Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

24 hours in PVG with wife, what should we see?

Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Have 24 hours in pvg on christmas eve and christmas, what should we try and see or do? What is the best thing to do with such limited time?

Last edited by mrclshppn; Aug 20, 2012 at 2:13 pm Reason: error in city
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
I just love wandering about the city. Must see - The Bund, Old French Concession, Yuyuan Garden, take a river cruise and try all sorts of food. That's enough for 24 hours.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by salfcl
I just love wandering about the city. Must see - The Bund, Old French Concession, Yuyuan Garden, take a river cruise and try all sorts of food. That's enough for 24 hours.
Thanks, my wife thinks we will only have 8 hours free now, due to job requirements, is there one thing of those above (other than food) that you would do with that amount of time. Thanks for the great ideas.

Last edited by mrclshppn; Aug 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm Reason: sp
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:05 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT China Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mrclshppn
Thanks, my wife thinks we will only have 8 hours free now, due to job requirements, is there one thing of those above (other than food) that you would do with that amount of time. Thanks for the great ideas.
In that case, I would probably just stick to the French Concession with a quick stop at a Bund venue.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have 24 hours in pvg on christmas eve and christmas, what should we try and see or do? What is the best thing to do with such limited time?
Check out either "Smart Shanghai" or "Shanghaiist", etc. expat focused sites for some over the top Xmas parties in SHA.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HowieG
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Check out either "Smart Shanghai" or "Shanghaiist", etc. expat focused sites for some over the top Xmas parties in SHA.
Will definitely check them out, any other suggestions out there?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:09 am

Will definitely check them out, any other suggestions out there?
Mint would probably be worth a look-see, but not with only 2 people.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Century Park is great.

Jing'an Temple. On line 2 a few stops west of People's Square.

Xin Tian Di. One stop south of People's Square on line 1.

Another vote for the French Concession (Hengshan Rd exit on line 1, south of People's Square) and Yu Garden (take a taxi - tricky to find - have the concierge at the hotel write the request for the driver). I wouldn't take the River Cruise - takes too much time. Just go to the park on the Puxi side (where Nanjing Rd hits the Bund), then take the metro to the Pudong side and go to the park over there.

Warning: don't fall for the 'art school' or 'tea/coffee shop' scams - young people on Nanjing Rd and around People's Square approach you and talk you into going with them, where you and some of your money will be separated.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:50 pm

Whatever you do, don't forget to end the day with a foot massage!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace
I wouldn't take the River Cruise - takes too much time. Just go to the park on the Puxi side (where Nanjing Rd hits the Bund), then take the metro to the Pudong side and go to the park over there.
From the Bund, there are two quick and easy ways to cross the river, and the subway isn't one of them:

1) Bund Sight Seeing Tunnel
-overpriced at y30 pp, and totally pointless, but it goes from the center of the Bund directly to Lujiazui in about 2.5 minutes

2) One of the public boats
-similar to the Star Ferry in HK, though with substantially less charm
-most of the ones I can recall drop off at the south end of the Binjiang Park in Lujiazui (which isn't super convenient), but I actually walking along the east bank of the river (more than the Bund) when the weather is nice

Other than that, I'm not sure the OP should waste any of his precious Shanghai 8 hours in Pudong given that Puxi has so much more to offer.

Last edited by moondog; Sep 20, 2012 at 7:35 am
Old Sep 14, 2012, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moondog
From the Bund, there are two quick and easy ways to cross the river, and the subway isn't one of them:

1) Bund Sight Seeing Tunnel
-overpriced at y30 pp, and totally pointless, but it does from the center of the Bund directly to Lujiazui in about 2.5 minutes

2) One of the public boats
-similar to the Star Ferry in HK, though with substantially less charm
-most of the ones I can recall drop off at the south end of the Binjiang Park in Lujiazui (which isn't super convenient), but I actually walking along the east bank of the river (more than the Bund) when the weather is nice

Other than that, I'm not sure the OP should waste any of his precious Shanghai 8 hours in Pudong given that Puxi has so much more to offer.
Superbrand mall and WFC? Agree Puxi is better though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.