Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

HKG-ICN with layover at Nanjing

Old Oct 14, 11, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying Hong Kong to Seoul with a 1 hr 20 min layover in Nanjing. The Hong Kong-Nanjing segment is on China Eastern airlines, and the Nanjing-Seoul segment is on Asiana. Would I have to pick up my bags in Nanjing and go through customs again? or could I forward my bags all the way to Seoul?

Edit: The Hong Kong to Seoul flight with a layover in Nanjing was purchased on one ticket, booked on Travelocity.

Last edited by flyerred; Oct 14, 11 at 10:13 pm
Old Oct 14, 11, 8:40 pm

Those flights combined one ticket number?
Then u can make it.
But just in case, i suggest u to send baggae again in nanging.
Cause nanjing is china!!
There's no surprise even if u take same flight carrier lost your bag in china.
Old Oct 15, 11, 5:43 am
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
You'll need to ask China Eastern at check-in, and double-check the tags they put on your bags. On this sort of connection, policy is actually more under airport control than airline control. If NKG policy is for all international transit passenger connections to pick up and recheck, you'll need to do that. But if NKG allows intl transit passenger bags to be automatically routed through, you may be able to avoid fooling with them. I don't have any specific data points from travelers who have done intl transit through NKG, so unfortunately all I have to offer you is generic.

Assuming NKG allows auto-routing, the second wrinkle is whether MU and OZ have an interline agreement. They are not in the same Alliance so this should be checked with MU also. If they do not, then you'll be picking up bags and rechecking for sure.

I do not know what the Minimum intl-to-intl Connection time is at NKG, but 1:20 seems to be realistically OK if everything is on time, but tight if that inbound from HKG is delayed by a significant time. It's a bit of an odd way to go from HKG-ICN, to be sure.
Old Oct 15, 11, 12:26 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Please follow this in the China forum.

l'etoile
sr. moderator
Old Oct 16, 11, 2:12 am
m.y

Programs: AC *E HHonors Gold
I would guess you are likely need to pick up the bag and recheck, as Nanjing airport was build in 1997, back then no airport in China was designed for easy connections. Nanjing has very few international flights so they don't get many international transit passengers. You should ask for a seat close to the front for your flight to NKG so you can get out early to maximize your time. If you miss your connection, then you would have to overnight in NKG (hotel provided by MU) and leave next day as the OZ flight is the last one for the day. On OZ's website, the MCT for NKG is 120 minutes.

Last edited by m.y; Oct 16, 11 at 2:27 am

Search this Thread