Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SNAFU: ID Required for Train Ticket Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:57 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by susiesan
Thanks jiejie. I had looked at cnvol before but didn't go far enough into it to see the fares. These are the real fares, not travel agency fares, right?
Real fares. Cnvol is not an agency website. They are rarely off the official by more than 1-2 RMB. Note that on many routes, cnvol will list Soft Seat fares when no soft seat carriage is available. I strongly suggest you learn to use 12306.cn and on the Master Transportation thread, there is another link that walks you through (in English and with screenshots) how to use the basics of the Chinese site.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
For "C' "D" and "G" trains need to purchase at the window as
machines won't read passorts.
Has anyone confirmed these machines won't dispense tickets without PP's despite what the press says? I haven't been on a train in a bit...
Old Jun 16, 2011, 1:14 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Well that was stupid.

Went and purchased tickets for a trip that day. Gave them my passport and all the clerk inputed was the last 4 numbers of my passport.

For my wife, they even went further and inputed only the first two letters.

As for the check, they didn't OPEN the passport.

Took it and then gave it back to us.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 1:18 am

Was speaking to a local yesterday about how stupid this is and his reply was, it has nothing to do with security.

He said, especially during Chinese New Year and other holidays - people go and buy up as many tickets as possible to resell at many times face value. To stop this practise, they have this new requirement.

If you have a Chinese ID card with RIFID, it is really quick and they automatically print your name on the ticket so nobody else can use the ticket.

Don't know how true this is but it kind of makes Chinese sence.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:39 am

Programs: various
There are also some locals with the more paranoid view who suspect that, in addition to curbing scalping, Big Brother also wants to keep more track of internal movements of people. Accomplishing this feat would require one of the world's largest databases, but I suppose nothing's beyond the Chinese govt, who also works on controlling the weather...

As far as ticket scalping toes, it's always been more serious and pervasive on the non-CDG trains at all times--not just holiday periods--so it's curious that the government wanted to start this Real ID thing with the fast trains while leaving the ZTK# trains alone.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Was speaking to a local yesterday about how stupid this is and his reply was, it has nothing to do with security.

He said, especially during Chinese New Year and other holidays - people go and buy up as many tickets as possible to resell at many times face value. To stop this practise, they have this new requirement.

If you have a Chinese ID card with RIFID, it is really quick and they automatically print your name on the ticket so nobody else can use the ticket.

Don't know how true this is but it kind of makes Chinese sence.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
It's not because of scalping

I discussed the possibility that the new rule was due to the prevalence of scalping during busy periods with a Chinese colleague. She said it's not likely due to the fact that locals tend not to buy the high price tickets for high speed trains.

People going home for Chinese New Year tend to buy the cheapest tickets possible. For most people, the cost of high speed tickets is way too expensive to even consider.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Red face exercising good business sense

I don't suppose if the reason was to prevent scalping during peak seasons on popular routes that they could apply this ID system only at that time and to certain trains. I'm guessing that this isn't the Chinese way. Perhaps it is too efficient.

Is there really scalping going on on the fast trains between Shanghai and Hangzhou or Shanghai and Nanjing?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by junipermike
I discussed the possibility that the new rule was due to the prevalence of scalping during busy periods with a Chinese colleague. She said it's not likely due to the fact that locals tend not to buy the high price tickets for high speed trains.

People going home for Chinese New Year tend to buy the cheapest tickets possible. For most people, the cost of high speed tickets is way too expensive to even consider.
For the lowly factory worker - this is so true.

However the middle class is also ballooning. Its these people that use the high speed trains. They can afford the ticket and prefer the convienence.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 6:11 pm

I don't suppose if the reason was to prevent scalping during peak seasons on popular routes that they could apply this ID system only at that time and to certain trains. I'm guessing that this isn't the Chinese way. Perhaps it is too efficient.

Is there really scalping going on on the fast trains between Shanghai and Hangzhou or Shanghai and Nanjing?
Yes. I can speak of the Shanghai - Hangzhou route personally (pre id days). I can get a ticket from a "friend" at about 2 times the face price but he called it convience fee included.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Of course.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:43 pm
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
I can get a ticket from a "friend" at about 2 times the face price but he called it convience fee included.
That "convenience fee" ain't cheap. In Beijing Yanjing beer is 60 RMB
at your hotel mini bar, walk across the street and its 4 RMB. Plus
its crappy beer.

08 Olympics 10x the face value for a ticket and the venue is half empty.

Double seems like the yellow bull is giving you a good deal.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
That "convenience fee" ain't cheap. In Beijing Yanjing beer is 60 RMB
at your hotel mini bar, walk across the street and its 4 RMB. Plus
its crappy beer.

08 Olympics 10x the face value for a ticket and the venue is half empty.

Double seems like the yellow bull is giving you a good deal.
Yanjing is not too bad. Worst price in Beijing on a restaurant was 18 RMB for 500 ml bottle. Even at the hotel bar the price was 15 RMB for Yanjing draft so not too bad imo. Best price I saw on a restaurant was Heiniken 500 ml (bottle) for 12 RMB. The hotel demanded 20 RMB for a 333 ml bottle of Heiniken. But then I stayed in a hybrid hotel/hostel so guess that makes more sense to the prices than upclass hotels.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Well that was stupid.

Went and purchased tickets for a trip that day. Gave them my passport and all the clerk inputed was the last 4 numbers of my passport.

For my wife, they even went further and inputed only the first two letters.

As for the check, they didn't OPEN the passport.

Took it and then gave it back to us.
Sounds like ticket sales/check is just as thorough as security checks for trains.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 5:50 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
The silly thing is here. Most recent foreign passports have RFID too, why can't the readers at the automatic machines accept those? Wave your passport against the reader, have it read off your name and passport number, then print your ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.