Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Beijing taxis and car services

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I completely struck out last night... walked all the way from SLT to Yonganli before finally resorting to the subway (dreaded Line 1 to Line 10 transfer); not a single open taxi in site the entire way, and intense competition throughout. One 黑车 did stop to offer his services early on, but I couldn't get him to go below y50 for a ride that would have otherwise cost y16. If the weather had been bad, I would have taken him up on his extortionate offer.
Is this why Line 10 broke down last night?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: various
I completely struck out last night... walked all the way from SLT to Yonganli before finally resorting to the subway (dreaded Line 1 to Line 10 transfer); not a single open taxi in site the entire way, and intense competition throughout. One 黑车 did stop to offer his services early on, but I couldn't get him to go below y50 for a ride that would have otherwise cost y16. If the weather had been bad, I would have taken him up on his extortionate offer.

This was actually the second time I've been burned by walking south on Gongti East Road (and whatever that same street is called as it passes through the CBD), but in the other case, I did eventually procure a taxi after 10 minutes of walking. Looking on the bright side, I've been saving money, and getting exercise.

In situations like these, the Beijing bus system is your best friend. In the last 6 months I have developed a deep respect for the availability and reliability of the buses--not to mention the 4 mao price! ^

Originally Posted by tauphi
Is this why Line 10 broke down last night?
Power failure and right during rush hour. Might have been why the normally awful taxi situation at this time was even more hopeless.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 3:06 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by jiejie
In situations like these, the Beijing bus system is your best friend. In the last 6 months I have developed a deep respect for the availability and reliability of the buses--not to mention the 4 mao price! ^
Yep! I have all the bus numbers that stop on the streets bordering my place entered on my BB so I know what I can hop on in a pinch. Just last night I decided to take the bus back from WFJ vs Line 1 because the bus would take me closer to my apt than the metro. Didn't even bother trying to get a taxi from WFJ - better just to go with the sure thing
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
I met the car service guys again yesterday, and am able to offer a few more details (most of which are spelled out on their weibo):

-they are currently a car rental company erjiayi.cn (2+1), and have been operational for 1.5 years
-on February 28, they are switching over to this new model
-100 cars; Camry is best, small Chevy is the worst
-the ONLY way to book a car in the short term is with their iPhone app
-the app displays available cars that are near you; you can touch the car icon to find out what kind of car it is and rate information; then you shake your phone to summon the car
-payment by (Chinese) credit card or cash
-pricing is per minute, and about 20% more than taxis in most cases
-the cars will prowl areas with the highest demand (e.g. CBD, Jianguomen, Sanlitun)
-the service is completely free on March 1
I will have an iphone with me, but how do I find this app (with no ability to read Mandarin)? Their website doesn't translate and has no english option. Any ideas? Thanks for all your help!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:43 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by PHX_SOUS
I will have an iphone with me, but how do I find this app (with no ability to read Mandarin)? Their website doesn't translate and has no english option. Any ideas? Thanks for all your help!
Other than learn Chinese or get help from a someone who reads Chinese,
I have no idea. Not foreigner friendly.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHX_SOUS
Since I don't have an iPhone, I haven't had an opportunity to play with the app since it went live (yesterday), but based on the demos I witnessed, a person with almost no knowledge of Chinese could navigate through the booking process (1 touch car icon and 2 shake phone).
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Will one of our iphone toting FTers please try this out tomorrow when it is free? I'm most interested in hearing a report.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Other than learn Chinese or get help from a someone who reads Chinese,
I have no idea. Not foreigner friendly.
True, but to me this is the charm of China.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:32 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by mnredfox
True, but to me this is the charm of China.
I guess charm and frustration have some common trait.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:58 am

We just returned from Mutianyu today. Mrs. slaman and I decided to hire a private car instead of taking a bus tour because the price wasn't that different, and we wanted to bypass all the customary shopping stops. We took the Cable Car up to Tower 14, hiked up past Tower 23 to the unrestored section, then hiked back down to Tower 6 and took the toboggan down. A lot of fun, but very tiring! Near the top, there were very few people, and in the un-restored section past Tower 23, there wasn't anyone...

We decided to go with Simon, who we found from a review on Trip Adviser. He was excellent - his English was pretty decent, and he was extremely friendly. He picked us up at the Hilton Wangfujing hotel at 8AM, and waited for us in the parking lot of Mutianyu about 4 hrs after dropping us off. After the wall, we asked him to recommend a good local restaurant for lunch. He took us to a wonderful, affordable, locals-only restaurant in Mutianyu village...

The cost was 500Y including all tolls and parking. We ended up giving him an extra 100Y for his great service! Simon has been driving for about 6 months, and has a Volkswagen. I give him my utmost recommendation!

He is associated with http://www.joe-service.com, who apparnently is also excellent and has been driving for 5 years.

If you go with Simon, let him know the Canadian couple from Flyertalk sent you!

Mobile: 8613520315006
Email: [email protected]

To those worried about shopping stops from other drivers/tour operators, simply ask the salesman ahead of time... we turned down a Forbidden City tout because he acknowledged a stop at a silk factory.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:40 am

1) Gary
2) 13911680981
3) 2010 Passat (very clean)
4) y600 (all in)

speaks passable English
Hi moondog,

How would I go about booking with Gary please, should i have the hotel contact him directly (I don't speak a word of mandarin unfortunately) ??. Wife and I (and mother in law) looking to go to Mutianyu in the next day or so.

Appreciate any help mate, thank you.

Cheers,
Dave
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Actually, I might be able to use Gary as well on May 7th or 8th. Let me kn ow if he has email or if you can call him. Otherwise I'll ring him once I'm in and get a SIM card.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

This thread should probably be merged into the other one because that's where most chatter about drivers has been taking place.

During recent months, I've been directing pretty much all visitors to my car service friend, Raymond. While his cars are no better than Gary's or Mr. Zhou's, I like the fact that he provides a layer of accountability above the driver (i.e. if the driver no shows, he'll send someone else).
Old May 1, 2012, 3:03 am

This thread should probably be merged into the other one because that's where most chatter about drivers has been taking place.

During recent months, I've been directing pretty much all visitors to my car service friend, Raymond. While his cars are no better than Gary's or Mr. Zhou's, I like the fact that he provides a layer of accountability above the driver (i.e. if the driver no shows, he'll send someone else).
Sorry mate, how can I contact Raymond please? I think I have the worse internet in Wangfujing at the moment, so slow and keeps timing out... I can't even do a search

I used a black taxi tout today to get over the summer palace, I was surprised by the good service and decent price - was a new Buick Lacrosse too
Old May 1, 2012, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phat-dave
Sorry mate, how can I contact Raymond please? I think I have the worse internet in Wangfujing at the moment, so slow and keeps timing out... I can't even do a search

I used a black taxi tout today to get over the summer palace, I was surprised by the good service and decent price - was a new Buick Lacrosse too
dongdashan at (a popular domain that begins with a "G")

He recently recently told me that myself and everyone I've referred to him has been overpaying because we don't use his iPhone app or his 400 number to book. I don't have a link to his iPhone app handy, but if you email him he will send you a link. His 400 number is 4008881661. I've used it a few times when taxis were scarce and the cars really do show up quickly (once I got a Corolla, which is a bit too small for my tastes, but it sure beat walking home). What's more, in spite of the fact that it costs more to book via Raymond, himself, his prices are still quite reasonable (e.g. 600 to Mutianyu, 200 to/from airport in a nice Camry), and he speaks English. I'm sure he would be happy to provide you with his personal cell phone number if you email him and mention that you are a friend of "Eric" (that is me), but just be advised that you are talking to the CEO of a decent sized company (as opposed to a y2,000 per month call center person in Nanning).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.