Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Beijing / PEK Hotel suggestions Pre 2009

Beijing / PEK Hotel suggestions Pre 2009

Old Jun 9, 08, 2:19 am
Ambassador, China

Programs: various
Look into the Zhaolong (Great Dragon) Hotel. It's also on Gongti Beilu, about an extra 1 minute walk from Comfort Inn. I'd probably go for it over the Swisshotel. I'm with Moondog on this--the Ritz-Carlton Beijing and the new JW Marriott are too far from the kind of action this poster is looking for.
Old Jun 23, 08, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Plat
Beijing / PEK Hotels - suggestions

Is there anything new right near the hotel? Maybe connected to the new terminal (which is super neat).

I have stayed at the sino-swiss plenty, it's not that nice but the pool is a good place to spend a day waiting for your layover.

How's the Crowne Plaza? I might've stayed (jet lag memory failure) but could be confusing it with the Ramada near PVG.

Anyplace else worth trying? I get in at 2pm and fly out at 11am the next morning, suggestions?

thx!
Old Jun 23, 08, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nerdkiller View Post

Anyplace else worth trying? I get in at 2pm and fly out at 11am the next morning, suggestions?
The new train should be online very soon. IIRC, it has stops near the Lido and Dongzhimen. I don't know of any hotels in the airport area that are nicer than the Sino Swiss.
Old Jun 28, 08, 9:57 am

Location: some days Chapel Hill, NC; other days Weihai, China
Programs: UA GS; MU; LH; AC; OS
Although it's 40 mins from the airport, the Intercontinental is highly recommended. Since you have basically a day, might as well stay near the center.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/interco...inancialstreet
Old Jul 22, 08, 9:40 pm

Thanks everyone for your reply. Just wanted to give an update and say that I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for the two nights instead.

I listened to the advice of you posters but ended up deciding against the Comfort Inn and wanted to be closer to Tianamen and Forbidden City in the end. Also it's a pretty short cab ride.

I went to MIX on a wednesday night from 12 to 3am, and it was still going strong at the time. From a friend, she said that Vic's is more house. Not sure if she is right but we only went to Mix..

Here are some of my observations/comments/criticisms:

1. Their venue is pretty huge!

2. Their DJs move from room to room and each DJ plays different music. The night I went there, they only had one Hip-hop DJ (the African/Black guy) which I followed over to the different room he played at. Why don't they just stick to the style of music in one room? Much simpler. Hip-hop DJ still was very subpar and didn't play very good music..

3. Chinese guys like to dance by themselves. The foreigners (white, others) were the only ones actively on the hunt. Why? Cultural difference? If you are a guy and not trying to hit on someone, you're wasting the dance space!

4. The bass was way too loud. Much louder than any club I've been in. Bass was possibly as loud/louder than any concert I've been in. Please lower the bass..

5. Dress Code. Some people are dressed really horribly.. Is this just another cultural difference? you don't dress to impress? No idea..
Old Jul 29, 08, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by studentbecometeacher View Post
I went to MIX on a wednesday night from 12 to 3am, and it was still going strong at the time. From a friend, she said that Vic's is more house. Not sure if she is right but we only went to Mix..
For patrons older than 25, Vic's is a lot better than Mix, IMO, but it's usually only good on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: