FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   taxi to Beijing airport at 5 am on a Saturday (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1203703-taxi-beijing-airport-5-am-saturday.html)

teslagirl Apr 9, 2011 7:33 am

taxi to Beijing airport at 5 am on a Saturday

I have a flight to Hong Kong next Saturday at 8 am. I was planning to leave for the airport between 5 and 5:30; will it be difficult to find a taxi on the street at that hour? I am staying on campus at UIBE, in the northeast of the city. It's not a hotel, exactly, so I don't think they could call for a cab (if anyone is even up at that hour), and I don't have a phone.

I should have gotten up at 5 this morning and gone out to the street to check it out, but alas, I am not one to get up that early unless I absolutely must. So I turn to you for advice. Thanks in advance!

mnredfox Apr 9, 2011 10:11 pm

Well, hard to say. In general cab's are not too hard to find so long as it's a busy street. Can you have someone help you call and book a cab? Many times when I'm in Beijing I have the hotel book one for me, so I know it can be done. Why don't you find a hotel nearby and ask them to book one for you.

moondog Apr 9, 2011 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by teslagirl (Post 16187795)
I have a flight to Hong Kong next Saturday at 8 am. I was planning to leave for the airport between 5 and 5:30;

First of all, you're being too conservative; 6a should be fine. Second, the hotel (finding taxi for you) suggestion is good, but you can also simply tell one of the many drivers you encounter during the next 6 days your aspirations; if they can't make it themselves, they will hook you up with one of their buddies.

Jamoldo Apr 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 16191404)
First of all, you're being too conservative; 6a should be fine. Second, the hotel (finding taxi for you) suggestion is good, but you can also simply tell one of the many drivers you encounter during the next 6 days your aspirations; if they can't make it themselves, they will hook you up with one of their buddies.

+1

Any cabbies you run into - tell them the plan. You will find at least 1 guy who will give you his mobile number and note his lisense plate. Then call (or get the hotel to) and reconfirm. He will totally be waiting for you at said time and date and will probably give you a wake up call :)

I've done it a bunch of times.

mnredfox Apr 10, 2011 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jamoldo (Post 16194898)
+1

Any cabbies you run into - tell them the plan. You will find at least 1 guy who will give you his mobile number and note his lisense plate. Then call (or get the hotel to) and reconfirm. He will totally be waiting for you at said time and date and will probably give you a wake up call :)

I've done it a bunch of times.

+1. I love this about China, how dependable cabbies are. They might try to rip you off at first, but once a price and time is agreed upon they will always honor that rate and always be on time (IMO).