Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Train from Shanghai to Wuxi

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mnredfox
You're getting near rush hour, but hop on the Maglev then Taxi. Maglev line is fast, accepts foreign CC's, and rarely has a wait. Be quick in the airport, and most of the time the maglev leaves on the quarter hour (during the day), so time your walk from the terminal appropriately (sometimes I walk quickly).

Total time from Maglev leaving (7 min) to Railway from Longyang (35) is about 45 min. But traffic could be bad too (esp if raining), so plan accordingly.
Don't you think the bus to Hongqiao would make more sense? (I was under the impression that the vast majority of Wuxi bound trains departed from there.)
Old Aug 12, 2011, 3:01 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite, CX, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold
You're getting near rush hour, but hop on the Maglev then Taxi. Maglev line is fast, accepts foreign CC's, and rarely has a wait. Be quick in the airport, and most of the time the maglev leaves on the quarter hour (during the day), so time your walk from the terminal appropriately (sometimes I walk quickly).

Total time from Maglev leaving (7 min) to Railway from Longyang (35) is about 45 min. But traffic could be bad too (esp if raining), so plan accordingly.
Thanks mnredfox! Just wondering how does one but tickets? I read we have to present our passports? So do I just go up to the counter and tell them what i need to buy?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by keslergo
Thanks mnredfox! Just wondering how does one but tickets? I read we have to present our passports? So do I just go up to the counter and tell them what i need to buy?
Well, you can buy online like Jiatong does, or you can queue in the station, where you'll be requested to provide a copy of your passport (confirmed, acceptable) or an actual passport in order to buy a ticket.

Back on topic, I'm pretty sure that my suggested approach is superior to mnredfox's on several levels:

-rush hour is a non factor when going around the city (like the bus does)
-by contrast, the Maglev will deposit you on the wrong side of the river and traffic between Long Yang Road and Shanghai Stn can be intense
-Hongqiao Stn is nicer
-in either case, if you're traveling with a PRC ID card holder, they'll be able to purchase a ticket for you at a machine
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moondog
Don't you think the bus to Hongqiao would make more sense? (I was under the impression that the vast majority of Wuxi bound trains departed from there.)
Well, moondog is a huge bus fan. I personally have never done it, but I do agree that the ease is worth it, so long as you know what bus to get on and have the certainty of it.

Trying to figure out why the bus you're on is going the wrong way with a tight schedule, luggage, and no mandarin skills is not a good idea if you ask me.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:17 am

Well, moondog is a huge bus fan. I personally have never done it, but I do agree that the ease is worth it, so long as you know what bus to get on and have the certainty of it.

Trying to figure out why the bus you're on is going the wrong way with a tight schedule, luggage, and no mandarin skills is not a good idea if you ask me.
The bus that travels between PVG and SHA has large "1" on the screen above the driver, and this isn't exactly classified information:

http://shanghaiairport.com/chn200912040215131/
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:39 am

Hey... for about $20,000 the airline will land in Wuxi just for you. That is probably the quickest way if your interested in arguing.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moondog
The bus that travels between PVG and SHA has large "1" on the screen above the driver, and this isn't exactly classified information:

http://shanghaiairport.com/chn200912040215131/
I see you've never gone on a specific bus line in the wrong direction assuming it's the right one.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:52 pm

I see you've never gone on a specific bus line in the wrong direction assuming it's the right one.
Well, no. It would be nearly impossible to go the wrong direction on an airport bus because most stop in precisely two places (#5 is a notable exception, but I don't think it's possible to take it from Lujiazui to People's Square or the train station). The only other scenario in which I resort to buses is during taxi droughts; in such cases, I know exactly where I want to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.