Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

hk-guangzhou airport

hk-guangzhou airport

Old May 1, 11, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl View Post
Unfortunately not. Shenzhen Airport to Macau and Hong Kong island to Macau is available at around 2000 HKD p.P. one way. However, no scheduled services (except flights on KA and CZ) are available to Guangzhou or CAN.
I agree, these services should not cost much more than a scheduled flight on this route.
Ah, I was imagining shimon (by himself) in one of those slick Sikorsky helicopters that are featured in movies like Wall Street... tinted windows, of course After posting, I checked charter rates for those birds out of curiosity; you're looking at around $2500 per hour, plus you presumably need to pay for the helicopter to return to HK. Meanwhile, if you're cool with a tiny Robinson helicopter, it's only $700 per hour and you can bring two more passengers.

Last edited by moondog; May 1, 11 at 5:50 am
Old May 1, 11, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Ah, I was imagining shimon (by himself) in one of those slick Sikorsky helicopters that are featured in movies like Wall Street... tinted windows, of course After posting, I checked charter rates for those birds out of curiosity; you're looking at around $2500 per hour, plus you presumably need to pay for the helicopter to return to HK. Meanwhile, if you're cool with a tiny Robinson helicopter, it's only $700 per hour and you can bring two more passengers.
Do you get miles for the $2500?
Old May 1, 11, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Where do you clear HK and Chinese immigration?
Old May 2, 11, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan View Post
Where do you clear HK and Chinese immigration?
I was wondering the same thing. My gut tells me that the tycoons that actually do this drill probably have the ability to get border control officers meet them at their destinations or else pre clear in HK. A different set of rules often applies to the uber rich.
Old May 2, 11, 6:30 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
A different set of rules often applies to the uber rich.
Or you have to be creative:

Chinese farmer and his handmade helicopter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l422VlRE4xs
Old May 30, 11, 8:20 pm

Programs: CX DM, OZ Diamond+, JAL JMB Nobody
I just took metro line 3 from CAN to GZ East Station a few days ago. First of all, it's not very obvious where the station entrance is from the arrival area but basically take the escalator down as far as you can. Travel time from the Airport South station to GZ East Station was about 35 minutes during rush hour, making it just slightly faster than a taxi. Trains were running about every 4 minutes at that time of day.

Can anyone describe the direct bus from HKG to GZ? What happens at the China border crossing? Is there any appreciable difference between the different bus companies?
Old May 30, 11, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heavyascent View Post
Can anyone describe the direct bus from HKG to GZ? What happens at the China border crossing? Is there any appreciable difference between the different bus companies?
There are two border crossings the bus companies will use - Huanggang or Shenzhen Bay - depends on schedule and company. You will know which one before you purchase your tickets.

For Huanggang, you get off bus and take all belongings at HK Immigration. After you exit HK, you get back on the bus (usually same one) for a one-minute ride over the bridge to Chinese side. Get off bus again with all belongings, and clear Chinese immigration and customs. They'll tell you which bus bay to reboard. Usually, it won't be the same bus, though it'll be the same company's for remaining trip.

For Shenzhen Bay, HK and Chinese immigration are housed under same roof on Chinese land. So, you only get off bus once. Again, they'll tell you which bus bay to reboard; and again, most of the time it won't be the same vehicle.

There are no discernible differences between the companies.
Old Jun 8, 11, 7:50 am

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
There are two border crossings the bus companies will use - Huanggang or Shenzhen Bay - depends on schedule and company. You will know which one before you purchase your tickets.

For Huanggang, you get off bus and take all belongings at HK Immigration. After you exit HK, you get back on the bus (usually same one) for a one-minute ride over the bridge to Chinese side. Get off bus again with all belongings, and clear Chinese immigration and customs. They'll tell you which bus bay to reboard. Usually, it won't be the same bus, though it'll be the same company's for remaining trip.

For Shenzhen Bay, HK and Chinese immigration are housed under same roof on Chinese land. So, you only get off bus once. Again, they'll tell you which bus bay to reboard; and again, most of the time it won't be the same vehicle.

There are no discernible differences between the companies.
This sounds like a bit of a rigmarole...

Is it safe to assume that the train Hung Hom to Guanzhou East and then the taxi or subway to the airport is less trouble? - particularly if one has lots of baggage?
Old Jun 8, 11, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
This sounds like a bit of a rigmarole...

Is it safe to assume that the train Hung Hom to Guanzhou East and then the taxi or subway to the airport is less trouble? - particularly if one has lots of baggage?
Where are you going from and to? It's a hassle to get from HKG to Hung Hom to start with, and after you get off the train at Guangzhou East, you still have to find a taxi or switch to subway - and with luggage, the GZ subway is not user friendly, lots of stairs, etc.

Last edited by rkkwan; Jun 8, 11 at 7:25 pm
Old Jun 8, 11, 4:24 pm

Where are you going from and to? In your last post, you were asking from HKG to GZ. It's a hassle to get from HKG to Hung Hom to start with, and after you get off the train at Guangzhou East, you still have to find a taxi or switch to subway - and with luggage, the GZ subway is not user friendly, lots of stairs, etc.
Actually going to/from the IC HK, which I understand is pretty close to hung hom in Kowloon in TST ( please excuse my ignorance if not the same place - but it seems close(ish) to a major MTR station in Kowloon in any case).

....and to clarify - I will almost certainly need to get from HK (the IC HK in kowloon specifically, most likely) to CAN.

I may also want/need to get from CAN or SZX to HK a couple of days earlier - depending on relative flight costs and schedules into CAN,SZX or HKG as I will be flying into the area from points north.
Old Jun 8, 11, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually going to/from the IC HK, which I understand is pretty close to hung hom in Kowloon in TST ( please excuse my ignorance if not the same place - but it seems close(ish) to a major MTR station in Kowloon in any case).

....and to clarify - I will almost certainly need to get from HK (the IC HK in kowloon specifically, most likely) to CAN.

I may also want/need to get from CAN or SZX to HK a couple of days earlier - depending on relative flight costs and schedules into CAN,SZX or HKG as I will be flying into the area from points north.
Oh, sorry it was late. Didn't realize you were not the same poster as I responded to earlier.

Anyways, yes, other than a private car, it's probably easiest for you to use the "intercity" train from Hung Hom to GZ East. However, with luggage, just take a taxi from the IC to the HH station, which cost little. Instead of hauling luggage from the IC down to the East TST for that one stop to Hung Hom, and haul everything back up to the main concourse to check-in and go through immigration for the "intercity".
Old Jun 8, 11, 10:52 pm
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Catharsis, as I told you on your other itinerary thread, spend the money, book in advance, and fly that short hop from HKG to CAN in order to get to your CAN-AKL flight. It is much more sane and organized to accomplish all the formalities and luggage check in HKG, then wash your hands of it until AKL. And it will also give you a few extra hours in HK that would otherwise be spent dealing with ground transportation and border crossings. Take the train....and you'll be so-o-o-r-r-r-y and wishing you'd spent the extra coin on the CZ 634 short flight.
Old Jun 9, 11, 10:06 am

Programs: US CP, DL PM, UA Silver, HU/TJ Air Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat (Yay!)
There are buses from CAN to Shenzhen. It's a good option if you have lots of baggage because the airport express buses are new and cheap and easy. I'm not sure if there's a direct bus to HK (probably but not listed on baiyunport site), but this bus should make an easy connection in Shenzhen. There's also the subway to the train station.....I think this is also very straightforward...there is a direct connection on the subway and the train station is kind-of easy to figure out. I think that if you're arriving at a non-rush hour time this is the way to go. The subway is usually crowded in GZ, but it is easy enough to use so take your pick here.

On the return, I really don't think you should make a day of it traveling to GZ and worrying about the transportation. Either buy the ticket to CAN from HKG or go the day before and sleep peacefully in GZ. This way you can see a few sights the next day before leisurely making your way to the airport instead of worrying about transportation. There are lots of good (and cheap) new hotels in GZ and all of the good enough ones will have airport express bus service from the hotel directly to CAN which makes life easier
Old Jun 9, 11, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
Catharsis, as I told you on your other itinerary thread, spend the money, book in advance, and fly that short hop from HKG to CAN in order to get to your CAN-AKL flight. It is much more sane and organized to accomplish all the formalities and luggage check in HKG, then wash your hands of it until AKL. And it will also give you a few extra hours in HK that would otherwise be spent dealing with ground transportation and border crossings. Take the train....and you'll be so-o-o-r-r-r-y and wishing you'd spent the extra coin on the CZ 634 short flight.
I think the flight may be the best option, and thanks for the suggestion - I was just trying to get more info on the various alternatives and when I saw a specific thread on that very topic I added my comment/query about the Bus option

If I can check bags through etc. in HKG that would be ideal and really change the value proposition for me - but the tickets would be on different itin's since my CDG-PVG and CAN-AKL tickets are already purchased and non-refundable, so I'm not certain if that would be allowed .

That would also take away my biggest single concern about taking the flight - i.e. what happens if it is delayed/cancelled? - do I end up listening to the "you had a point-to-point itinerary HKG-CAN and we have no obligation to you in respect of your missing your flight to AKL " (which is the spiel one would get if a similar thing happened on many airlines in Europe). If I would basically be in CZ's hands in the event of any issues then I could relax even if the flight was delayed/cancelled, knowing that they would still get us to AKL somehow
(actually it's well worth investigating that option, thanks, must call CZ)

I'm leaning towards the flight ... but isn't FT all about people seeking and sharing information?
Old Jun 9, 11, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That would also take away my biggest single concern about taking the flight - i.e. what happens if it is delayed/cancelled?
That flight only gets cancelled during extreme weather events that would also affect CAN-AKL. And, it rarely gets delayed by more than 2 hours.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: