Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Do I need to purchase a return ticket before departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, F9 Ascent

I purchased a one way ticket DEN-PEK for next week. I do not know my exact return date yet or even which city I will fly home from. The UAL agent told me that I will need to purchase the return ticket before I depart next week. Does anyone know if this is true? Would I be denied boarding or not allowed to enter China? I would like to wait until I have all my meetings scheduled and confirmed before I purchase the return. That may not happen until I am already in China. Thanks,
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Yes. It is true. When you go through customs they will not let you in the country without seeing your return flight. The original gate agent is also supposed to make sure you have a return flight and even a visa. (if a visa is needed ahead of time).
Their way of making sure you are not staying there permanently.

Last edited by smith80678; Mar 8, 2012 at 9:31 am
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
There's plenty of discussion, such as this following thread, over China Forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...e-transit.html
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
buy a fully refundable return ticket....then you can move it or buy a cheaper one & get it refunded....should work....
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
I ahve always just bought a fully-refundable ticket as noted. Then once I knew return date, cancelled ticket and booked a more affordable one.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, F9 Ascent
Refundable ticket is a great idea. Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by gmitchs
Would I be denied boarding or not allowed to enter China? ,
Most Likely, you would not get to China, they won't let you board.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
How would this work for a non-rev? There is no return ticket to show to immigration in China, however your airline will know you are listed for a flight back. Would some kind of printout showing being listed standy suffice? I'm not a non-rev anymore, but I would certainly like to get out of this office and back to airline work.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by gwar69
How would this work for a non-rev? There is no return ticket to show to immigration in China, however your airline will know you are listed for a flight back. Would some kind of printout showing being listed standy suffice? I'm not a non-rev anymore, but I would certainly like to get out of this office and back to airline work.
I presume that carriers have appropriate paperwork for their employees which they have worked out with local authorities. Keeping up with employee immigration issues worldwide is a big deal.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
I presume that carriers have appropriate paperwork for their employees which they have worked out with local authorities. Keeping up with employee immigration issues worldwide is a big deal.
Fair point. That sounds simple enough. I worked for US who obviously doesn't do TPAC, so I never thought about that.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I've traveled to both PEK and PVG many times on one-way awards and never have been asked to show proof either at check-in or when going through immigration.

Spotty enforcement of the rules. I've always been prepared to book a return on my phone using miles if need be.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: nice
There is no return ticket to show to immigration in China, however your airline will know you are listed for a flight back.

Last edited by kingke; Mar 8, 2012 at 9:40 pm
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:39 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For further discussion, I'll move this to the Travel->China forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
In dozens of entries into China, no one has ever asked to see proof of a return ticket. Indeed, for many common entry scenarios, it would be impossible to show one. Crossing the land border with HK is perhaps the best example of this - what, should I show them my Octopus card to prove I can take the MTR back?

Based on my experience, I wouldn't worry about any problems from Chinese immigration. If the airline gives you trouble at departure, as others have suggested, offer to buy a refundable ticket on the spot and simply cancel it as soon as you land. I wouldn't worry about preparing this in advance, though, as I've never been asked by an airline either (this assumes a valid visa, of course).
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:47 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
If you have a China visa no need for proof of return ticket. You could make a land crossing to exit China.

If making a transit without visa, need a ticket exiting China to a third country within
the time limit Shanghai 48 hrs.. Beijing and others 24 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.