Do USD ATMs exist in China?

Old Nov 24, 10, 4:07 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, OZ*G, AA Plat
(double post)

Last edited by jamar; Nov 24, 10 at 11:31 pm
Old Nov 24, 10, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, DL, BA, LH
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
If I could figure out a reliable way to get them into the US banking system, I'd be thrilled.
You might check with Citibank, they have branches in SHA, BJS, CTU and some other places. They have a Citi/Citigold office in the Peace Hotel. Their CN accts accept deposits in 10 currencies incl. USD and you might be able to make USD deposits there to a US based account. They allow linkage between their US accts and Citi accts in other countries for fee-free transfers.
Old Nov 24, 10, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fsfguy View Post
You might check with Citibank, they have branches in SHA, BJS, CTU and some other places. They have a Citi/Citigold office in the Peace Hotel. Their CN accts accept deposits in 10 currencies incl. USD and you might be able to make USD deposits there to a US based account. They allow linkage between their US accts and Citi accts in other countries for fee-free transfers.
I did check with them, but those guys pretty much told me to pound sand when it became apparent that I wasn't planning on parking a 6 figure (US) balance there.... I later learned that starting off with $5-10k and telling them you'll cover the rest "next week" is supposedly an effective strategy.

Anyway, I appreciate all of the advice. I'm optimistic that I'll figure out a slightly better arrangement (than the sock drawer strategy) when I get back there.
Old Nov 25, 10, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Anyway, I appreciate all of the advice. I'm optimistic that I'll figure out a slightly better arrangement (than the sock drawer strategy) when I get back there.
Check this thread out:

http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/phpbbfo...e-t118211.html

The demand draft + scan & deposit idea appears to be cheap and fast. Though it does require your US bank to accept deposits through uploads.
Old Nov 25, 10, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by tauphi View Post
The demand draft + scan & deposit idea appears to be cheap and fast. Though it does require your US bank to accept deposits through uploads.
Ah never mind, this won't work for you since you're starting with physical USD notes, not RMB.
Old Dec 4, 10, 10:25 am

Programs: US CP, DL PM, UA Silver, HU/TJ Air Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat (Yay!)
HSBC is definitely the way to go for this kind of stuff....the world's local bank is also the best bank in my opinion...

But I used to be with BOA, and I know they partner with China Construction Bank...meaning you get no ATM fees and get USD/EUR from them at no cost...I once remember exchanging 100,000TWD with them in SH because no one would do it elsewhere so I imagine they could get you USD at a reasonable rate...
Old Dec 4, 10, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais View Post
But I used to be with BOA, and I know they partner with China Construction Bank...meaning you get no ATM fees and get USD/EUR from them at no cost...I once remember exchanging 100,000TWD with them in SH because no one would do it elsewhere so I imagine they could get you USD at a reasonable rate...
My local BoC branch is now accepting TWD transactions.
Old Dec 9, 10, 7:27 am
Original Poster

My local BoC branch is now accepting TWD transactions.
What is TWD? Do you possibly mean NTD?
Old Dec 9, 10, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by HKtraveller View Post
What is TWD? Do you possibly mean NTD?
Right, thanks for nit-picking

As if anyone would still be walking around with a wad of TWDs

Actually no, TWD is still the currency code:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWD
Old Dec 10, 10, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Right, thanks for nit-picking

As if anyone would still be walking around with a wad of TWDs

Actually no, TWD is still the currency code:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWD
And you can't convert in google if you use ntd, you have to use twd. Google after all is the final word on everything...
Old Dec 13, 10, 10:57 pm

No. Why do you need USD in China anyway?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: