Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Is there wireless internet at the Bejing airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2011, 3:08 am
Original Poster

I have nine hours to kill so need something to keep my boredom away. I'm also open to any other suggestions to keep myself busy; eat food, chat with the janitors, hit on duty free shop workers, etc.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 3:23 am

Yes, there is. You can get a (limited) time of internet at various places (machines which look a bit like those self-service BP printing machines, there are some landside as well), you'll need to enter your passport, and it's Chinese internet (meaning, pretty slow on western websites and with some enhancements - but generally working fine, strong signal everywhere )

I'm not exactly sure how long the time is that you can get there, but they definitely only give you a voucher when using your passport, I think it's also limited to one time per passport per a few days, so definitely not 9 hours. It's somewhere in between 1 and 3 hours iirc.

Maybe you could snag the lounge signal, or ask some other chinese to "grab" a internet voucher with their passports for you. Probably also depends on your Chinese.

However, 9 hours would be enough time to make a trip to Beijing for a few hours, if you haven't been there before only, of course.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
However, 9 hours would be enough time to make a trip to Beijing for a few hours, if you haven't been there before only, of course.
Agreed, apart from the fact that the internet at PEK blows, the far more important issue is that 9 hours is more than enough time to do some quality exploring.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:04 am

Take the airport express downtown, takes 20-25 minutes ish and swtich to line 2 at Dongzimen. Go to Qianmen station (about 15 minutes on the metro) walk and explore around Tiananmen area. The airport express costs 25 RMB one way and the metro costs 2 RMB one way so in total this would cost you 54 RMB which is around 8 USD. Of course if you have been to Beijing this may be boring. I actually found the Wifi at PEK pretty okey, but it is no good for heavy stuff I guess. This was terminal 2 so maybe it is slower in 3, I don't know. And as mentioned in numerous threads here you do not need a Chinese visa for this provided you stay less than 24 hrs.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by William S
Take the airport express downtown, takes 20-25 minutes ish and swtich to line 2 at Dongzimen. Go to Qianmen station (about 15 minutes on the metro) walk and explore around Tiananmen area.
If I only had 9 hours to spend in BJ, Tiananmen Square and Qianmen would not be close to the top of my list, but that's just me. Much depends on the OP's interests.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:41 am

I actually found the Wifi at PEK pretty okey, but it is no good for heavy stuff I guess. This was terminal 2 so maybe it is slower in 3, I don't know.
IME, T2 internet speeds are significantly better than T3 (terminal wide and lounges). I actually appreciate T2 more since the advent of T3; it is much more user friendly in many respects.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by moondog
If I only had 9 hours to spend in BJ, Tiananmen Square and Qianmen would not be close to the top of my list, but that's just me. Much depends on the OP's interests.
That may be, but it is probably the place which is easiest to get to from the airport. I would not recommend trying the forbidden city or anything like that, but just strolling around and have some food should be okey. Also depends if the OP has much luggage or so, which is a bit stressful on the always crowded metro. But hey you are the FT ambassador so you know probably every little corner in Beijing.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
IME, the only usable internet at PEK T3 is found upon purchasing a 3G SIM from the China Unicom shop... if you have an unlocked phone that supports tethering, this is probably your best bet.

Of course, as everyone else has said, you shouldn't plan on spending nine hours sitting around the airport – that's plenty of time to go exploring. Take a look at the Wikitravel page for Beijing to get some ideas.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:44 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Good luck with airport wifi in China or other places.
Soon it will be used about as much as pay phones.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:49 pm

Also depends if the OP has much luggage or so, which is a bit stressful on the always crowded metro.
He should store his luggage at the airport (assuming he can't check it in).

But hey you are the FT ambassador so you know probably every little corner in Beijing.
They gave me that title because I post here frequently; apart from this, I'm no different from you or anyone else. That having been said, I personally find the Tiananmen Square drill to be a bit stale. On the other hand, 798 is cool, as is Wudaokou, and the Gulou area (reference hutong thread). I place a preference on having unique experiences over viewing iconic images (i.e. what do you actually do in Tiananmen Square apart from marveling over its shear size and snapping a photo or two of Tiananmen?).
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by moondog

They gave me that title because I post here frequently; apart from this, I'm no different from you or anyone else. That having been said, I personally find the Tiananmen Square drill to be a bit stale. On the other hand, 798 is cool, as is Wudaokou, and the Gulou area (reference hutong thread). I place a preference on having unique experiences over viewing iconic images (i.e. what do you actually do in Tiananmen Square apart from marveling over its shear size and snapping a photo or two of Tiananmen?).
I did not mean anything bad about it. It just shows you have great knowledge (which you do have and I appricated your tips for my first visit there).

Yeah it is true what you say about Tiananmen, but if you are in Beijing for the first time that is probably what most people would go to.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 1:17 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
TSquare probably the most popular tourist attraction in China,
could be the most visited tourist spot in the world.... as its free.

1. Tiananmen Square
Tiananmen Square is the largest typical red tourism spot worldwide, and the symbol of China. Tiananmen Square, in the very heart of Beijing, is the largest city square in the world, and can hold one million people for public celebration or gatherings.

Tiananmen Square is the site of numerous parades and other celebrations, with great cultural significance because it was on the rostrum of Tiananmen Gate that Mao ZeDong declared the People's Republic of China on October 1st 1949. It is the national typical red tourism spot and ranks at the top of the sixteen tourist spots in Beijing.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 1:23 pm

Yeah it is true what you say about Tiananmen, but if you are in Beijing for the first time that is probably what most people would go to.
Assuming the OP is a fast walker and is willing to do the Palace Museum in 40 minutes or less, he could role with your Qianmen idea and also make it to Gulou with time to spare. Including his taxis to/from the airport, and his relaxation time in the Gulou area (which, he will surely require), this is a 7 hour itinerary.

That having been said, direct to Wudaokou, 798, or Gulou are much easier. In fact, it's possible to combine 2 of these 3 for less effort than the Qianmen to Goulou hike.

It's all up to the OP, but staying in the airport remains the worst option on the table.

PS - Store/check your luggage, OP.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's input. I was kinda expecting a yes and then finding my post somewhere on the 5th page.

I actually studied in Beijing in 2008, prior to Olympics so I know the city fairly well though I assume a lot has changed since then. I will take up the advice on looking around the city, miss the food, nothing like getting a plate for $1. Qianmen was being renovated while I was there so I think I'll check that out this time. And I'm sure 798 has some new work being shown.

Just a couple of more questions if you don't mind helping out. Do I have to go anywhere to get this 24 hour pass in the city? Also I remember that the subways use that fancy card thing which I don't have anymore. Should I buy a new one (forgot the cost) or is there a way I can get on without it (like buy a ticket). Much appreciated.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by You Gotta Travel

Just a couple of more questions if you don't mind helping out. Do I have to go anywhere to get this 24 hour pass in the city? Also I remember that the subways use that fancy card thing which I don't have anymore. Should I buy a new one (forgot the cost) or is there a way I can get on without it (like buy a ticket). Much appreciated.
The card is called yikatong more about that here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yikatong

And no there is no monthly pass or anything like that, just yikatong which you can top up with money. On the metro you do not save anything with it, as it basically just draws 2 RMB pr time you use the metro. The deposit is 20RMB. For 24 hrs I do not think it is worth it. It is always good to have some spare 1RMB notes or coins to hand to the cashier every time you use the metro(they are pretty quick). Even when I stayed in Beijing for 10 days I didn't bother to have that card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.