The Official Beijing Meet Up Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Beijing Meet Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: various
Most of the temple fairs are daily for at least the first week from about 8 or so to 5 pm or so. The famous one near Ditan Park (that's the one near Lama Temple) gets so packed out that it's nearly impossible to get in. I had to abandon that plan one year in favor of the one on Chaoyangwai at Dongyue Miao, very nice neighborhood-type fair if you are in the near east side.

Yuanmingyuan may or may not happen this year--check the schedule. There are two big ones in the southwest side (west of Temple of Heaven) at Taoranting Park and Grand View Park. So tootling down Line 4 subway to either of those might be a good plan. White Cloud Temple used to have one but some years they forego.

There are also some big fairs out in the suburbs, such as Hongluo Si (Red Snail Temple) near Mutianyu. Grab a hard copy or go online for TheBeijinger, City Weekend, That's Beijing, etc. and see what the latest is.

Nearly all charge entrance of RMB 10 per adult, I think little kids are free. There usually will be carnival type acts (acrobats, plate spinners, etc.), games to win little prizes (toss the rings, etc.), puppet shows, food stalls, vendors doing crafts that you can buy, just a fun atmosphere....and of course at intervals, lion dances. And this year maybe dragon dances.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:57 pm

BTW, hotpot last night was a nice outing. Let us wish a warm welcome to Beijing for lady1964 and Mr. lady1964! And thick earplugs for surviving the upcoming Festival of Noise.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jiejie
BTW, hotpot last night was a nice outing. Let us wish a warm welcome to Beijing for lady1964 and Mr. lady1964! And thick earplugs for surviving the upcoming Festival of Noise.
Yes, that was nice, and Hotpot Master certainly lived up to my expectations... light on the wallet too.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:43 am
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by moondog
Yes, that was nice, and Hotpot Master certainly lived up to my expectations... light on the wallet too.
Was a good evening & nice to meet some fellow FT'ers ^
Thanks for the welcome JeiJe
How's your hearing today Moondog?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by lady1964
Was a good evening & nice to meet some fellow FT'ers ^
Thanks for the welcome JeiJe
How's your hearing today Moondog?
Marginally improved, thanks. But, there is no longer stuff coming out of my ear, which pleases me more than the hearing thing.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Sorry that I missed the get-together again - I had to squeeze in a domestic trip at the end of last week after a delay in getting my new residence permit.

I am leaving on Jan 17th for a month (alas though not to warmer climes ...) so will miss any New Year celebration. Best wishes to all in any case for the coming Year of the Dragon!
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Can't go wrong with hotpot and beer . I might have gotten moondog's bug though, felt achy when I got on my red-eye from PEK last night and arrived in SIN with a scratchy throat. Keeping my fingers crossed for the onward journey to GOI tmr early AM. Bleah.

And yes, welcome to Beijing, lady1964 and mr. Lady1964!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:19 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Most of the temple fairs are daily for at least the first week from about 8 or so to 5 pm or so. The famous one near Ditan Park (that's the one near Lama Temple) gets so packed out that it's nearly impossible to get in. I had to abandon that plan one year in favor of the one on Chaoyangwai at Dongyue Miao, very nice neighborhood-type fair if you are in the near east side.

Yuanmingyuan may or may not happen this year--check the schedule. There are two big ones in the southwest side (west of Temple of Heaven) at Taoranting Park and Grand View Park. So tootling down Line 4 subway to either of those might be a good plan. White Cloud Temple used to have one but some years they forego.

There are also some big fairs out in the suburbs, such as Hongluo Si (Red Snail Temple) near Mutianyu. Grab a hard copy or go online for TheBeijinger, City Weekend, That's Beijing, etc. and see what the latest is.

Nearly all charge entrance of RMB 10 per adult, I think little kids are free. There usually will be carnival type acts (acrobats, plate spinners, etc.), games to win little prizes (toss the rings, etc.), puppet shows, food stalls, vendors doing crafts that you can buy, just a fun atmosphere....and of course at intervals, lion dances. And this year maybe dragon dances.
Thanks jiejie, super helpful. The schedules weren't online for 2012 yet when I last looked a couple of days ago, but I will keep my eyes peeled. Yuanmingyuan would be great if it's on, since we can easily walk there! Otherwise, we will venture out a bit more...

tb
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:46 pm

What is the Chinese name for Hotpot Master and where is it? Was in Beijing a couple of weeks ago, will try to join the Meet Up next time if in town.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:20 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by FromPVG
What is the Chinese name for Hotpot Master and where is it? Was in Beijing a couple of weeks ago, will try to join the Meet Up next time if in town.
烹大师火锅达人

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17646968-post2.html
Old Feb 25, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat 2MM. Starwood Lifetime Gold
We will be in Beijing 8 - 11 March staying at Peninsula. Would love the opportunity to meet up and try some really local dining spot on one evening. Any place that is not frequented by tourists. Seems that the best way for Chinese food is with a group!. Respond by PM or just a post. Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by omsflyer
We will be in Beijing 8 - 11 March staying at Peninsula. Would love the opportunity to meet up and try some really local dining spot on one evening. Any place that is not frequented by tourists. Seems that the best way for Chinese food is with a group!. Respond by PM or just a post. Thanks
I suppose it is time for another get together, but I find myself at a loss for venue suggestions because I'm not exactly Anthony Bourdain.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: BA - Blue
I suppose it is time for another get together, but I find myself at a loss for venue suggestions because I'm not exactly Anthony Bourdain.
You forget that most visitors will be coming to BJ for the first time...so anywhere is new, and anywhere half-way decent is great. And for this west-sider, we've hardly been anywhere (east-sideish) so we're also up for pretty much anything (not too exhorbitant).

So it really comes to what you east-siders would consider a tolerable night out!

tb
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
You forget that most visitors will be coming to BJ for the first time...so anywhere is new, and anywhere half-way decent is great. And for this west-sider, we've hardly been anywhere (east-sideish) so we're also up for pretty much anything (not too exhorbitant).

So it really comes to what you east-siders would consider a tolerable night out!

tb
I had some foodies visit here around a month ago, and they picked a famous dumpling place just west of Chaoyang Park. While I didn't venture into their purple dumplings, I was pleased by their Kung Pao chicken (I really am that lame, guys), and the total bill was really cheap.

On another note, I'm going to Ciro's Tuesday night (Feb 28). Ciro, himself, is in town, and everything is free between 8 and 10. In theory, tickets are required, but I'm confident that I can get at least 4 of you guys past the velvet rope.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:39 pm

I had some foodies visit here around a month ago, and they picked a famous dumpling place just west of Chaoyang Park. While I didn't venture into their purple dumplings, I was pleased by their Kung Pao chicken (I really am that lame, guys), and the total bill was really cheap.

On another note, I'm going to Ciro's Tuesday night (Feb 28). Ciro, himself, is in town, and everything is free between 8 and 10. In theory, tickets are required, but I'm confident that I can get at least 4 of you guys past the velvet rope.
Haven't tried Ciro's yet. I'm interested and available. Let me know if you have a spare ticket. SMS if possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.