Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Domestic China flights

Domestic China flights

Old Jan 19, 11, 10:28 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
Posts: 293
Domestic China flights

Does anyone have any experience with pros/cons price etc. ?

Will be ex HK or Shanghai to mainland.
tkflyer is offline  
Old Jan 19, 11, 3:24 pm
  #2  
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,428
Please follow this thread in the FT China Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
obscure2k is offline  
Old Jan 19, 11, 6:17 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,949
Originally Posted by tkflyer View Post
Does anyone have any experience with pros/cons price etc. ?

Will be ex HK or Shanghai to mainland.
More specifics, please. What sort of research have you done to date?
moondog is offline  
Old Jan 20, 11, 4:42 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: KIX, UKB, YVR
Programs: AC
Posts: 2,270
Originally Posted by tkflyer View Post
Does anyone have any experience with pros/cons price etc. ?

Will be ex HK or Shanghai to mainland.
Shanghai IS part of the mainland.

If you do a search, you will see many threads about ctrip or elong.
Taiwaned is offline  
Old Jan 20, 11, 5:05 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, Very Confused
Posts: 683
generally none have really impressed even when compared to US domestics - heard many stories of late and lackluster service. From HK you have more options to fly with a Taiwanese or HK carrier like Cathay
medic-again is offline  
Old Jan 20, 11, 1:26 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,949
Thus far, this thread is one of the least useful I've ever witnessed on FT.
moondog is offline  
Old Jan 20, 11, 1:47 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Newport Beach, California, USA
Posts: 36,062
Originally Posted by medic-again View Post
generally none have really impressed even when compared to US domestics - heard many stories of late and lackluster service. From HK you have more options to fly with a Taiwanese or HK carrier like Cathay
I disagree with your characterization. I find service on domestic carriers far exceeds that provided by U.S. domestic carriers. There are more FAs, they are more attentive, even short flights include a snack or meal and multiple drink services (all complimentary), and planes are spotless. I wish U.S. domestic carriers could match the service provided by their Chinese counterparts. Where Chinese domestic service falls down is, as you note, flights frequently depart late. The Chinese also tend to ignore boarding order -- as soon as boarding starts, there will be a general rush to the gate. In China, unlike in the U.S., I make it a point of being, "gate lice."

As for pricing, domestic China service is down right cheap compared to what we're used to paying in the U.S for comparable distances. Service ex-HKG tends to be more than, for example, SZX or CAN, but that's true of almost all pricing in the Hong Kong SAR, compared to the rest of the PRC.
PTravel is offline  
Old Jan 20, 11, 2:31 pm
  #8  
Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Malibu Inferno Ground Zero
Programs: UA AA CO
Posts: 4,567
[QUOTE=PTravel;15698880
As for pricing, domestic China service is down right cheap compared to what we're used to paying in the U.S for comparable distances. [/QUOTE]

Doesn't seem to me China domestic flights are cheap anymore.

You have any stats or calculations to compare pricing?
anacapamalibu is offline  
Old Jan 20, 11, 2:45 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Newport Beach, California, USA
Posts: 36,062
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu View Post
Doesn't seem to me China domestic flights are cheap anymore.

You have any stats or calculations to compare pricing?
I don't. I can only go by my experience and that of Mrs. PTravel. I was last in China in June. Mrs. PTravel has been back in December and is there right now. Though, of course, bargain fares in the U.S. can be had if its the right destination and the right time, we've found that domestic China fares are routinely low by comparison.
PTravel is offline  
Old Jan 20, 11, 2:49 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SDF
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 13,706
generally speaking (YMMV!!) flights from HKG to China are very expensive by comparison to domestic China flights.

For example, Cathay (incl Drangonair) flights Shanghai-Hong Kong (or vv) are around the USD500-600 mark. That's every seat, every day. And flights are often full. (I have seen a couple of specials on the CX website for something like CNY1290 from shanghai to hkg, but I have never been around at an eligible time to book one and I fly that route an awful lot.

You can get some other airlines such as China Eastern or Hong Kong Airlines, but again prices are very expensive (like $400 and up).

Compare that to a domestic flight from Guangzhou or Schenzen to Shnaghai and you're looking at about USD180 return. But it costs time and money to get to those ports from HKG which eats up the saving.

If you are flying HKG-Shanghai and choose Cathay, I would select the once daily flight into SHA airport - very close to the city centre and cheap by taxi to get to your hotel.
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Old Jan 20, 11, 3:02 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Newport Beach, California, USA
Posts: 36,062
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
generally speaking (YMMV!!) flights from HKG to China are very expensive by comparison to domestic China flights.

For example, Cathay (incl Drangonair) flights Shanghai-Hong Kong (or vv) are around the USD500-600 mark. That's every seat, every day. And flights are often full. (I have seen a couple of specials on the CX website for something like CNY1290 from shanghai to hkg, but I have never been around at an eligible time to book one and I fly that route an awful lot.

You can get some other airlines such as China Eastern or Hong Kong Airlines, but again prices are very expensive (like $400 and up).

Compare that to a domestic flight from Guangzhou or Schenzen to Shnaghai and you're looking at about USD180 return. But it costs time and money to get to those ports from HKG which eats up the saving.

If you are flying HKG-Shanghai and choose Cathay, I would select the once daily flight into SHA airport - very close to the city centre and cheap by taxi to get to your hotel.
I agree with your points, and would only note this:

Though Hong Kong is part of the PRC, it is a Special Administrative Region (SAR) and, from the standpoint of the traveler, is, for all intents and purposes, a separate country. Cathay (and Dragonair) are not Chinese airlines. The last time I checked, they were Swire Group, a non-PRC company. I'm not even sure if they operate domestic flights within the PRC, except from HKG.
PTravel is offline  
Old Jan 20, 11, 4:01 pm
  #12  
Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Malibu Inferno Ground Zero
Programs: UA AA CO
Posts: 4,567
I picked a couple random dates that don't involve holidays and
are not too close or far out.

The cities are comparable in size.

LAX to SEA 954 miles
SHA to CTU 1031 miles

roundtrip

lowest price comparison

LAX to SEA 4 carriers at $189.00 A/I on orbitz
SHA to CTU ctrip early bird specials at $184.00 A/I

I think the days of cheap flights in China are over, but was nice
until that rmb started moving.
anacapamalibu is offline  
Old Jan 20, 11, 5:04 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Newport Beach, California, USA
Posts: 36,062
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu View Post
I picked a couple random dates that don't involve holidays and
are not too close or far out.

The cities are comparable in size.

LAX to SEA 954 miles
SHA to CTU 1031 miles

roundtrip

lowest price comparison

LAX to SEA 4 carriers at $189.00 A/I on orbitz
SHA to CTU ctrip early bird specials at $184.00 A/I

I think the days of cheap flights in China are over, but was nice
until that rmb started moving.
I'm not questioning your numbers, but may I ask: was the quote obtained inside or outside China? I've found that booking within China is always less.

Also, LAX to SEA for that little? Either that reflects a heavily restricted fare, or there is a lot of competition on that route. I fly SNA to SEA on occasion and, though only 50 miles more, the price is usually double or triple.
PTravel is offline  
Old Jan 20, 11, 5:24 pm
  #14  
Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Malibu Inferno Ground Zero
Programs: UA AA CO
Posts: 4,567
It was priced thru ctrip from US. I haven't found the pricing
using elong or ctrip in China or Chinese version, much different. Its easy to check though.

With the yuan adjustment and high inflation in China, airline tickets
now are 30-40% higher then they were not too long ago. At least
in US dollars.

For the same dates
rountrip
Ningbo - Chengdu the cheapest is $246.00 ctrip
Santa Ana to Seattle orbitz cheapest $158.00 on UA

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Jan 20, 11 at 5:35 pm
anacapamalibu is offline  
Old Jan 20, 11, 5:50 pm
  #15  
Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Malibu Inferno Ground Zero
Programs: UA AA CO
Posts: 4,567
Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
I disagree with your characterization. I find service on domestic carriers far exceeds that provided by U.S. domestic carriers.
Plus the passengers board quickly, sit still, and keep their mouths shut.
anacapamalibu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: