Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Tune-in latest victim of GFW?

Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum for Life Flying Blue; LH FTL

Since the start of this week "tune-in" internet radio app on my android tablet only shows "asia" as location.
When I try to connect to the Dutch news, it automatically forwards me to local Chinese news

Also the website - www.tunein.com - can only be reached by vpn.

Are we also beijng punished for the recent internet rumours that lead to closing down of Weibo?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: various
Very possibly this is a reaction to the "coup" rumors on Weibo and punishments being handed out to companies. Perhaps the Tune-in block is short term, but my guess is not, that the authorities are shutting down vehicles that might fuel further rumors. But really, anything is fair game for the Net Nannies and one can only speculate about the reasons. Often (but likely not in this specific case) this is the result of GFW minders installing new software and/or new filters on the ISP servers, which tends to happen at least once a year. Since about a year ago, it's become nearly essential for anybody spending reasonable periods of time in the PRC, to have a reliable VPN. Or go insane--your choice.

During my travels around the PRC in the last year, using my own computer, I have determined that the blocking seems to most severe by Chinese ISP's serving Beijing. In cities like Chengdu, Chongqing, Kunming, Nanjing, Nanjing, Guangzhou, etc. I could (VPN turned off) access sites that seemed to be blocked in Beijing. Of course, the facebook, youtube, F@lun G0ng sites are blocked everywhere and required VPN everywhere. Shanghai seems somewhere in the middle. But the flap over the Weibo and QQ microblog comments going on now would be country-wide.

Last edited by jiejie; Apr 5, 2012 at 4:35 pm
Old Apr 5, 2012, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jiejie
But the flap over the Weibo and QQ microblog comments going on now would be country-wide.
Weibo functionality has been fully restored. It was a 4-day penalty, handed down by Big Brother, but implemented by Sina and Tencent. Now, things are back to normal.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I do think that these kind of "internet openness" projects can later be blamed on "foreign devils" who do not understand Chinese mentality and philosophy. And of course not forgetting about their arrogance and stubborn refusal to understand Chinese realities.

At the moment I would much rather see chaps who can build an apartment that is not priced like premium property in Manhattan but with quality straight out of Soviet Union times...Or packaged food that does not kill or harm you...

Or even some Chinese made products that will make the country proud and provide homegrown brands that everyone is longing for.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:35 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by jiejie
. But really, anything is fair game for the Net Nannies and one can only speculate about the reasons. .

Not NetNanny- they stole CyberSitter.

Should be OK now as the computer manufacturing companies paid off the tiny Santa Barbara company Solid Oak and settled the lawsuit that
got them a 2.3 billion dollar default judgement against the Country of China.

Cybersitter v. the People’s Republic of China

China didn't respond to the complaint and U.S. District Judge Josephine Staton Tucker last year granted a motion for entry of default against the country.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.