Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

hk-guangzhou airport

hk-guangzhou airport

Old Jun 9, 11, 11:49 pm
  #31  
Ambassador, China
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beijing
Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Posts: 6,662
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
<snip> - but the tickets would be on different itin's since my CDG-PVG and CAN-AKL tickets are already purchased and non-refundable, so I'm not certain if that would be allowed .
Talk to CZ, and see if a you can link a separate HKG-CAN CZ flight with the CAN-AKL flight you already have. Even if you can't, they should still be able to tag the bags to AKL and auto-transfer the luggage in CAN for onward. My gut feel is there is little risk of significant delay or cancellation except in the event of something like typhoon. Assuming you go ahead and get double-entry visas anyway to cover yourselves, you could always have Plan A be the connecting flight and in the event of a major problem that day, allow enough time to invoke Plan B which is ground transportation. One thing you might look into, since you say you have a lot of luggage, is a private car transfer from HK hotel directly to Guangzhou airport. While not cheap, it's probably still cheaper than (2) all-in plane tickets HKG-CAN. The one thing I wouldn't be keen to do with lots of luggage is schlepping it all over various forms of public transport. Remember that at the Chinese border crossing incoming (again), you could have Customs issues if carting a lot of luggage through the land crossing. At least expect the possibility of inquisitive officers. Another reason the plane connection option is preferred.
jiejie is offline  
Old Jun 10, 11, 1:07 am
  #32  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: HKG
Programs: Priority Club Plat
Posts: 12,311
With 2 or more people, I agree, a private car is definitely worth considering.
rkkwan is offline  
Old Jun 11, 11, 2:11 am
  #33  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DEN
Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 17,213
Originally Posted by rkkwan View Post
With 2 or more people, I agree, a private car is definitely worth considering.
I tend to agree. catharsis, with bags (as you indicated) and not having done the HKG/SZX border crossings, it might not be a good first to do. If you're adventurous and can keep an open mind (i.e. calling the carnyness of the border crossing a cultural experience), then go for it and do the transport.

If you dislike headaches, then I say private car or go for the flight option. But your flight questions are valid, so as jiejie suggest look into mitigating those risks/concerns.
mnredfox is offline  
Old Jun 11, 11, 11:20 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 902
Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
Talk to CZ, and see if a you can link a separate HKG-CAN CZ flight with the CAN-AKL flight you already have. Even if you can't, they should still be able to tag the bags to AKL and auto-transfer the luggage in CAN for onward. My gut feel is there is little risk of significant delay or cancellation except in the event of something like typhoon. Assuming you go ahead and get double-entry visas anyway to cover yourselves, you could always have Plan A be the connecting flight and in the event of a major problem that day, allow enough time to invoke Plan B which is ground transportation. One thing you might look into, since you say you have a lot of luggage, is a private car transfer from HK hotel directly to Guangzhou airport. While not cheap, it's probably still cheaper than (2) all-in plane tickets HKG-CAN. The one thing I wouldn't be keen to do with lots of luggage is schlepping it all over various forms of public transport. Remember that at the Chinese border crossing incoming (again), you could have Customs issues if carting a lot of luggage through the land crossing. At least expect the possibility of inquisitive officers. Another reason the plane connection option is preferred.
Originally Posted by rkkwan View Post
With 2 or more people, I agree, a private car is definitely worth considering.
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
I tend to agree. catharsis, with bags (as you indicated) and not having done the HKG/SZX border crossings, it might not be a good first to do. If you're adventurous and can keep an open mind (i.e. calling the carnyness of the border crossing a cultural experience), then go for it and do the transport.

If you dislike headaches, then I say private car or go for the flight option. But your flight questions are valid, so as jiejie suggest look into mitigating those risks/concerns.
Had a think and have come to the conclusion that we'll look into flying into CAN or SZX and doing the border crossing southbound - probably using a private car or the train. (when we aren't under any time pressure), and then take the CZ flight from HKG-CAN northbound.
catharsis is offline  
Old Jun 11, 11, 11:33 am
  #35  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: HKG
Programs: Priority Club Plat
Posts: 12,311
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
Had a think and have come to the conclusion that we'll look into flying into CAN or SZX and doing the border crossing southbound - probably using a private car or the train. (when we aren't under any time pressure), and then take the CZ flight from HKG-CAN northbound.
If I understand you correctly, you're going from Shanghai or somewhere in China to Hong Kong. Forget CAN as it's a big hassle. Either fly to HKG directly or SZX.
rkkwan is offline  
Old Feb 10, 12, 10:31 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tokyo, Singapore, Seoul
Programs: CX DM, OZ Diamond+, JAL JMB Nobody
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by rkkwan View Post
Where are you going from and to? It's a hassle to get from HKG to Hung Hom to start with, and after you get off the train at Guangzhou East, you still have to find a taxi or switch to subway - and with luggage, the GZ subway is not user friendly, lots of stairs, etc.
I make the HKG-GZ East trek once a month and prefer the rail route to the bus due to predictability at immigration (I don't hold a HKID and enter China on a multiple entry L visa).

If you don't have a lot of luggage and don't mind transferring trains, this route works well for me. For off peak hours, you're better off taking Airport Express to Kowloon station and using the free shuttle to Hung Hom or just booking one of the direct buses to GZ from HKG. Note that the intercity rail from HK to GZ doesn't run that often and its hours are limited.
  1. From HKG, Airport Express to Tsing Yi (1 stop)
  2. Tung Chung line from Tsing Yi to Nam Cheong (2 stops, about 7-8 minutes)
  3. West Rail line from Nam Cheong to Hung Hom station (3 stops, 6-7 minutes)

Hung Hom station is quite small so alighting and making your way to the intercity rail ticket counter won't take more than 2-3 minutes.
heavyascent is offline  
Old Sep 25, 12, 1:15 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: BOS/PVD, LIM, PTY
Programs: US CP, DL PM, UA Silver, HU/TJ Air Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat (Yay!)
Posts: 2,694
CAN-Shenzhen possible at night?

Well, I didn't want to start a new thread since I just have a simple question...

Is there any way to get from CAN to Shenzhen, preferably Luohu, from a flight arriving at 23:00. I don't care how annoying it is, but would prefer not to pay for a 'car service'. I can fly to SZX, but that means rushing to PEK in 3 hours from Tianjin. Plus, I know the CZ flight I want will discount their PE like they usually do.

I tried to look on baidu, and didn't get a real good answer. I know that Luohu is closed at night - planning on camping at the nearby HIX.

I booked a flight from HKG leaving at 10:00 (it was $350, to Europe), so that's why I did this!!
benzemalyonnais is offline  
Old Sep 25, 12, 9:09 pm
  #38  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: HKG
Programs: Priority Club Plat
Posts: 12,311
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais View Post
Well, I didn't want to start a new thread since I just have a simple question...

Is there any way to get from CAN to Shenzhen, preferably Luohu, from a flight arriving at 23:00. I don't care how annoying it is, but would prefer not to pay for a 'car service'. I can fly to SZX, but that means rushing to PEK in 3 hours from Tianjin. Plus, I know the CZ flight I want will discount their PE like they usually do.

I tried to look on baidu, and didn't get a real good answer. I know that Luohu is closed at night - planning on camping at the nearby HIX.

I booked a flight from HKG leaving at 10:00 (it was $350, to Europe), so that's why I did this!!
No idea if there's overnight buses from GZ to SZ, or where to take it. Last direct CAN-Shenzhen bus departs at 9:50p. But here are few other points you may find useful:

1. No overnight trains, but there's a 4:38 leaving GZ main and arrive SZ main at 6:13. Might be useful if you decide to find a cheap room near GZ station for a few hours. CAN's airport bus runs till the last flight arrival. 16RMB and gets to you GZ main train station.

2. Lohu/Lo Wu is not 24 hours, but Huanggang is, if you decide you want to get into HK overnight.

3. If you're staying in SZ, better use a coach service from Huanggang or Shenzhen Bay than to use the Lowu crossing, for easier and faster access to HKG.
rkkwan is offline  
Old Sep 26, 12, 11:04 am
  #39  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 31,119
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais View Post
Well, I didn't want to start a new thread since I just have a simple question...

Is there any way to get from CAN to Shenzhen, preferably Luohu, from a flight arriving at 23:00. I don't care how annoying it is, but would prefer not to pay for a 'car service'. I can fly to SZX, but that means rushing to PEK in 3 hours from Tianjin. Plus, I know the CZ flight I want will discount their PE like they usually do.

I tried to look on baidu, and didn't get a real good answer. I know that Luohu is closed at night - planning on camping at the nearby HIX.

I booked a flight from HKG leaving at 10:00 (it was $350, to Europe), so that's why I did this!!
Unless I'm mistaken, there are ferries between Shekou and HKIA that run fairly frequently. Even if this isn't the case, flying to CAN instead of SZX is kind of silly, even if the latter costs full fare. Normally, I would tell you to bite the bullet, and pony up for the TSN-HKG flight (almost always available with miles), but since you're going to need a hotel anyway, you're better off finding one in Shekou than anywhere in HK.
moondog is online now  
Old Sep 26, 12, 8:04 pm
  #40  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: HKG
Programs: Priority Club Plat
Posts: 12,311
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, there are ferries between Shekou and HKIA that run fairly frequently. Even if this isn't the case, flying to CAN instead of SZX is kind of silly, even if the latter costs full fare. Normally, I would tell you to bite the bullet, and pony up for the TSN-HKG flight (almost always available with miles), but since you're going to need a hotel anyway, you're better off finding one in Shekou than anywhere in HK.
First ferry from Shekou to HKG departs at 7:45a and arrives 8:15a, which is under the required 120min before flight. Therefore, they won't sell him the ticket.
rkkwan is offline  
Old Sep 27, 12, 12:10 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: BOS/PVD, LIM, PTY
Programs: US CP, DL PM, UA Silver, HU/TJ Air Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat (Yay!)
Posts: 2,694
Well, actually Shekou would work - the flight is at 10:20 on AF.....I did it last year, and the HI arranged it for me....waste of money though, but easy.

I've now decided that GZ is out of the picture, but KA came to mind - of course, then I've got 10+ hours at HKG, but I can easily make the 20:30 flight at PEK.

Maybe the best course of action is just booking a low-fare ticket on the MF flight TSN-SZX (1000 a/i or so) - hope I can get there by 18:45 - and then go to Shekou in the AM, or even Huanggang is OK.

I really can't leave TSN any earlier than 5 PM - so it's either this one flight or rushing over to PEK.
benzemalyonnais is offline  
Old Sep 27, 12, 12:40 pm
  #42  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 31,119
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais View Post
hope I can get there by 18:45 - and then go to Shekou in the AM, or even Huanggang is OK.
Shekou is a really nice place (in comparison with Lohu). Just find a hotel there, and you will be happy.
moondog is online now  
Old Sep 27, 12, 7:45 pm
  #43  
Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Malibu Inferno Ground Zero
Programs: UA AA CO
Posts: 4,619
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Shekou is a really nice place (in comparison with Lohu). Just find a hotel there, and you will be happy.
+1

Lohu at night walk , you encounter a tout every 5 ft.
By day pickpockets and dvd yao ma.
anacapamalibu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: