FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Xian Mercure Hotel to XYI (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1297177-xian-mercure-hotel-xyi.html)

Sfo-Dub-Commuter Jan 1, 12 6:19 am

Xian Mercure Hotel to XYI w shared Van suggestion?

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE for a shared van co to Airport. I'm a first timer here in Xian and am not comfortable in taxi solo rides.
MANY THANKS.

I have searched the sight for best poss link and my apologies if I missed
A more appropriate link.

moondog Jan 1, 12 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Sfo-Dub-Commuter (Post 17725017)
SUGGESTIONS PLEASE for a shared van co to Airport. I'm a first timer here in Xian and am not comfortable in taxi solo rides.

Ummm. Just do the taxi. If you're really worried about being hauled off into the stix and left for dead (1 in "very, very big number"), then you can always ask your hotel concierge to check up on you. Otherwise, take one of the airport buses.

FLLDL Jan 1, 12 10:05 am

I agree with Moondog. Getting a taxi at your western hotel in a touristy city like Xian will be no-issue and chances of something criminal happening are likely greater in SFO than in China.

Fare to the airport will be a known quantity for the hotel staff, just ask them and if the final fare ends up dramatically different just make a stink at the airport (taking picture of license plate, getting attention of anyone official looking etc). Make sure they use the meter and should be no problem. I usually stay at the Sofitel right near the Mercure and have had zero issues with Taxis.

There is a 25 RMB airport bus from the Bell Tower in Xian but not worth the hassle unless you are on a shoestring budget.

Good luck and safe travels

mnredfox Jan 1, 12 11:02 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 17725505)
Ummm. Just do the taxi. If you're really worried about being hauled off into the stix and left for dead (1 in "very, very big number"), then you can always ask your hotel concierge to check up on you. Otherwise, take one of the airport buses.

+1, ask your hotel to help you and explain your concern. Hotels when arranged will take care of you, and they will make sure you are not ripped off if you have the concierge help you.

MSPeconomist Jan 1, 12 11:07 am

If you're really concerned, have the hotel arrange your airport transfer. It will be some form of a sedan or limo and cost a lot more, but this can make sense in certain circumstances.

igopogo Jan 3, 12 4:56 pm

I wouldn't worry about criminal activity, but I will note that we just left the Mercure for the train station, and had to wait 1+ hour for a taxi (the front desk called for one). Might be different for the airport, since the fare is higher. If you decide to take a cab, though, you might want to walk out to the street if you find that one doesn't come right away.

moondog Jan 3, 12 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by igopogo (Post 17740633)
I wouldn't worry about criminal activity, but I will note that we just left the Mercure for the train station, and had to wait 1+ hour for a taxi (the front desk called for one). Might be different for the airport, since the fare is higher. If you decide to take a cab, though, you might want to walk out to the street if you find that one doesn't come right away.

Given your data point here, I would advise the OP to line one up the night before. Xi'an taxi drivers simply love airport runs!