Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Hotel for Small Group Sightseeing in Shanghai?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, WN

Looking for recommendations for a hotel for a small group sightseeing in Shanghai for 3 nights right at the end of May.

It's a group of 8 MBA students and myself and one other professor. With student double occupancy, it'll be 6 rooms.

The last few years in Shanghai we've stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in Pudong. But those times we were on business visits and the Pudong location was convenient. This time our business visits are in Beijing and the sightseeing is in Shanghai. For additional reference, we stay at the Park Plaza Wangfujiang in Beijing. It works great for both business visits and sightseeing.

The aforementioned Courtyard is $138/night before taxes, so I'd like to keep to that or close.

Any recommendations in other locations? That part of Pudong is so sterile. I'd rather get the students closer to sightseeing, etc.

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sidne
Looking for recommendations for a hotel for a small group sightseeing in Shanghai for 3 nights right at the end of May.

It's a group of 8 MBA students and myself and one other professor. With student double occupancy, it'll be 6 rooms.

The last few years in Shanghai we've stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in Pudong. But those times we were on business visits and the Pudong location was convenient. This time our business visits are in Beijing and the sightseeing is in Shanghai. For additional reference, we stay at the Park Plaza Wangfujiang in Beijing. It works great for both business visits and sightseeing.

The aforementioned Courtyard is $138/night before taxes, so I'd like to keep to that or close.

Any recommendations in other locations? That part of Pudong is so sterile. I'd rather get the students closer to sightseeing, etc.

Thanks!
In Jing'an:

-Shanghai Hotel, Yan'an Hotel (both have nice rooms and really bad rooms; the former are well worth the upcharge)
-the serviced apartments next to the Portman (not Shanghai Centre itself, mind you); I believe they are called something like "Golden Phoenix"
-one of the various 168s or 268s (some are in better locations than others)

In Luwan:

-Jinjiang Hotel (both old and new; new is cheaper)
-Okura Garden (a bit over budget, perhaps)

In Xuhui:

-Regal East Asia
-anything else along Hengshan Rd

Near Zhongshan Park:

-Renaissance (it's been showing up in the mid 700s on marriott.com recently, perhaps because they are renovating their health club)

In Gubei (a bit far out, but I kind of like the area these days):

-Hongqiao Hotel
-Sheraton Hongqiao

In People's Square:

-check ctrip/tripadvisor

Priceline might not be a bad way to go if you do your homework. I usually bid around $85 per night for 4*+ and have found some gems as well as some duds.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:30 pm

Equatorial Hotel Shanghai, centrally located and within your budget.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by sniles
Equatorial Hotel Shanghai, centrally located and within your budget.
Good catch. I should have mentioned that in the Jing'an category. The Hilton, Equatorial, Shanghai Hotel, and Yan'an Hotel are all basically in the same area (and, I have just ranked them from best to worst... worst is still livable).
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:45 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Okura Garden @800rmb/night is a good deal.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Got behind at work trying to make all of the arrangements, but definitely wanted to come back here and let you know how it turned out.

The Renaissance suggestion led me to look at the Renaissance Yu Garden and I ended up booking here. The rate was $153/night + tax. So it was a bit more money, but looks to be in a convenient area for sightseeing.

While I would personally stay at any of the hotels suggested in this thread, it's a bit more problematic when I'm hauling along a bunch of MBA students.

They really don't care about top tier properties (if only I could interest them in spending enough to stay at a Shangri-La!), but when we're in this mid-range, I've found that if I book US (or European) branded hotels, I receive fewer complaints. It might not be entirely fair, but the attitude is often, "Well, x is wrong with the room, but who could have known, it's a Marriott/Hilton/Hyatt/etc...."

And for this I can't really blind bid. If we ended up somewhere the program director or students feel is unacceptable, I'm in trouble.

Years ago, before I had any involvement with the program, the group stayed at a Motel 168. Apparently many of the students were horrified and a few even checked out of the hotel and into a different place on their own dime (even though doing so is against the program agreement). So we at least don't stay at that level any longer...

Thanks again for the assistance!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Ren

Originally Posted by sidne
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Got behind at work trying to make all of the arrangements, but definitely wanted to come back here and let you know how it turned out.

The Renaissance suggestion led me to look at the Renaissance Yu Garden and I ended up booking here. The rate was $153/night + tax. So it was a bit more money, but looks to be in a convenient area for sightseeing.

While I would personally stay at any of the hotels suggested in this thread, it's a bit more problematic when I'm hauling along a bunch of MBA students.
The Renaissance is a mrt brand, & in asia all mrt reward members get free internet. so mention this to your students to get a mrt rewards #.
This Ren in Puxi has a good location, but its not a new Mrt hotel.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:53 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Okura Garden @800rmb/night is a good deal.
One of my family friends who was a trade diplomat in Shanghai for six years always stays there nowadays. Enough reason for me to recommend it as well.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by mosburger
One of my family friends who was a trade diplomat in Shanghai for six years always stays there nowadays. Enough reason for me to recommend it as well.
I dare say that the Okura is better than the OP's choice on all fronts (apart from MR points). The Bund and nearby locales are seriously overrated.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:55 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Okura has a great location. Can walk to see all kinds of places.
Once walked from there to huangpu river.

Its like an oasis of old Shanghai.

http://www.gardenhotelshanghai.com/e.../building.html
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would have suggested Le Royal Meridian but it's generally more expensive. Great location and many rooms have great views.
Old May 16, 2014, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Okura has a great location. Can walk to see all kinds of places.
Once walked from there to huangpu river.

Its like an oasis of old Shanghai.

http://www.gardenhotelshanghai.com/e.../building.html
In looking for other info, I ran across this old thread I started years ago.

Since so many FTers recommended the Okura Garden back then, I thought I would update to say that I did book our group into that hotel last year and we'll be staying there again the first week of June.

If anyone else is thinking about staying there with a U.S. student group, it's a lovely hotel with a great breakfast. The two negatives from a student point of view: the beds are hard (harder than those in a Marriott, but not particularly hard for Asian hotels) and the cheapest rooms don't have wi-fi. Wi-fi is available in the lobby area.

I'd highly recommend it. No problem getting taxis. The subway is quite close and convenient. And the location is great for walking around.

p.s. If anyone has any suggestions for a good company visit for a group of business students from the U.S. in Shanghai on June 5 or 6, let me know. I just had two different visits drop out as our hosts will be traveling.
Old May 17, 2014, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Astor house Hotel on the Bund. Well within the USD100 proce range and a slice of history
Old May 18, 2014, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Astor house Hotel on the Bund. Well within the USD100 proce range and a slice of history
I love the Celebrity Rooms at the Astor!

But I seriously would not recommend booking US MBA student groups there. A few would love it. But most would complain about the old rooms and furnishings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.