Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Beijing Airport Express at night?

Old Feb 24, 11, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles, WestJet Frequent Guest

I'll be arriving into Beijing at 22:15 PM on UA 897 this Saturday. Is it realistic to make the last Airport Express train leaving Terminal 3 at 22:51 after clearing customs and immigration, and collecting my bags?
Old Feb 24, 11, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by mike.joe.brad View Post
I'll be arriving into Beijing at 22:15 PM on UA 897 this Saturday. Is it realistic to make the last Airport Express train leaving Terminal 3 at 22:51 after clearing customs and immigration, and collecting my bags?

IIRC, the last train leaves T3 at around 1030p or 1040p. If so, then you might have a shot. But, be advised that seemingly half of the trip from T3 into town is the jaunt over to T2. For this reason, I only take the train when departing from T3 or arriving at T2. In your case, a taxi will be much faster.

Last edited by moondog; Feb 24, 11 at 4:12 am
Old Feb 25, 11, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles, WestJet Frequent Guest
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
In your case, a taxi will be much faster.
Thanks for your help! The hotel where I'm staying (in Dongsheng district) recommended the same and indicated that a taxi would likely take ~30 minutes and be 100 yuan, or less... much more affordable than I would have thought.
Old Mar 3, 11, 8:53 am

The last train departs T3 Terminal at 22:51 and depart T2 terminal at 23:10, you don't have to taxt a taxi.
Old Mar 3, 11, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by worm88 View Post
The last train departs T3 Terminal at 22:51 and depart T2 terminal at 23:10, you don't have to taxt a taxi.
Time is money.
Old Mar 3, 11, 10:16 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, UA-1K
If you miss the last train and want to save some money, you can grab an airport shuttle bus Line 3 to Beijing railway station for 16RMB. At that time of night, I doubt it would take more than 45min. From there, your hotel should be pretty close if you're staying in Dongcheng, probably no more than a 20RMB taxi.
Old Mar 3, 11, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Time is money.
+1

Maybe I'm lazy, but after 10 - 20 hours in transit I want something easy and straightforward (and mindless).
Old Mar 3, 11, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
+1

Maybe I'm lazy, but after 10 - 20 hours in transit I want something easy and straightforward (and mindless).
If it was just me and I had a carryon, it's usually of minimal bother to me. The times I don't have a car picking me up and depending on the time of day, I'll take the train as I can definitely beat the cab to where I usually want to go.

Naturally, for those who are unfamiliar with Beijing or can't speak Mandarin, cabbing it might indeed be the easiest and most mindless thing to do. But it's just another option put out there for the OP as we don't know what his/her specific travel plans and budget are.
Old Mar 3, 11, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by mackenzie77 View Post
If it was just me and I had a carryon, it's usually of minimal bother to me. The times I don't have a car picking me up and depending on the time of day, I'll take the train as I can definitely beat the cab to where I usually want to go.

Naturally, for those who are unfamiliar with Beijing or can't speak Mandarin, cabbing it might indeed be the easiest and most mindless thing to do. But it's just another option put out there for the OP as we don't know what his/her specific travel plans and budget are.
Originally Posted by worm88
]The last train departs T3 Terminal at 22:51 and depart T2 terminal at 23:10, you don't have to taxt a taxi.
I appreciate worm88's schedule research because it confirms what I suggested upthread; the T3 to T2 leg consumes almost as much time as T2 to Sanyuanqiao. From T3 at night, the taxi will beat the train 95 times out of 100.
Old Mar 4, 11, 9:36 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
+1

It's not straightforward if your taxi has a fender-bender at the airport exit. That happened to me a few trips back and I had to walk back through an endless parking lot to the taxi rank, bags and all!
Old Mar 4, 11, 10:08 am

From T3 at night, the taxi will beat the train 95 times out of 100.
Uh, I know.

But I should have been more clear. My POV is I could care less how long I had been in the air, the important thing to me is when I arrive, what's the fastest option that will get me where I want to go. At 10:30pm, I'd probably take a cab. At 5:30pm though? Metro! Metro! Metro!

Some other poster seemed to unilaterally reject non-cab options but that's simply presumptuous; it doesn't hurt to throw out other options for the OP.
Old Mar 5, 11, 7:00 am
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Some other poster seemed to unilaterally reject non-cab options but that's simply presumptuous; it doesn't hurt to throw out other options for the OP.
Agreed. There are individual situations where the cab is best, sometimes the airport express-to-subway combo is better, and sometimes the airport shuttle bus. On extremely rare occasions a hei che (illegal taxi) but that's for Advanced Students only. There are some rules-of-thumb we can establish but no one-size-fits-all.
Old Mar 5, 11, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
Agreed. There are individual situations where the cab is best, sometimes the airport express-to-subway combo is better, and sometimes the airport shuttle bus. On extremely rare occasions a hei che (illegal taxi) but that's for Advanced Students only. There are some rules-of-thumb we can establish but no one-size-fits-all.
Since we're listing all options let's not forget about the rental car. I think Avis is closed at that hour but there are at least two other rental car counters there which supposedly stay open until midnight. Obviously if you were doing this you should make a booking before hand.
Old Mar 5, 11, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
My advice is take a cab. At that time there won't be any traffic (shouldn't be at least) and the cabs are fast and relatively cheap.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: