FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Bus Rental in Shanghai or Beijing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1212286-bus-rental-shanghai-beijing.html)

sidne May 4, 2011 5:22 pm

Bus Rental in Shanghai or Beijing

Anyone have recommendations for reliable companies to contact to rent a private bus/coach in Shanghai or Beijing?

I need a bus for 15 people for several visits a group is making. One of the group leaders is a native Mandarin speaker, so no guide is needed. Just the bus + driver.

Just to give you an idea of our needs:

Shanghai:
  • 1/2 day: Pudong to Songjiang Industrial Zone and back
  • 8 hours: in Shanghai

Beijing:
  • One way trip from Beijing Airport to Wangfujiang area hotel. Flight arrives at 10:00 pm
  • 4 hours: in Beijing.
  • 8-9 hours/full day: Summer Palace and Great Wall (Mutianyu)

Any suggestions or recommendations welcome!

moondog May 4, 2011 10:36 pm

Apart from using hotel concierges, you might want to jump on google or contact some of the drivers in our various drivers' threads. While none of those guys own buses, they presumably know people who do.

sidne May 5, 2011 12:23 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 16330707)
Apart from using hotel concierges, you might want to jump on google or contact some of the drivers in our various drivers' threads. While none of those guys own buses, they presumably know people who do.

Thanks. I have looked on Google and contacted a few places. I have no idea how reliable any of them might be, though.

I will try to see if contacting any of the drivers recommended here works and report back.

Any other suggestions still welcome!

mnredfox May 5, 2011 1:44 am

Originally Posted by sidne (Post 16331037)
Thanks. I have looked on Google and contacted a few places. I have no idea how reliable any of them might be, though.

I will try to see if contacting any of the drivers recommended here works and report back.

Any other suggestions still welcome!

moondog's post is the best. Your luck on reliability is going to be random. Go with one of the driver's contact info here. Likely he'll find a "buddy" to drive a bus.

sidne Jul 11, 2011 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by sidne (Post 16329513)
Anyone have recommendations for reliable companies to contact to rent a private bus/coach in Shanghai or Beijing?

I need a bus for 15 people for several visits a group is making. One of the group leaders is a native Mandarin speaker, so no guide is needed. Just the bus + driver.

Shanghai:
  • 1/2 day: Pudong to Songjiang Industrial Zone and back
  • 8 hours: in Shanghai

Beijing:
  • One way trip from Beijing Airport to Wangfujiang area hotel. Flight arrives at 10:00 pm
  • 4 hours: in Beijing.
  • 8-9 hours/full day: Summer Palace and Great Wall (Mutianyu)
!

I wanted to post my follow-up experiences here in case someone is in a similar situation. I ended up using a company I found on the web. I'll be happy to provide contact information if anyone wishes.

The buses were 21 seat Kinglon coaches that were relatively new, clean, and appeared to be well-maintained. The drivers were always on time and professional. The driver name and contact information was sent to me a couple of days before arrival.

I paid the full cost prior to arrival via Paypal (wire transfer was the other option). On the last day in each city we also tipped the driver.

8 hours in Shanghai: $251 USD
4 hours in Shanghai: $219 USD
4 hours in Beijing: $158 USD
8 hours in Beijing (Summer Palace and Mutianyu - ended up 10 hours with no extra charge): $282 USD
Airport transfer at night in Beijing: $105 USD

Let me know if you have any questions.

jiejie Jul 12, 2011 8:50 am

Originally Posted by sidne (Post 16712215)
I wanted to post my follow-up experiences here in case someone is in a similar situation. I ended up using a company I found on the web. I'll be happy to provide contact information if anyone wishes.

The buses were 21 seat Kinglon coaches that were relatively new, clean, and appeared to be well-maintained. The drivers were always on time and professional. The driver name and contact information was sent to me a couple of days before arrival.

I paid the full cost prior to arrival via Paypal (wire transfer was the other option). On the last day in each city we also tipped the driver.

8 hours in Shanghai: $251 USD
4 hours in Shanghai: $219 USD
4 hours in Beijing: $158 USD
8 hours in Beijing (Summer Palace and Mutianyu - ended up 10 hours with no extra charge): $282 USD
Airport transfer at night in Beijing: $105 USD

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for coming back and posting your experience. This adds up to $67 per person, which for the sake of convenience and keeping a group this big traveling together, I think is worth it.

sidne Jul 12, 2011 9:18 am

Originally Posted by jiejie (Post 16714013)
Thanks for coming back and posting your experience. This adds up to $67 per person, which for the sake of convenience and keeping a group this big traveling together, I think is worth it.

You're welcome. And I agree that it was worth it. Particularly compared to the the cost of signing up for a tour to go to Mutianyu and the Summer Palace (that then detours to the "Jade Factory" and the "Cloisonne Factory"...)

We were visiting companies in business dress and the students REALLY agreed it was worth it compared to schlepping through the metro and walking, etc. (We did do that during our free time.)

if anyone wants the name of the company I used, just PM me. I have no relationship with them other than the experience described here.

Sidne

mnredfox Jul 12, 2011 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie (Post 16714013)
Thanks for coming back and posting your experience.

+1