Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hk-guangzhou airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:49 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by catharsis
<snip> - but the tickets would be on different itin's since my CDG-PVG and CAN-AKL tickets are already purchased and non-refundable, so I'm not certain if that would be allowed .
Talk to CZ, and see if a you can link a separate HKG-CAN CZ flight with the CAN-AKL flight you already have. Even if you can't, they should still be able to tag the bags to AKL and auto-transfer the luggage in CAN for onward. My gut feel is there is little risk of significant delay or cancellation except in the event of something like typhoon. Assuming you go ahead and get double-entry visas anyway to cover yourselves, you could always have Plan A be the connecting flight and in the event of a major problem that day, allow enough time to invoke Plan B which is ground transportation. One thing you might look into, since you say you have a lot of luggage, is a private car transfer from HK hotel directly to Guangzhou airport. While not cheap, it's probably still cheaper than (2) all-in plane tickets HKG-CAN. The one thing I wouldn't be keen to do with lots of luggage is schlepping it all over various forms of public transport. Remember that at the Chinese border crossing incoming (again), you could have Customs issues if carting a lot of luggage through the land crossing. At least expect the possibility of inquisitive officers. Another reason the plane connection option is preferred.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
With 2 or more people, I agree, a private car is definitely worth considering.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rkkwan
I tend to agree. catharsis, with bags (as you indicated) and not having done the HKG/SZX border crossings, it might not be a good first to do. If you're adventurous and can keep an open mind (i.e. calling the carnyness of the border crossing a cultural experience), then go for it and do the transport.

If you dislike headaches, then I say private car or go for the flight option. But your flight questions are valid, so as jiejie suggest look into mitigating those risks/concerns.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jiejie
Talk to CZ, and see if a you can link a separate HKG-CAN CZ flight with the CAN-AKL flight you already have. Even if you can't, they should still be able to tag the bags to AKL and auto-transfer the luggage in CAN for onward. My gut feel is there is little risk of significant delay or cancellation except in the event of something like typhoon. Assuming you go ahead and get double-entry visas anyway to cover yourselves, you could always have Plan A be the connecting flight and in the event of a major problem that day, allow enough time to invoke Plan B which is ground transportation. One thing you might look into, since you say you have a lot of luggage, is a private car transfer from HK hotel directly to Guangzhou airport. While not cheap, it's probably still cheaper than (2) all-in plane tickets HKG-CAN. The one thing I wouldn't be keen to do with lots of luggage is schlepping it all over various forms of public transport. Remember that at the Chinese border crossing incoming (again), you could have Customs issues if carting a lot of luggage through the land crossing. At least expect the possibility of inquisitive officers. Another reason the plane connection option is preferred.
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I tend to agree. catharsis, with bags (as you indicated) and not having done the HKG/SZX border crossings, it might not be a good first to do. If you're adventurous and can keep an open mind (i.e. calling the carnyness of the border crossing a cultural experience), then go for it and do the transport.

If you dislike headaches, then I say private car or go for the flight option. But your flight questions are valid, so as jiejie suggest look into mitigating those risks/concerns.
Had a think and have come to the conclusion that we'll look into flying into CAN or SZX and doing the border crossing southbound - probably using a private car or the train. (when we aren't under any time pressure), and then take the CZ flight from HKG-CAN northbound.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catharsis
Had a think and have come to the conclusion that we'll look into flying into CAN or SZX and doing the border crossing southbound - probably using a private car or the train. (when we aren't under any time pressure), and then take the CZ flight from HKG-CAN northbound.
If I understand you correctly, you're going from Shanghai or somewhere in China to Hong Kong. Forget CAN as it's a big hassle. Either fly to HKG directly or SZX.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: CX DM, OZ Diamond+, JAL JMB Nobody
Where are you going from and to? It's a hassle to get from HKG to Hung Hom to start with, and after you get off the train at Guangzhou East, you still have to find a taxi or switch to subway - and with luggage, the GZ subway is not user friendly, lots of stairs, etc.
I make the HKG-GZ East trek once a month and prefer the rail route to the bus due to predictability at immigration (I don't hold a HKID and enter China on a multiple entry L visa).

If you don't have a lot of luggage and don't mind transferring trains, this route works well for me. For off peak hours, you're better off taking Airport Express to Kowloon station and using the free shuttle to Hung Hom or just booking one of the direct buses to GZ from HKG. Note that the intercity rail from HK to GZ doesn't run that often and its hours are limited.
  1. From HKG, Airport Express to Tsing Yi (1 stop)
  2. Tung Chung line from Tsing Yi to Nam Cheong (2 stops, about 7-8 minutes)
  3. West Rail line from Nam Cheong to Hung Hom station (3 stops, 6-7 minutes)

Hung Hom station is quite small so alighting and making your way to the intercity rail ticket counter won't take more than 2-3 minutes.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: SQ
CAN-Shenzhen possible at night?

Well, I didn't want to start a new thread since I just have a simple question...

Is there any way to get from CAN to Shenzhen, preferably Luohu, from a flight arriving at 23:00. I don't care how annoying it is, but would prefer not to pay for a 'car service'. I can fly to SZX, but that means rushing to PEK in 3 hours from Tianjin. Plus, I know the CZ flight I want will discount their PE like they usually do.

I tried to look on baidu, and didn't get a real good answer. I know that Luohu is closed at night - planning on camping at the nearby HIX.

I booked a flight from HKG leaving at 10:00 (it was $350, to Europe), so that's why I did this!!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Well, I didn't want to start a new thread since I just have a simple question...

Is there any way to get from CAN to Shenzhen, preferably Luohu, from a flight arriving at 23:00. I don't care how annoying it is, but would prefer not to pay for a 'car service'. I can fly to SZX, but that means rushing to PEK in 3 hours from Tianjin. Plus, I know the CZ flight I want will discount their PE like they usually do.

I tried to look on baidu, and didn't get a real good answer. I know that Luohu is closed at night - planning on camping at the nearby HIX.

I booked a flight from HKG leaving at 10:00 (it was $350, to Europe), so that's why I did this!!
No idea if there's overnight buses from GZ to SZ, or where to take it. Last direct CAN-Shenzhen bus departs at 9:50p. But here are few other points you may find useful:

1. No overnight trains, but there's a 4:38 leaving GZ main and arrive SZ main at 6:13. Might be useful if you decide to find a cheap room near GZ station for a few hours. CAN's airport bus runs till the last flight arrival. 16RMB and gets to you GZ main train station.

2. Lohu/Lo Wu is not 24 hours, but Huanggang is, if you decide you want to get into HK overnight.

3. If you're staying in SZ, better use a coach service from Huanggang or Shenzhen Bay than to use the Lowu crossing, for easier and faster access to HKG.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Unless I'm mistaken, there are ferries between Shekou and HKIA that run fairly frequently. Even if this isn't the case, flying to CAN instead of SZX is kind of silly, even if the latter costs full fare. Normally, I would tell you to bite the bullet, and pony up for the TSN-HKG flight (almost always available with miles), but since you're going to need a hotel anyway, you're better off finding one in Shekou than anywhere in HK.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Unless I'm mistaken, there are ferries between Shekou and HKIA that run fairly frequently. Even if this isn't the case, flying to CAN instead of SZX is kind of silly, even if the latter costs full fare. Normally, I would tell you to bite the bullet, and pony up for the TSN-HKG flight (almost always available with miles), but since you're going to need a hotel anyway, you're better off finding one in Shekou than anywhere in HK.
First ferry from Shekou to HKG departs at 7:45a and arrives 8:15a, which is under the required 120min before flight. Therefore, they won't sell him the ticket.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: SQ
Well, actually Shekou would work - the flight is at 10:20 on AF.....I did it last year, and the HI arranged it for me....waste of money though, but easy.

I've now decided that GZ is out of the picture, but KA came to mind - of course, then I've got 10+ hours at HKG, but I can easily make the 20:30 flight at PEK.

Maybe the best course of action is just booking a low-fare ticket on the MF flight TSN-SZX (1000 a/i or so) - hope I can get there by 18:45 - and then go to Shekou in the AM, or even Huanggang is OK.

I really can't leave TSN any earlier than 5 PM - so it's either this one flight or rushing over to PEK.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

hope I can get there by 18:45 - and then go to Shekou in the AM, or even Huanggang is OK.
Shekou is a really nice place (in comparison with Lohu). Just find a hotel there, and you will be happy.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:45 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
Shekou is a really nice place (in comparison with Lohu). Just find a hotel there, and you will be happy.
+1

Lohu at night walk , you encounter a tout every 5 ft.
By day pickpockets and dvd yao ma.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.