FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   China Visa Applications - Need Help (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1292756-china-visa-applications-need-help.html)

pdxasflyer Dec 18, 2011 6:51 pm

China Visa Applications - Need Help

We are completing the Chinese Visa forms for our upcoming trip this spring, and the form asks several questions that most any person would find easy to answer, but in this case, we are a same-sex couple, and given that it's China we're talking about, we need some expert advice.

We are US citizens, legally married in Canada, and traveling with our two adopted sons - all with the same, hyphenated last name. The birth certificates list us both as parents. So, how SHOULD we answer the following questions?:

1. Marital status - we think we should put unmarried/never married/single but anybody suggest differently?
2. The form asks to list "major family members" for which we listed each other and our two kids. For each, it asks about the relationship to the applicant. For my husband, do I put 'husband', 'brother', 'friend' or 'other'??

We have thought that perhaps we shouldn't send them all in together or even list the two kids under one of us and none of the rest under the other one.

Would really like some expert advice on just what to put on these forms so we come across as truthful, yet not raising red flags that would result in a denial of our visas. Thanks!

moondog Dec 18, 2011 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by pdxasflyer (Post 17651894)
We are completing the Chinese Visa forms for our upcoming trip this spring, and the form asks several questions that most any person would find easy to answer, but in this case, we are a same-sex couple, and given that it's China we're talking about, we need some expert advice.

We are US citizens, legally married in Canada, and traveling with our two adopted sons - all with the same, hyphenated last name. The birth certificates list us both as parents. So, how SHOULD we answer the following questions?:

1. Marital status - we think we should put unmarried/never married/single but anybody suggest differently?
2. The form asks to list "major family members" for which we listed each other and our two kids. For each, it asks about the relationship to the applicant. For my husband, do I put 'husband', 'brother', 'friend' or 'other'??

We have thought that perhaps we shouldn't send them all in together or even list the two kids under one of us and none of the rest under the other one.

Would really like some expert advice on just what to put on these forms so we come across as truthful, yet not raising red flags that would result in a denial of our visas. Thanks!

You're over thinking this. Why not just submit four separate applications?

anacapamalibu Dec 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 17652094)

I think you have to fill out 4, one for each person.

I would suppose, fill out 3.6 with thruthful but possibly vague answers.
I have no idea why they want this information anyway.

A few visa sites advice on 3.6

3.6 Major family members – people who live with you or first degree relatives (parents, siblings,
offspring)

Major family members:You and your spouse, children where applicable. Just put those immediate family members you live with. If you live alone, put the name of at least one living relative (preferably immediate family - child, parent, sibling).

pdxasflyer Dec 18, 2011 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 17652094)

Quite likely, and we recognize that, but we basically have to fill out four separate applications anyway. More than any question, the listing of family members is the hang-up. Listing the names isn't the issue, but rather each one's relationship to the applicant.

That said,

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Major family members: You and your spouse, children where applicable. Just put those immediate family members you live with.

This is the crux of the issue. My partner ('husband', in Canada and truthfully) will be listed. What should be listed as the relationship to me?

So, do you think it would matter if we simply left each other off our list of family members on each other's applications? Better, simpler to do so?

Thanks again!

moondog Dec 18, 2011 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by pdxasflyer (Post 17652395)
This is the crux of the issue. My partner ('husband', in Canada and truthfully) will be listed. What should be listed as the relationship to me?

I vote for not even bringing up the issue; those guys seriously just want your $140 and for you to spread more greenbacks in their country.

anacapamalibu Dec 18, 2011 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 17652441)
I vote for not even bringing up the issue; those guys seriously just want your $140 and for you to spread more greenbacks in their country.

Canadians pay less
CAD 50-150 single to 12 month multiple

+1

pdxasflyer Dec 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks to both of you. I appreciate your responses, and we'll do just that.

Sfo-Dub-Commuter Jan 22, 2012 5:03 am

Chinese Visa request for Health Ins membership number

was omitted on my expedited Visa and gave a few cousins as contacts.:)