Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

1 day in Beijing

1 day in Beijing

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 30, 17, 11:05 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: muji
Wiki Link
Central Beijing

Jingshan (Prospect Hill) Park is a royal landscape garden park located upon Jingshan hill, facing the north gate of the Forbidden City and affording a full view of the Forbidden City.

The Forbidden City was the Chinese imperial palace from the Ming dynasty to the end of the Qing dynasty - the years 1420 to 1912.

Tiantan (Temple of Heaven) Park is where the emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties visited for annual ceremonies of prayer to heaven for a good harvest. The temple is enclosed by a long wall. The northern part within the wall is semicircular symbolizing the heavens and the southern part is square symbolizing the earth.

taxi information: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...-services.html
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 16, 11, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

1 day in Beijing

I was just checking out one of the "fox's" stickies and noted that "1 day in Beijing" had yet to be created.

For starters, Beijing warrants more than one day, but since many people like to do that 23 hour TWOV thing, I suppose this is a relevant topic.

Furthermore, I often entertain business guests who only have one free day during their travels, and I have developed a nice routine.

I either ask them to sleep in or go to Wangfujing and meet me at "Made in China" for lunch. We typically order a duck, a beggar's chicken, and a few other side dishes (their Hainan chicken is also quite good). This really isn't very expensive.

Next, we walk to Tiananmen, but don't cross the street; you can see the square perfectly well from Tiananmen itself.

I've done the Forbidden City 50+ times and am sick of it. However, it's certainly worth seeing once... so I continue to bring people there. I like to do it in one hour because I feel that anything more deprives my guests of the chance to experience Beijing culture (imo, modern Beijing is more worthwhile than a replica of a Beijing 500 years ago).

After that, we head to Beihai Park. Some people thing Jingshan Park is better because it is due north of the Forbidden City (nice view), but I prefer Beihai because it is a really nice place (to the extent that is almost a proxy for the Summer Palace), and because it's possible to walk through it.

The north gate of Beihai is directly across the street from Houhai (similar to Beihai, but with lots of restaurants/bars). Sometimes I go there straight away (Yan Dai Hutong is worth a look-see), but I usually prefer to explore the nearby hutongs instead. I recently started a thread about the area, based on a Time Out article; there are lots of interesting places to see in the neighborhood.

By this point in the day (5p), my guests are typically exhausted, and just want to drink beer. However, sometimes I tack on 798 or Wudaokou.

Apart from my dislike for morning adventures, the main reason I don't start out early is that this drill entails a lot of walking.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 18, 11 at 1:05 am
Old Jul 17, 11, 9:04 am

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
Nice drill. ^

You should collect some fee as a effective tour guide.
Old Jul 18, 11, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Thanks moondog, I'll update the FAQ. PS, please use my FT handle.
Old Jul 18, 11, 3:01 pm

I personally would not do the forbidden city if you only have 24 hrs or so in Beijing, but that is just my opinion. The park north of it is nice though and is probably the park you mention here. There is a nice funfair park on line 1 I think the station is Baijiaoccun with some great rollercoasters. However I could barely manage to hold on at one of the rides there. Luckily that was a small sized ride. How I ventured into that? Well it was Monday and the military museum was closed and I saw on the map on metro that it was marked fun fair park at that station. So I just took line 1 out there. There were hardly any people there!
Old Jul 21, 11, 9:53 am

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Great leap forward?

Moondog

I know you mentioned some 'adventures' trying to find the great leap forward brewery as an appropriate finish for your day-trip in a previous post.

I was just wondering whether a non-mandarin speak completely unfamiliar with China has any chance of finding the place? (i.e. after WFJ, the FC and BeiHai park.)
Old Jul 21, 11, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
Moondog

I know you mentioned some 'adventures' trying to find the great leap forward brewery as an appropriate finish for your day-trip in a previous post.

I was just wondering whether a non-mandarin speak completely unfamiliar with China has any chance of finding the place? (i.e. after WFJ, the FC and BeiHai park.)
Well, I think the article I posted contained maps; if you print the Nanluoguxiang map, you should not have any major problems. I feel somewhat embarrassed that I had such a hard time finding it during my second attempt, but I will take responsibility for that (mistakenly assumed that my taxi driver at the time was capable of reading maps and/or grasping the "N/S/E/W" concept). The maps alone should be sufficient for any of us (IQ>100) folks to navigate the area.
Old Jul 21, 11, 2:18 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Different thread.

Aha- I had been looking at a thread about combining the brewery with your FC tour - which only contained a link to the www.greatleapbrewing.com site.

I found your 'hiddem hutongs' thread and link to the very helpful timeout article, thanks.
Old Jul 22, 11, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Ok, linked to main faq, now to start populating this thread.
Old Jul 22, 11, 12:35 pm

TimeOut link is another "current" resource to refer to. -- I am busy working on travel plans. Hoping to return to BJ & possibly SH in November with in-laws some who have yet to visit BJ...maybe a 6/4 split.
Old Jul 25, 11, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by William S View Post
I personally would not do the forbidden city if you only have 24 hrs or so in Beijing, but that is just my opinion. The park north of it is nice though and is probably the park you mention here. There is a nice funfair park on line 1 I think the station is Baijiaoccun with some great rollercoasters. However I could barely manage to hold on at one of the rides there. Luckily that was a small sized ride. How I ventured into that? Well it was Monday and the military museum was closed and I saw on the map on metro that it was marked fun fair park at that station. So I just took line 1 out there. There were hardly any people there!
I wouldn't either, but almost all of my guests from foreign lands disagree, so I try my best to accommodate. Furthermore, they tend to like it (pretty much unanimously). The admission fee is only y60 and it fits nicely into my aforementioned plan, so why not pass through it? To me, it's just part of the "walk", but my visitors definitely appreciate the opportunity to experience it, so I usually comply.

I would be happy to craft an "alternate day in BJ" post for those that are interested. This would likely focus more on the Summer Palace, Wudaokou, and 798. But, as far as walking tours are concerned, the OP is honestly the best I've been able to muster (I've done it many times).
Old Sep 6, 11, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by William S View Post
I personally would not do the forbidden city if you only have 24 hrs or so in Beijing, but that is just my opinion.
Why not? I'm putting together my 36 hour itinerary and figured a walk through would be part of it.

Takes too much time?
Nothing good to see?
Likely to be standing in line rather than seeing stuff?
Old Sep 6, 11, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Why not? I'm putting together my 36 hour itinerary and figured a walk through would be part of it.

Takes too much time?
Nothing good to see?
I thought getting a sense of the place and its scale was impressive. But the individual halls/ rooms not so much. Unless you plan to sprint from one end to another, you'll need a couple of hours to just walk through.

tb
Old Sep 6, 11, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trueblu View Post
I thought getting a sense of the place and its scale was impressive. But the individual halls/ rooms not so much. Unless you plan to sprint from one end to another, you'll need a couple of hours to just walk through.

tb
While I wouldn't say that I sprint through it, my average time there is under an hour per visit. As I've suggested many times before, the vast majority of people that I bring to the Forbidden City are actually more impressed by Beihai Park (we often spend 2+ hours there when the weather is nice).
Old Sep 6, 11, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, OZ silver,

Takes too much time?
Nothing good to see?
Please post your details when you finish! I will be there for 2 1/2 days in October and trying to get my details sorted out!

I plan on renting a driver for one day to head to the wall and tombs. I would also like to try the toboggan sleds down the hill!!
Old Sep 6, 11, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat

Takes too much time?
Nothing good to see?
If you've never been, just visiting the complex is impressive enough. I think you should do it. I pushed a group through in July in just over an hour. Didn't get to see anything inside the buildings, but a few of my group did manage to take a couple of snapshots of the buildings, since I did see some photos they posted on their FB pages.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: