Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2+ days in Beijing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:49 am
Original Poster

2+ days in Beijing

I've spent several hours reading excellent FAQs and posts of the ambassadors and others in this forum plus some other sources.

Being filled to the brim with various bits of information, I'm still having trouble assembling this into a meaningful plan of what to do in Beijing for my first trip to PRC. I'll be there on a conference next week, having limited free time until Sunday afternoon, and two free days after that. Would appreciate your suggestions on how to fill this time with some flowing itinerary (and I can be a religious follower of a good itinerary).

I've traveled a fair bit elsewhere. Alas, not a word of Mandarin but I've spent 5 days in Kyoto by myself with no Japanese and enjoyed that immensely (with all the unavoidable bits of mime- and dance-based communication with locals).

I'm interested in sights, both ancient and recent history, walks, bit of nightlife, good food/drink. Not sure how much of that I can fit into 2.5 days. I'm prepared to walk/ride significant part of this time for worthwhile experiences
but a relaxed itinerary is not a bad option, either.

I'll be staying next to the Olympic Sports Center. Not sure if there is much to see/do in that area. The sights seem to be in the center but authentic restaurants (BTW, suggestions are gratefully accepted) are located outside of the rings 2-3, correct?

GW seems an obvious choice for say, half-day Mon or Tue.
The rest is a big gap now.

Many thanks in advance.

One simple but practical question:
I fly with AA and their PEK arrival (11.30pm) and departure (6.55am) times are traveler-unfriendly. I hope I can change USD to RMB at the airport after midnight but I guess I'll have only taxis (120 RMB) at my disposal to get to/from the airport, right?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 3:00 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by b100cks
I've spent several hours reading excellent FAQs and posts of the ambassadors and others in this forum plus some other sources.

Being filled to the brim with various bits of information, I'm still having trouble assembling this into a meaningful plan of what to do in Beijing for my first trip to PRC. I'll be there on a conference next week, having limited free time until Sunday afternoon, and two free days after that. Would appreciate your suggestions on how to fill this time with some flowing itinerary (and I can be a religious follower of a good itinerary).

I've traveled a fair bit elsewhere. Alas, not a word of Mandarin but I've spent 5 days in Kyoto by myself with no Japanese and enjoyed that immensely (with all the unavoidable bits of mime- and dance-based communication with locals).

I'm interested in sights, both ancient and recent history, walks, bit of nightlife, good food/drink. Not sure how much of that I can fit into 2.5 days. I'm prepared to walk/ride significant part of this time for worthwhile experiences

I'll be staying next to the Olympic Sports Center. Not sure if there is much to see/do in that area. The sights seem to be in the center but authentic restaurants (BTW, suggestions are gratefully accepted) are located outside of the rings 2-3, correct?

Many thanks in advance.

I fly with AA and their PEK arrival (11.30pm) and departure (6.55am) times are traveler-unfriendly. I hope I can change USD to RMB at the airport after midnight but I guess I'll have only taxis (120 RMB) at my disposal to get to/from the airport, right?
I'll let more seasoned PEK residents chime in on itineraries etc. -- still haven't done most of the touristy things myself!

But I am a regular on the AA flight -- the forex counter is open every time that I've arrived, so it will be easy to change money. You can also use an ATM, but there are no China Construction Banks that I've seen the in terminal for fee-free withdrawals for BoA customers.

Getting a cab is easy: just have a printed address, and get on at the taxi rank. You can get a car service from many hotels, but it is not necessary.

Enjoy!

tb
Old Mar 16, 2012, 3:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Many thanks in advance.

Getting money from ATMs at the airport is really easy, but if you're really stressed about it, please send me an email, and I will hook you up with Raymond (my car service guy who charges y200 from the airport, and accepts many forms of payment).

It looks like I need to be in Shanghai for the first half of next week; otherwise, I'd show you around myself.

In spite of the fact that your hotel location is sub optimal, you won't be too far away from: SLT, the Lido area, and Wudaokou.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks! I'm reassured wrt the airport but somewhat envious to the discussion in the "1 day in Beijing" thread

But breaking 1 day into 2+ seems easy enough following the suggestions there. Monday to the center and Tuesday to the North (Badaling + Temple of Heaven). What's good for a Sunday afternoon/night?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: various
Thanks! I'm reassured wrt the airport but somewhat envious to the discussion in the "1 day in Beijing" thread

But breaking 1 day into 2+ seems easy enough following the suggestions there. Monday to the center and Tuesday to the North (Badaling + Temple of Heaven). What's good for a Sunday afternoon/night?
Sorry, but you get a different customized plan than our 1-day'er. Here's something that ticks all your boxes:

Sunday afternoon, assume after lunch: Lama Temple first. Just get a taxi to take you there, it's on the north inside of the 2nd Ring Road. That's good for about an hour or so. Then out the gate and across the street, sort of, walk down Guozijian Street which is a nice old hutong. Confucius Temple is up on the right. I'm not a big fan of this place since I think it is especially cold and dead and would pass it by, in favor of a more interesting walk to nanluoguxiang, turn left and go all the way to Gulou Street, turn right and go to the Drum Tower which you'll run into. Check out the little square in teh back between Drum/Bell Towers, and some of the neighborhoods behind. Then, as it will be later in the afternoon, go into the Houhai area and look around some of the hutong housing there, then back around the lake for dinner. No private car/driver required.

Monday: Tiantan (Temple of Heaven) EARLY in the morning--entering by the south gate is best and preferably around 7 am this time of year. In the interstitial park area between road drop-off and Tiantan itself is a most interesting range of social activity and exercise, definitely traditional Beijing/China and worth seeing for a few minutes. Visit Tiantan, then out the east gate to catch Line 5 subway; change at Chongwenmen to Line 2 subway west to Qianmen stop. (it will be crowded but taxis will be impossible to get at that time of morning). See Qianmen and Arrow Towers on the southend, then cross over to SW corner of Square but go one more street west, then turn right. You'll see the back of the Great Hall of the People and then the Egg (Ntl Center for the Performing Arts). A most interesting juxtaposition. Cross under Chang'an blvd and turn right, heading for Chairman Mao. Go inside the gate and all the way back until you get to ticket booth for Forbidden City. Do your south-to-north walk-through. By now it will probably be about 1 pm. Head over to Oriental Plaza for a late lunch--if you want something quite nice, Made in China at the Hyatt or some of the other restaurants and cafes in there are fine. Then about 3 pm, Wangfujing subway west to Muxidi, exit C. Capital Museum, one of Beijing's best. Make sure to see the top floor with the Old Beijing Customs, then other galleries as per your interests (bronzes and porcelains are quite good). No private/car driver required for this day either.

Tuesday: Great Wall + Summer Palace. Easiest to do this by private car/driver to do both on same day. With car/driver, I'd recommend Mutianyu GW. Get an early start again, leave hotel by 7 or 7:30. From your hotel location, at least you don't have to slog through central traffic so that would help. Morning there, then lunch, then SP in the afternoon--you can dispense with driver once he drops you off at SP.

You don't want to go to any of the Big 3 sites (GW, FC, SP) on a weekend if you can avoid it, which is why I didn't put them on Sunday. Tiantan is best first thing in morning. Watch the weather forecast: if Monday is going to be beautiful and Tuesday crappy, switch those days around.

Evenings: didn't fill these in, but probably at least once over in the expat area. You might want to catch some sort of Chinese-y show like acrobats or kung fu. Touristy, but they can be fun.

Last edited by jiejie; Mar 17, 2012 at 8:35 am
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
OP, please check out our FAQ's

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...t-threads.html

Should answer your questions.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie
Sorry, but you get a different customized plan than our 1-day'er. Here's something that ticks all your boxes:

Sunday afternoon, assume after lunch: Lama Temple first. Just get a taxi to take you there, it's on the north inside of the 2nd Ring Road. That's good for about an hour or so. Then out the gate and across the street, sort of, walk down Guozijian Street which is a nice old hutong. Confucius Temple is up on the right. I'm not a big fan of this place since I think it is especially cold and dead and would pass it by, in favor of a more interesting walk to nanluoguxiang, turn left and go all the way to Gulou Street, turn right and go to the Drum Tower which you'll run into. Check out the little square in teh back between Drum/Bell Towers, and some of the neighborhoods behind. Then, as it will be later in the afternoon, go into the Houhai area and look around some of the hutong housing there, then back around the lake for dinner. No private car/driver required.

Monday: Tiantan (Temple of Heaven) EARLY in the morning--entering by the south gate is best and preferably around 7 am this time of year. In the interstitial park area between road drop-off and Tiantan itself is a most interesting range of social activity and exercise, definitely traditional Beijing/China and worth seeing for a few minutes. Visit Tiantan, then out the east gate to catch Line 5 subway; change at Chongwenmen to Line 2 subway west to Qianmen stop. (it will be crowded but taxis will be impossible to get at that time of morning). See Qianmen and Arrow Towers on the southend, then cross over to SW corner of Square but go one more street west, then turn right. You'll see the back of the Great Hall of the People and then the Egg (Ntl Center for the Performing Arts). A most interesting juxtaposition. Cross under Chang'an blvd and turn right, heading for Chairman Mao. Go inside the gate and all the way back until you get to ticket booth for Forbidden City. Do your south-to-north walk-through. By now it will probably be about 1 pm. Head over to Oriental Plaza for a late lunch--if you want something quite nice, Made in China at the Hyatt or some of the other restaurants and cafes in there are fine. Then about 3 pm, Wangfujing subway west to Muxidi, exit C. Capital Museum, one of Beijing's best. Make sure to see the top floor with the Old Beijing Customs, then other galleries as per your interests (bronzes and porcelains are quite good). No private/car driver required for this day either.

Tuesday: Great Wall + Summer Palace. Easiest to do this by private car/driver to do both on same day. With car/driver, I'd recommend Mutianyu GW. Get an early start again, leave hotel by 7 or 7:30. From your hotel location, at least you don't have to slog through central traffic so that would help. Morning there, then lunch, then SP in the afternoon--you can dispense with driver once he drops you off at SP.

You don't want to go to any of the Big 3 sites (GW, FC, SP) on a weekend if you can avoid it, which is why I didn't put them on Sunday. Tiantan is best first thing in morning. Watch the weather forecast: if Monday is going to be beautiful and Tuesday crappy, switch those days around.

Evenings: didn't fill these in, but probably at least once over in the expat area. You might want to catch some sort of Chinese-y show like acrobats or kung fu. Touristy, but they can be fun.
You ambassadors are doing incredible job here! I just can't wait to do this in reality, many-many thanks ^^^^^^^^
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Just to throw in a small "plan B" in case time is running out after Tiantan - Qianmen - Tiananmen - Forbidden City plus late lunch. Instead of heading to the museum at Muxidi you also take the metro from Wangfujing in the other direction to Jianguomen and track down the "ancient observatory".

Just to be clear - there isn't much to see here - just a dozen or so astronomical instruments (mostly built in the early/mid Qing dynasty era) - but I think it's a cool way to fill up a 45 minute slot if you are in that area and the day is running out. And it definitely fits in with the "A most interesting juxtaposition" theme (the watchtower where the "museum" is based is squeezed on all sides by modern Beijing ....)

(Edit - forgot the "nightlife" part)
If you want some "authentic" nightlife during your meeting - and the weather is okay - you can try just taking the metro one stop down from the Olympic Sports Center to to Beitucheng. There is a thin strip of park that runs almost all the way along Beitucheng-Dong/Xi-Jie. If the weather is good there will be a good number of local Beijingers taking in the evening air. There are some good restaurants along this road to (even if the dinner is covered at the hotel by the conference fee I encourage you to eat elsewhere when you can - the chances are that even a cheap local place you will get better food than at a hotel dinner buffet)

Last edited by GinFizz; Mar 18, 2012 at 6:25 am
Old Mar 19, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by GinFizz
Just to throw in a small "plan B" in case time is running out after Tiantan - Qianmen - Tiananmen - Forbidden City plus late lunch. Instead of heading to the museum at Muxidi you also take the metro from Wangfujing in the other direction to Jianguomen and track down the "ancient observatory".
Just to be clear - there isn't much to see here - just a dozen or so astronomical instruments (mostly built in the early/mid Qing dynasty era) - but I think it's a cool way to fill up a 45 minute slot if you are in that area and the day is running out. And it definitely fits in with the "A most interesting juxtaposition" theme (the watchtower where the "museum" is based is squeezed on all sides by modern Beijing ....)

If you want some "authentic" nightlife during your meeting - and the weather is okay - you can try just taking the metro one stop down from the Olympic Sports Center to to Beitucheng. There is a thin strip of park that runs almost all the way along Beitucheng-Dong/Xi-Jie. If the weather is good there will be a good number of local Beijingers taking in the evening air. There are some good restaurants along this road to (even if the dinner is covered at the hotel by the conference fee I encourage you to eat elsewhere when you can - the chances are that even a cheap local place you will get better food than at a hotel dinner buffet)
Bold #1. Agree, this is a decent Plan B.

Bold #2. Agree, even in China, conference buffets often trend to the local version of Rubber Chicken.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GinFizz

Thanks, GinFizz, good points. Avoiding hotel food is easy but is there a food item I should absolutely try in Beijing?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:03 am

You can probably try Beijing roast duck.
The traditional version is a little fatty but there is also a drier much less oily version called "pipa" duck.

Try both versions and see which u prefer.
I like both.

Several specialized restaurants serve it and people have their favorite.

Thanks, GinFizz, good points. Avoiding hotel food is easy but is there a food item I should absolutely try in Beijing?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
You can probably try Beijing roast duck.
The traditional version is a little fatty but there is also a drier much less oily version called "pipa" duck.

Try both versions and see which u prefer.
I like both.

Several specialized restaurants serve it and people have their favorite.
Def go with the fatty version, you only live once. ^
Old Apr 8, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS

I really enjoy a couple Sunday things in Beijing

The "Antique Market" great people watching in a market with it seems like 100s of vendors selling porcelain, books, glass, fabric. Prices are.very high though so bargain fiercely a don't be afraid to walk away.

Sunday in a big public park: the Hugh public parks are gathering points for Chinese to play badminton (without a net!!) practise ballroom dancing, do tai chi, fly kites and much more. My favorite is the area where Chinese gather for pickup choirs. I've even joined in and made friends there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.