Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

How to deal with the smell of Chinese food and tap water?

Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

I am currently in a small city in China and the tap water has this horrible smell. Obviously I am not drinking it but I am not sure if I should bath in it even for short while. I have washed some clothing with it last night which has retained the smell of the water. Anyone have any advice?

Anyone have advice on how to deal with the smell of Chinese exotic street food (e.g. cat liver, etc.)? Some of it has a really interesting smell to us Westerners.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
Well my first answer would be to find somewhere that sells a "inline" water filter if you are going to be in the same location for a while.

These typically contain activated charcoal for the odors/flavors and maybe some copper and/or silver alloys to help try to clean the water one last time before it gets to you.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: SQ
haha - what city are you in??

for the water, I just usually avoid it except for the shower, and will brush my teeth with bottled water.....i've accidentally drank it plenty of times and never died so you should be ok....

the food is never that bad tasting - just have to spring for it. i always laugh when i hear foreigners who afraid to have stinky tofu in taiwan...that's nothing compared to some of those livers and intestines...
Old Feb 23, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: various
If the water is so bad that your clothes are retaining the smell of it, you should get out of wherever it is you are and move on. If it's a location you must be at for a few days, check out a room in another hotel (look at the room first and run the water in the bathroom before committing)--and change if necessary. Generally, while the water is unsafe, it's not that bad in most cities. Beijing and Shanghai tap water doesn't really have any unusual smells, for instance.

As for food smells, I always find after a trip to SE Asia, most of China smells relatively tame. Your nose may just be sensitive. There's nothing you can do about it except 1) catch a bad cold and get stuffed up 2) clothespin for your nose, but you will look silly in public 3) scuba gear and oxygen tank, which is bulky and stare-provoking wearing it down the street, but has the added advantage of protecting you from heavy air pollution/smog. Given these alternatives, most people find they get used to the food smells after a few days in China. Except stinky tofu, I still can't stand to be around it, no matter how much practice I get. I have heard of some squeamish types dabbing a tiny bit of vanilla extract under the nose, but have never tried this myself.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
About the smell on clothes - would Febreze help? (I haven't tried it, just an idea.)
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:05 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by jiejie
If the water is so bad that your clothes are retaining the smell of it, you should get out of wherever it is you are and move on. If it's a location you must be at for a few days, check out a room in another hotel (look at the room first and run the water in the bathroom before committing)--and change if necessary. Generally, while the water is unsafe, it's not that bad in most cities. Beijing and Shanghai tap water doesn't really have any unusual smells, for instance.

As for food smells, I always find after a trip to SE Asia, most of China smells relatively tame. Your nose may just be sensitive. There's nothing you can do about it except 1) catch a bad cold and get stuffed up 2) clothespin for your nose, but you will look silly in public 3) scuba gear and oxygen tank, which is bulky and stare-provoking wearing it down the street, but has the added advantage of protecting you from heavy air pollution/smog. Given these alternatives, most people find they get used to the food smells after a few days in China. Except stinky tofu, I still can't stand to be around it, no matter how much practice I get. I have heard of some squeamish types dabbing a tiny bit of vanilla extract under the nose, but have never tried this myself.
Been here over a year, the water stinks.

In Shanghai sometimes it stinks.

Run the tap for 5 minutes before you need it if it is a stinky day, stinky days vary and I have yet to pinpoint the source.

As for the food smells, start smoking or have Vick's Vapor Rub under your nose.

If your clothes smell after washing and you are in an apartment, move. The lines must all be bad. My washing has never had a problem but I always extra rinse the clothes and I have utilities included in the lease. The Chinese believe if you put your clothes in the sunlight to dry to UV rays will disinfect them. I call BS.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Even in Shanghai, the water sticks at the Sheraton at times. Not much you can do about it unless you move.

As for the smells. We have sealed our apartment as much as possible. We went to a hardware store and purchased one sided insulation tape and sealed our windows better. Thus no more NEW funky smells. However for the smell already there the best thing is to clean. It took a week and a lot of bleach, mr clean and elbow grease but the risidual smell is now gone.

Then you get used to it more and more.

Its like living beside a garbage dump
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Well my face is irritated today. Is this water safe to be washing dishes in? It doesn't seem safe to enough for sink contact.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Even in Shanghai, the water sticks at the Sheraton at times. Not much you can do about it unless you move.

As for the smells. We have sealed our apartment as much as possible. We went to a hardware store and purchased one sided insulation tape and sealed our windows better. Thus no more NEW funky smells. However for the smell already there the best thing is to clean. It took a week and a lot of bleach, mr clean and elbow grease but the risidual smell is now gone.

Then you get used to it more and more.

Its like living beside a garbage dump
To some extent, living in China is like living IN a garbage dump. I had never noticed Shanghai water to be particularly stinky but maybe I was just lucky where I was staying. In Beijing the water doesn't stink, but it is so hard and full of minerals that it's practically a solid rather than a liquid. It should take care of itself in a few years however, when Beijing completely runs out of water unless that pipeline bringing us all the south's water actually ends up working...and bringing with it those southern water smells.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 3:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jiejie
It should take care of itself in a few years however, when Beijing completely runs out of water unless that pipeline bringing us all the south's water actually ends up working.
The situation sort of reminds me of water issues in Las Vegas, Phoenix, Los Angeles, etc. However, there are several important differences between Beijing and those places:

-It is the capital
-the guys in Zhongnanhai have the ability to take water from anywhere within (Mainland) China's borders
-I have a hunch they won't be going thirsty anytime soon
Old Mar 2, 2011, 3:47 am

When i was in University in China i only used tapwater to shower. the rest i did with botteled water. they usually take the water out of the rivers and if you have seen the river you won't drink tapwater anyways :-)

when it comes to washing clothes - had no problems there but we had a regular washingmachine in the dorm.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Shimon
Well my face is irritated today. Is this water safe to be washing dishes in? It doesn't seem safe to enough for sink contact.
Ok, feel like the mom here, if your face is irritated, happened to me, go to the doctor and if you don't have insurance go to the corner pharmacy and just show them your face. They will give you something and it will probably work. Newbies to China get skin conditions, it is normal for people with sensitive skin to react to China environment. New things and the pollution.

Run the tap before you do anything.

Water is safe for only laundry and dishwashing if you are in a decent building.

You should have a huge bottle of water with the stand in your apartment, use the hot for rinsing dishes. If you do not have this "big bottle" re-think why and where you are.

When my husband first moved here he had to stay at the hovel before we got in the somewhat decent serviced apartment and there was a sterlizer in the kitchen for the dishes.

PM me if you need more help, it is hard to get used to this place.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Maybe I've been here too long, but the water long ago ceased to bother me. I still don't drink it, but I use it for everything else without problems: washing clothes, washing dishes, brushing my teeth, showers, etc. I've never had any problems.

Then again, I eat street food, ride a bike around without a helmet, and generally tend to ignore "advice" on the assorted health and safety dangers of Chinese cities...

As far as the smell of food goes, if you're going to be living here, you'll have to just get used to it. Indeed, if you taste it, you might even discover some things you like (even stinky tofu is worth a try)!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Hahaha. Thanks mum. I know how to take care of my skin. I have cleared it up myself. I am staying in a city that still has no control over what it's factories dump into the sewage AKA rivers. I am currently in the best hotel in this city. It considers itself 4 stars because all the facilities required by a 4 star hotel are located within a 5 minutes drive. Like the gym... 5 minutes away and 20 rmb per hour... And new light bulbs which last a few hours and produce next to no light.. only a 5 minute drive to the light bulb factory!

This city sounds like it is going to get its act together within 5 years. Next year a 5 star hotel is opening right next to all the factories (I can imagine it... all facilities are within a 1 minute drive). By 2015 there will be a train station with high speed rail.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Scifience
Maybe I've been here too long, but the water long ago ceased to bother me. I still don't drink it, but I use it for everything else without problems: washing clothes, washing dishes, brushing my teeth, showers, etc. I've never had any problems.

Then again, I eat street food, ride a bike around without a helmet, and generally tend to ignore "advice" on the assorted health and safety dangers of Chinese cities...

As far as the smell of food goes, if you're going to be living here, you'll have to just get used to it. Indeed, if you taste it, you might even discover some things you like (even stinky tofu is worth a try)!
I ate the roasted chestnuts until I saw the dog peeing on the bags of chestnuts next to the stall on a busy street in the French Concession.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.