Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Getting a Chinese Drivers License

Getting a Chinese Drivers License

Old Sep 14, 19, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
Well who here (other than myself, trueblu, and you) has actually gone through the whole process of getting a real (i.e. non provisional) license? I'm really surprised that so few people have done it, and that those who actually have lived in China either never got a ticket or never fought a ticket before. Of course if you're driving without the proper documentation, you're not going to fight a ticket because that would be admitting that you were driving illegally, so...
I've had mine for years and renewed it for 10 years a couple of years back. How do you know so few people have done it? Most expats that I know have their license.

The process was described in the first page of this thread. It is also possible to hire an agency who will take care of everything for you so you just need to show up for the exam.
STS-134 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 9:32 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JPDM View Post
I've had mine for years and renewed it for 10 years a couple of years back. How do you know so few people have done it? Most expats that I know have their license.
Well a lot of them never chimed in to this thread.

Originally Posted by JPDM View Post
The process was described in the first page of this thread. It is also possible to hire an agency who will take care of everything for you so you just need to show up for the exam.
There's far more discussion about how to get a temporary/provisional license in the early parts of this thread than about getting a real one though. And nobody mentioned any specific apps they used to study for the test until I did.

Also, another interesting thing that happened during the test: I intended to go through all 100 questions first, then go back and double check them all to make sure I didn't make any stupid mistakes (I was almost sure I'd pass, but I didn't want my wife getting a higher score than I did , and we also had only one shot to do this on a Friday because we were leaving on Sunday) After finishing the test, I only got to double checking question #15-20 and some guy (the exam proctor) comes up to me and he wanted me to submit my answers. I am not sure if they have the ability to monitor what answers you've selected in real time, before you even submit them, but if they didn't, how would he even know I was finished?
Old Sep 16, 19, 1:31 am

The world keeps getting more connected. It used to be that violations in one US state didn't get reported in your home state. Now there's a thing called the driver license compact, where violations in one state which is a member of it are shared with the home state, if also a member. And some states like New York have agreements with Canadian provinces to share violation info. I expect that eventually, we may even see international agreements so keeping a clean record abroad will become key to keeping a clean record at home (and keeping your insurance rates down). And with all the talk recently about social credit scores, who knows how your driving record affects that, but it really is in everyone's best interest to keep his/her record clean.
Yes when I first started driving in China any photo violations across provincial lines could just be ignored and they often expired after a year or two. Alas these days not only will they get you wherever you are in China you will also lose points.
Old Sep 16, 19, 1:36 am

Anyway, I'm still unclear about which category a ticket with a clear picture of the license plate but without the people processing it being able to identify the driver falls into. In California and Arizona, it gets dismissed by default. Since these tickets count for points, they have to be able to identify the driver; otherwise, they cannot issue the ticket. Agencies or courts will sometimes ask the vehicle owner to tell them who was driving, and if you tell them, well, you're an idiot. In other states, it literally doesn't matter, since the owner always gets stuck with the bill, and they don't need to ID the driver because there are no points (only exception is if the vehicle was stolen or sold, in which case, there should be a police report or a title release filed with DMV). In China? Not sure. Is it possible that it varies by province or even by city? It's always possible that in such a case, the owner literally doesn't remember who was driving (perhaps he/she lent the car to multiple people that week, or a group of friends, or his/her spouse lent it to others, etc), but knows it wasn't him/her self.
It does vary by province but in Shanghai, you cannot pay the fine without the driver showing up and losing points. IOW you'll lose your registration if you can't find the driver (or a driver).

Search this Thread