Wiki Posts
Search

the English China Daily

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

the English China Daily

Greetings, all. I've mentioned my fascination with the English language China Daily several times in passing, but yesterday, I finally managed to bring a copy home with me (I only read it when I'm on airplanes and have nothing better to do).

Here is a sampling of the more interesting headlines:

-Old woman seeks Carrefour apology
-Wife cares for her paralyzed husband
-Girl watches man kill her parents
-Teenage gamer commits suicide
-Proud dad's diary wins fans online
-Security guards become college grads
-Investigation finds boy was not run over twice

In a nutshell, censorship is still alive and well in these parts, but rather than spinning party line puff on actual news, members of the Chinese press are increasingly drawn towards inane topics like the above... which make for interesting reading. Grab a copy on your next flight and see for yourself.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:23 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Not to be outdone by the country's official press agency.

Xinhua News

recent articles published:

David Fincher thinks Scarlett Johansson too sexy

Evan Rachel Wood claims to be bisexual

Bisexual celebrities: truth or rumor?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 2:17 am

Programs: various
If you want the more business and political news per the propaganda machine, try the Global Times.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 3:30 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
I read the Shanghai Daily and the China Daily (online) as often as I can. It is nice to read a newspaper and be able to get good news each day.

It always amazes me how little news there is in a Chinese newspapers.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 3:49 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
China daily delivered.

The 'english' china daily is interesting, the weekend stories are unique, and also some good travel stories.

I get the paper version delivered to my BJ apartment, 3 months costs 108 rmb. but it does not arrive till about noon, so it's like an evening read.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie
If you want the more business and political news per the propaganda machine, try the Global Times.
I know a few GT columnists, who I find to be witty and intelligent. They do the best they can within the framework in which the operate. (This statement is not intended to refer to all GT columnists/reporters, btw.)
Old Oct 29, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I love reading the China Daily while out there - it's a bizarre alternate reality newspaper which, while not as bad as the North Korean News agency ( http://www.kcna.co.jp/index-e.htm ) is certainly not fully of this planet. It always helped me adjust to being in China.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:50 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I do think you get quite good with time in interpreting the double speak and reading between the lines....

Btw, on a related note: Recommendations on Shanghai news stands where the SCMP is available daily?

I used to buy it at a hotel lobby near the main station and then enjoy the train rides to the Yangtze delta in company of a quality paper but that hotel has now been refurbished and the newsagents is no more.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosburger
I do think you get quite good with time in interpreting the double speak and reading between the lines....

Btw, on a related note: Recommendations on Shanghai news stands where the SCMP is available daily?

I used to buy it at a hotel lobby near the main station and then enjoy the train rides to the Yangtze delta in company of a quality paper but that hotel has now been refurbished and the newsagents is no more.
I grabbed one in the Portman gym last week (for free).

ETA: After posting, it occurred to me that I really don't care for the SCMP. It was good back in the day, but then they started closing down bureaus and the bulk of their sharpest writers jumped ship.

Last edited by moondog; Oct 31, 2011 at 6:09 am
Old Nov 1, 2011, 2:19 am

Programs: Skyteam
I love the China Daily, I have it delivered to the apartment. The stern warnings are my favorite articles. And the snippets of crime from around the country. The op-ed page is closest to SNL you can get in China. And hardly any ads. And the language tips for better chinese are priceless.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 3:52 am

Programs: *, 1W
Originally Posted by moondog
... SCMP... and the bulk of their sharpest writers jumped ship.
...and their best cartoonist was made to jump.... The buzz word has been self-censorship ever since.

I miss Lily Wong...
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
^
Originally Posted by Chopsticks
I miss Lily Wong...
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: Delta ,
My favorite

The best one I read was a Chinese man married a pretty Chinese lady to have a beautiful child. When the child was born, it was ugly. He was angry.The man did some investigating and found the woman had some plastic surgery to make her beautiful. The man divorced the woman and said he was tricked thinking her beauty was god given. There was no mention of his physical qualities or lack of.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Remember you can get these for free in many airports (eg PVG and SHA).
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:33 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
It's fun

There was an interesting article in last Thursday or Friday's edition that talked about changes in the prison system, where they now do more than just warehouse people, and a kindly caretaker who spoke dearly of his death-row inmates. Oh, and it spoke of one guy whose conviction was overturned after some help from this guy. Yikes. Fun to read, yes, touching in such a fake way it could have been done by National Lampoon back in the day.

It's a fun read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.