Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

CA PEK-(HLD)-HTA Is this an international flight or domestic and then international?

CA PEK-(HLD)-HTA Is this an international flight or domestic and then international?

Old Mar 2, 12, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BAG/OWE, Accor Gold
Question CA PEK-(HLD)-HTA Is this an international flight or domestic and then international?

Hello,
I have managed to book an Air China flight PEK-HTA (Chita Russia), CA917.
It has a 1 hour stop in HLD (Hailer, China). On my reservation it shows it as a technical stop.

But I understand it is also possible to buy just the
PEK-HLD and HLD-HTA separately with different flight numbers.

My flight number is CA917 all the way.

I'm am very confused as to whether it is classed as an international flight from PEK or a domestic flight requiring me to use immigration at HLD?

I arrive in PEK from another international flight so I need to work out if I need a visa for China or not.

It's a strange flight because it's not shown on the Star Alliance timetable and Air China call centre weren't so sure...
Old Mar 2, 12, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbfield View Post
Hello,
I have managed to book an Air China flight PEK-HTA (Chita Russia), CA917.
It has a 1 hour stop in HLD (Hailer, China). On my reservation it shows it as a technical stop.

But I understand it is also possible to buy just the
PEK-HLD and HLD-HTA separately with different flight numbers.

My flight number is CA917 all the way.

I'm am very confused as to whether it is classed as an international flight from PEK or a domestic flight requiring me to use immigration at HLD?

I arrive in PEK from another international flight so I need to work out if I need a visa for China or not.

It's a strange flight because it's not shown on the Star Alliance timetable and Air China call centre weren't so sure...
You don't need a PRC visa, as long as your stay in PEK is less than 24 hours. Unless things have changed since the last time I did this drill, you will clear customs in Beijing, be required to wait at a special bus gate there, and perform exit procedures during your stopover (fast, and the plane won't leave without you).
Old Mar 2, 12, 9:48 pm
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
That flight leaves Beijing about 7-ish in the morning. I'd feel comfortable advising you to not worry about anything as long as your intl arrival into Beijing is not earlier than 24 hours from that, on the previous day. Then you can use Transit-Without Visa privilege and of course, leave the airport during your layover in Beijing.

I'm not sure what the procedure is for this flight is currently, since it is an oddball and HLN is a real outstation, but for this one, they might want to process you through international immigration at Beijing, not Hailar and particularly since you have a through-ticket PEK-HTA. With this short of a stop in HLN, they may have Chita-bound passengers stay on board there, or they may segregate those passengers and put them in a holding pen while they do refueling then reboarding, or may corral all of you and have you do the official exit there. Probably you should just not worry too much and once you get into PEK and through the transit immigration, head for Air China desk and see if you can get clarity for the onward procedures. Then go with the flow.
Old Mar 2, 12, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
That flight leaves Beijing about 7-ish in the morning. I'd feel comfortable advising you to not worry about anything as long as your intl arrival into Beijing is not earlier than 24 hours from that, on the previous day. Then you can use Transit-Without Visa privilege and of course, leave the airport during your layover in Beijing.

I'm not sure what the procedure is for this flight is currently, since it is an oddball and HLN is a real outstation, but for this one, they might want to process you through international immigration at Beijing, not Hailar and particularly since you have a through-ticket PEK-HTA. With this short of a stop in HLN, they may have Chita-bound passengers stay on board there, or they may segregate those passengers and put them in a holding pen while they do refueling then reboarding, or may corral all of you and have you do the official exit there. Probably you should just not worry too much and once you get into PEK and through the transit immigration, head for Air China desk and see if you can get clarity for the onward procedures. Then go with the flow.
I'd bet my bottom dollar that HLN functions in that exact same manner as DLC and XMN. I'm less sure about the PEK side of the equation; those segregated gates are so miserable, that I figure it's only a matter of time before the situation gets rectified.

On a related note, why is it that MU manages to serve all of its monopoly markets in Japan/Korea with nonstop service, while CA compels us to stop in DLC?
Old Mar 3, 12, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I will not worry too much about the visa then.
My inbound flight to PEK arrives at 05:15 on the same day so definately less than 24 hours in China...or even Chinese airspace for that matter.

I may have one entry left on a double entry visa by the time of the flight and trying to keep that to use later on, when I may want/need to cut through China on the way back.

The pens don't sound so nice; does that mean I won't have access to any lounges even if travelling in F?
Old Mar 3, 12, 5:32 am
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Thank you. I will not worry too much about the visa then.
My inbound flight to PEK arrives at 05:15 on the same day so definately less than 24 hours in China...or even Chinese airspace for that matter.

I may have one entry left on a double entry visa by the time of the flight and trying to keep that to use later on, when I may want/need to cut through China on the way back.

The pens don't sound so nice; does that mean I won't have access to any lounges even if travelling in F?
Sometimes there's a first class pen with bigger, softer seats. Look at it this way, your transit time won't be long enough to worry one way or another. Find enjoyment and amusement in sizing up/chatting up your fellow passengers. Amongst any group of passengers going from Hailar to Chita, there's bound to be a few interesting sociological specimens.
Old Mar 5, 12, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Okey dokey, thanks for the tip I'll take a phrase book or two!
Air China also confirmed today that it is an international flight...then when I tried to book a special meal, they said it was only snacks (even in F) So I think I might be taking some food onboard with me...a picnic in first.

(and a decision to fly back via another route).
Old Mar 5, 12, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okey dokey, thanks for the tip I'll take a phrase book or two!
Air China also confirmed today that it is an international flight...then when I tried to book a special meal, they said it was only snacks (even in F) So I think I might be taking some food onboard with me...a picnic in first.

(and a decision to fly back via another route).
I'm guessing your inbound flight is from LAX. If so, it frequently arrives at 4a (I know this all too well because I am tasked with greeting special guests from Los Angeles on a regular basis). I wonder if Kenny Rogers Roasters is open at that hour.
Old Mar 6, 12, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Nope, LX from ZRH.

Search this Thread