Reload this Page >

The Jinghu (Beijing-Shanghai) High Speed Rail thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
I started this thread almost exactly 7 years ago. Not a lot has changed since then, but I think a wikipost is now justified:
-Jing refers to Beijing and Hu refers to Shanghai
-the smaller cities in the middle derive the greatest economic benefit from the service
-air fares have dropped a lot during the course of the past 7 years, and the delay situation has improved quite a bit, so I usually fly these days
-single digit trains tend to stop only in Nanjing, double digit trains stop in Nanjing and Jinan, and triple digit trains have up to 7 station stops.
-the vast majority of trains terminate at Shanghai Hongqiao, which isn't convenient for many people, but Shanghai Station service has recently been launched
-if you have a few days advance on your hands, buy tickets locally; in addition to being a little cheaper, this spares the need for will call
Print Wikipost

The Jinghu (Beijing-Shanghai) High Speed Rail thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:25 am

Will be in Shanghai next week, but need to be back in Beijing on Friday to catch a early morning flight on Saturday.
So I decided on taking the HSR from Shanghai to Beijing.

Couple of questions:
1. In Beijing, I will be arriving at - Beijing South Raiway Station, correct?
Thats not too bad, I can just take the 4 line to Xidan then line 1 to my hotel.

2. I figure arriving in Beijing around 8pm is good. This allows me to have a relaxing morning in Shanghai and still get into Beijing early enough for dinner near the hotel.
I am thinking of one of these trains:
G42, G144, G146, G18 - any recommendations? I think G18 might be the best choice.

I might try the moondog move on the train:
My SOP is to go straight to car 9 (dining car), get a good table, and hang out there until I hit Nanjing (southbound) or Jinan (northbound), and then plop myself in a first class seat for the rest of the journey.

I think I will go to my hotel concierge tomorrow morning and ask them to purchase the ticket for me.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sard
Will be in Shanghai next week, but need to be back in Beijing on Friday to catch a early morning flight on Saturday.
So I decided on taking the HSR from Shanghai to Beijing.

Couple of questions:
1. In Beijing, I will be arriving at - Beijing South Raiway Station, correct?
Thats not too bad, I can just take the 4 line to Xidan then line 1 to my hotel.

2. I figure arriving in Beijing around 8pm is good. This allows me to have a relaxing morning in Shanghai and still get into Beijing early enough for dinner near the hotel.
I am thinking of one of these trains:
G42, G144, G146, G18 - any recommendations? I think G18 might be the best choice.

I might try the moondog move on the train:
My SOP is to go straight to car 9 (dining car), get a good table, and hang out there until I hit Nanjing (southbound) or Jinan (northbound), and then plop myself in a first class seat for the rest of the journey.

I think I will go to my hotel concierge tomorrow morning and ask them to purchase the ticket for me.
Pass on those 3 digit trains, if possible. Assuming you have a 3G phone, you will be able to connect to the internet. If not, I would be happy to lend you my mify for your return trip.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:15 am

no phone while in China.

I do have a laptop (3 hour battery) and my cellphone (no service, but I can play angry birds).
Combine the 2 and that should keep me occupied for the trip.

Is there a plug for my laptop in the dining car?

What is MIFY?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:27 am
Original Poster

no phone while in China.

I do have a laptop (3 hour battery) and my cellphone (no service, but I can play angry birds).
Combine the 2 and that should keep me occupied for the trip.

Is there a plug for my laptop in the dining car?

What is MIFY?
Another FTer actually schooled me on this term; I had referred to it as a "router" previously; it is basically a device that provides internet only using a WCDMA SIM that lasts for about 4 months @ y300 (as long as you don't go too crazy with the data). Why on earth don't you have a phone in China? When you come to Shanghai, I'd be happy to hook you up with one. The trains have many power outlets.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:30 pm

>>Why on earth don't you have a phone in China?

Am here for 3 weeks for work and 1 week for vacation.
Didn't think I needed a phone (and haven't needed one yet)

I am going to ask my wife to try and buy me a ticket for the G18 train.

Is that the one you normally take?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

>>Why on earth don't you have a phone in China?

Am here for 3 weeks for work and 1 week for vacation.
Didn't think I needed a phone (and haven't needed one yet)

I am going to ask my wife to try and buy me a ticket for the G18 train.

Is that the one you normally take?
That's one of the ones I usually take, but I have trouble keeping track of g16, g18, and g20. I want to say they refer to 3p, 4p, and 5p, respectively. G4 is the fastest (by a whopping 7 minutes), and it leaves at 2p or 3p. Avoid the 3 digit trains if you can help it though (they take an extra 30+ minutes).

BTW, all of this info is easy to find with google; I'm just too lazy to look at the moment.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:22 am

Don´t just call them 3-digit trains: it is not only 3-digit trains which take extra time.

From Shanghai Hongqiao to Beijing South, there are 8 express trains daily. These depart at sharp hours 8:00 to 11:00 and 14:00 to 17:00. The other sharp hours do not have expresses - 7:00 (first train in the morning) and 13:00 are non-express trains, and no trains leave at 12:00 or 18:00.

The 8 expresses are numbered G2 and G4 (the 9:00 and 14:00 ones, taking 4:48) and G12 to G22 (the others, in order of time, taking 4:55).

The other trains take between 5:20 and 5:36. This includes all 3 number trains (G102 to G164) BUT ALSO the 2 number trains between G32 and G44. It is only the trains G22 and under that are expresses.

In your case, G18, departing at 15:00.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:22 am

According to my info:
G16 - 11am leaving Shanghai
G18 - 3pm leaving Shanghai
G20 - 4pm leaving Shanghai
G4 - 2pm leaving Shanghai
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:02 am
Original Poster

According to my info:
G16 - 11am leaving Shanghai
G18 - 3pm leaving Shanghai
G20 - 4pm leaving Shanghai
G4 - 2pm leaving Shanghai
Well, the 11a is operated by a Shanghai crew, which means (very slightly) better food/service IME. But, I would just go with whatever suits your schedule best, though I try to avoid the morning rush hour whenever possible.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:50 am

I'm going to ask my wife to try and purchase the G18 first.
It leaves at 3 and arrives at 8.

This gives me some time to hang out in the morning and gets into Beijing early enough to still get some dinner.

If the G18 is sold out, then maybe G20.
Although G146 is not too bad (even thought its a 3 digit).
It leaves 15 minutes before G18 and arrives 15 minutes after (yes its an extra 30 minutes) but 8:15 back in Beijing is not too bad.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 3:15 am
Original Poster

I'm going to ask my wife to try and purchase the G18 first.
It leaves at 3 and arrives at 8.
I've never once failed to get a ticket on the 3p train, and I typically buy at around noon on the day of travel. I have missed in several times though because the guy I usually ride with is habitually slow. Even this isn't the end of the world; we typically end up on a slower train departing 20 or 30 minutes later. If you're taking the subway, try to get out of Jing'an by 215p at the latest or Xintiandi by 205p (I'm being slightly conservative because both lines 2 and 10 offer Airport service on alternating trains... every 8 minutes or so). The subway actually is faster than the taxi IME, though you need to walk the entire length of the train station once you arrive... this takes close to 10 minutes, even if you rush, and I like to allow an extra 5 minutes in order to pick up some KFC/Subway for the trip. Train food is really bad, though the beer is not.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:37 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by moondog
Well, the 11a is operated by a Shanghai crew, which means (very slightly) better food/service IME. But, I would just go with whatever suits your schedule best, though I try to avoid the morning rush hour whenever possible.
If I may ask, how is the food service generally? I have a Jinghu HSR (Yangtze delta to Shandong) trip coming up with a six person VIP delegation and the schedule is so tight we don't have time for lunch other than aboard the train.

Should I try to get snacks at 10am before boarding or would they be able to serve something edible for the seven of us? Normally I never purchase food onboard so a bit unsure.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosburger
If I may ask, how is the food service generally? I have a Jinghu HSR (Yangtze delta to Shandong) trip coming up with a six person VIP delegation and the schedule is so tight we don't have time for lunch other than aboard the train.

Should I try to get snacks at 10am before boarding or would they be able to serve something edible for the seven of us? Normally I never purchase food onboard so a bit unsure.
Absolutely, yes. Look, I'm no fan of KFC or Subway, but the onboard offerings are simply horrible by way of comparison. Go for something like Wagas or Element Fresh if you want your guests to be truly happy.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by former230
Just a follow up post on this topic - my trip is now 6 weeks out...getting closer!

Still planning on taking the HSR from Beijing to Shanghai (one way) on a friday (nov 16th)

I was thinking of emailing my hotel concierge in BJ in advance to get me 3 one way tickets but I am not sure if this would be possible as it appears passports are required for foreigners purchasing tickets and it sounds like we should have plenty of time to get them at 48 hours in advance anyways (unless perhaps fridays are very busy for travel to SH).

One clarification I am hoping someone can address - once in Beijing, where can we actually purchase the tickets? Only at the main HSR train station?

Otherwise, I will be reporting back my experience here in case anyone else who is completely new to it (like me) wants to see another data point.

Thanks.
Well, I am back! Hard to believe the trip is over. Great times.

The concierge at the Hilton Wangfujing offered to get our tickets for us after we told them what we wanted. It turned out the morning 2 digit G trains were sold out already in first class (we bought on a wed for a fri AM train) so we ended up getting first class tickets for the G101 train. Grabbed a taxi from Wangfujing to Beijing south station early friday AM for 35 yuan. Everything at the train station was very easy to decipher as expected, so no issues.

The KFC in the train station was absolutely packed...long lines. I couldn't help but wonder if Moondog was amongst the crowd. ha. As he has said before, the food options on the train are poor.

Thanks all for the advice/help here. Certainly made the trip go smoother and my colleagues were impressed at the knowledge I had in advance about how things would work .

Cheers!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:06 pm

wife bought the 3pm ticket.
I'll try the moondog method and go straight to car 9 for the entire trip.

If you're on there, say hi.

Im the asian with glasses, black jacket, black hat and jeans. (and a few days growth of a beard)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.