Wiki Posts
Search

Clear Chinese immigration at Cheng-Du or Shang-Hai

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Clear Chinese immigration at Cheng-Du or Shang-Hai

If I were to fly Chengdu--Shanghai(PVG)--NRT one way on the same day on one ticket,

1. Do I clear Chinese immigration when leaving Chengdu or when I leave the country at Shsnghai?

2. Do I check my luggage all the way or if I have to reclaim my luggage at Shanghai and recheck in my luggage at Shanghai?

If it would help, Chengdu-PVG is on Air China; PVG-NRT is on ANA Japan airline all on one *A award ticket.

My plan is to dump/skip the last leg PVG-NRT so that I can use my other ticket to go PVG-LAX. Will it work if I have checked bag?

I figure the worst case is that I will just have carry on and so I can skip the last leg at PVG. Do you think that is the only way I can do this?

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2012, 3:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lax2010
If I were to fly Chengdu--Shanghai(PVG)--NRT one way on the same day on one ticket,

1. Do I clear Chinese immigration when leaving Chengdu or when I leave the country at Shsnghai?

2. Do I check my luggage all the way or if I have to reclaim my luggage at Shanghai and recheck in my luggage at Shanghai?

If it would help, Chengdu-PVG is on Air China; PVG-NRT is on ANA Japan airline all on one *A award ticket.

My plan is to dump/skip the last leg PVG-NRT so that I can use my other ticket to go PVG-LAX. Will it work if I have checked bag?

I figure the worst case is that I will just have carry on and so I can skip the last leg at PVG. Do you think that is the only way I can do this?

Thanks!
Be prepared to short check your bags to Shanghai (CA probably won't give a rat's behind about your plan to skip your NH flight, but there's no point in confusing them.... well, if you get a really cool agent, maybe you could at least test the waters). In this case, you would clear customs in Shanghai. Border control will happen in Shanghai regardless of how you tackle the baggage issue.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: various
Shouldn't be a problem. Just keep mum about your plans and tell them check the bag only to Shanghai for you to pick up and then recheck with ANA. If they look puzzled, tell them you have things in the bag to take out and give to a Shanghai friend meeting you, before you "head onward to Japan." That tale usually works great. Since a pick-up and recheck by you directly with ANA makes luggage responsibility now ANA's not CA's, CA shouldn't have any issues with short-checking.

Immigration is definitely going to be at PVG.

Just make sure your connection time at PVG is adequate to make it to your other ticketed PVG-LAX flight, and don't forget to allow for possible inbound delays on the incoming from CTU.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Thanks to jiejie and moondog for your replies even though circumstances change and I will no longer fly with the original itinerary thought about in my OP. One of the reasons is that I couldn't get the NH/ANA award ticket priced out online with the new UA SHARES-based reservation system!

Again, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.