Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Shanghai China trip, 7 days and 6 nights for $49

Old Mar 7, 12, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

I saw in a Chinese articles that the Chinese government is sponsoring a trip to visit Shanghai for JUST $49 - 7 days and 6 nights. It includes 4 stars hotels and 3 meals a day. I heard that they will bring you to shop 2-3 hours each day. The deal is TOO GOOD to be true. Have anybody been to a similar trip? Please share your experience. Thanks.
Old Mar 7, 12, 6:50 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The China one is probably the least expensive one I've seen, but I think Turkey did something like that a few years ago.

Here's a good post on a blog explaining the China one

http://www.wellheeledblog.com/2012/0...rseas-chinese/

If you can put up with the constant sales pitches, you can of course save a ton of money. But you have to realize it's more a government funded shopping trip than a sightseeing trip.
Old Mar 8, 12, 9:10 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
If you can put up with the constant sales pitches, you can of course save a ton of money. But you have to realize it's more a government funded shopping trip than a sightseeing trip.
Been there and done that.

IMHO it was a waste of my time. You only get limited time at the sights. Most of the time is spent waiting and being pestered in the shopping area waiting for your group's quota to be filled.
But if you are a shopper then YMMV.
Old Mar 9, 12, 5:54 pm

I don't know that I would waste so much time shopping if I was traveling all the way to China even for that price. I went on a 9 day approx. tour of Beijing, Xi'an, and Shanghai with airfare, internal transportation (train, air) for about $1200 with almost all meals included and admission to the sites. 4-5 star hotels and we did not get fined for leaving the tour! There was shopping time, too, but not so much that I got aggravated by it. Shopping is part of every bus tour I have been on. That trip is probably $200 more now but still a fantastic bargain.

So, with airfare as expensive as it is, and all the other mandatory costs (English speaking guide if necessary, tips), a regular tour comes close without the hassles.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by jennj99738; Mar 9, 12 at 10:15 pm Reason: spelling mistakes
Old Mar 9, 12, 9:45 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving this thread to the FT China Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 8, 12, 5:30 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by aktamucsd View Post
I saw in a Chinese articles that the Chinese government is sponsoring a trip to visit Shanghai for JUST $49 - 7 days and 6 nights. It includes 4 stars hotels and 3 meals a day. I heard that they will bring you to shop 2-3 hours each day. The deal is TOO GOOD to be true. Have anybody been to a similar trip? Please share your experience. Thanks.
My biggest problem with any Chinese tour is transportation used. If they use a bus be very careful. As a 6ft plus 230lb an the seats can be quite a challenge. I was once on a five hour bus ride Ina 1/2 size bus very small seats it took me two massages to recover from the pain.

Search this Thread