jul 23, 2013 10:58 am

I agree that paying off cops to look the other way on a DUI is still possible but far less likely than it used to be in most major cities....unless the driver is a son of a Party official or local business boss. It also adds a large number of penalty points against the license.

pushmyredbutton Aug 7, 2013 6:20 am

1 Attachment(s)
BTW, after getting many of the "temporary" licenses, I actually find them useful, as no one seems to know what to do with them.

They have no identifiable info on them other than passport #, and the hassle of reapplying every 60 days, they do the trick. Also good since if you apply traffic points to them, they expire after 60 days. (red light cameras :mad:)

Since I have a 90 day visa again I may just go the permanent route.

Edit: Re-adding original image

anacapamalibu Aug 7, 2013 11:03 am

Originally Posted by vforni (Post 21229382)
BTW, after getting many of the "temporary" licenses, I actually find them useful, as no one seems to know what to do with them.

They have no identifiable info on them other than passport #, and the hassle of reapplying every 60 days, they do the trick. Also good since if you apply traffic points to them, they expire after 60 days. (red light cameras :mad:)

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/7397/z7vp.jpg

Interesting name 傅予 " Fu Yu" :p

tentseller Aug 7, 2013 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by vforni (Post 21229382)

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/7397/z7vp.jpg

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu (Post 21231009)
Interesting name 傅予 " Fu Yu" :p

I think there is a hidden message in there! :p:p

uanj Aug 7, 2013 1:09 pm

+1!

How did you get your Chinese name on that? I have had nothing but problems when using my Chinese name (which was picked up from my HK ID card) since it is not on my passport.

This reads more like an endorsement of an international driver's license....