FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Where to meet in PVG? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1294615-where-meet-pvg.html)

igopogo Dec 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Where to meet in PVG?

Mrs. igopogo and I will be arriving separately into Shanghai, and need to meet at the airport. Unfortunately, I will arrive into terminal one and she will arrive in terminal two.

a) is there airside access from terminal one to two?
b) if not, any recommendations for a foolproof place to meet?
c) any wifi in the airport as a last resort?

Thanks!

moondog Dec 23, 2011 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by igopogo (Post 17683886)
Mrs. igopogo and I will be arriving separately into Shanghai, and need to meet at the airport. Unfortunately, I will arrive into terminal one and she will arrive in terminal two.

a) is there airside access from terminal one to two?
b) if not, any recommendations for a foolproof place to meet?
c) any wifi in the airport as a last resort?

Thanks!

Yeah, there is a sign between the two terminals, labeled "meeting place"... impossible to miss.

anacapamalibu Dec 23, 2011 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 17683912)
Yeah, there is a sign between the two terminals, labeled "meeting place"... impossible to miss.

Meeting Point

There is free wifi in the airport but its slow and spotty.
Can go to one of the small restaurants and buy a cup of tea
and they will give you their wifi password and login, which is high speed.

wjv144 Dec 23, 2011 10:41 pm

I would suggest to meet in the middle :) which is the Maglev. You'll find a KFC and some Chinese fast food places where you can sit down.

Wifi; in my experience only available at the airside of the terminal. So get in touch before you pass through customs.

No way to get back into the terminal once you are outside. Going airside without boarding pass is a luxury you people in the US enjoy, but is rarely found abroad.

igopogo Dec 23, 2011 10:42 pm

Thank you! Yes, I see..."Impossible to miss"

Mrs. Igopogo is now satisfied that we will find each other.

igopogo Dec 23, 2011 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by wjv144 (Post 17684025)
I would suggest to meet in the middle :) which is the Maglev. You'll find a KFC and some Chinese fast food places where you can sit down.

Wifi; in my experience only available at the airside of the terminal. So get in touch before you pass through customs.

No way to get back into the terminal once you are outside. Going airside without boarding pass is a luxury you people in the US enjoy, but is rarely found abroad.

Thanks! We can't go airside here, either. Not even Alec Baldwin. But sometimes the terminals are connected airside, so if you're already in, you are free to roam.

ozstamps Dec 26, 2011 2:25 am

Yes we chuckled about that yesterday when arriving.

200 greeter folks crowding around the exit doors from customs, holding up all kinds of hand written signs and no ONE person anywhere in the "Meeting Place" area. Pretty funny really. :D

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Dec 26, 2011 2:36 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps (Post 17692021)
Yes we chuckled about that yesterday when arriving.

200 greeter folks crowding around the exit doors from customs, holding up all kinds of hand written signs and no ONE person anywhere in the "Meeting Place" area. Pretty funny really. :D

pretty much the same in Australia or any other airport in the world. Everyone stands at the exit to customs. Not sure why it is so much funnier in China??

There are several paths to the Maglev. For the meeting point mentioned above you need the Central Path.

moondog Dec 26, 2011 2:46 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 17692040)
pretty much the same in Australia or any other airport in the world. Everyone stands at the exit to customs. Not sure why it is so much funnier in China??

There are several paths to the Maglev. For the meeting point mentioned above you need the Central Path.

The humor lies: 1) in the sign itself; and 2) that the airport planning people thought to put it there.

anacapamalibu Dec 26, 2011 8:58 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 17692062)
The humor lies: 1) in the sign itself; and 2) that the airport planning people thought to put it there.

Sign is correct..just need to add some more points...like NRT

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid...st/svc_29.html

Nola Rice Dec 26, 2011 11:10 pm

I used to see the meeting place sign when I walked to Hong Kong from Shenzhen, always chuckled when there were a few people there. Signs in China are like signs in Europe, a suggestion.

mnredfox Dec 28, 2011 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Nola Rice (Post 17696236)
I used to see the meeting place sign when I walked to Hong Kong from Shenzhen, always chuckled when there were a few people there. Signs in China are like signs in Europe, a suggestion.

Well, in China all rules are more of a suggestion, whereas in Europe most rules are followed.

BrianMinn Jan 1, 2012 5:21 am

If I'm not mistaken, I've seen more than one "meeting place" between the two terminals. In any case, they are cold in the winter without comfortable seating arrangements. The maglev area is convenient if you're going to take the maglev, but if you're going to fly out of one of the two terminals, look at a map and select a restaurant at the best spot.

igopogo Jan 1, 2012 3:00 pm

So, I ended up meeting her at the customs exit...easy, there's only one way out :) This would be my recommendation for anyone in such a situation. I guess the meeting point can be a backup plan.

Free wifi was tough, but cheap wifi (the price of fries) was easy at...I think it was Burger King? The password was a very tough 1234567890 and may be the same for all of the eating establishments using the same service.

anacapamalibu Jan 1, 2012 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by igopogo (Post 17727360)
So, I ended up meeting her at the customs exit...easy, there's only one way out :) .

Very True

Pudong Intl Arrivals